Chapala.com Webboard

TIP REQUIREMENT OR NOT

Zeb

As I understand it, one does not need a TIP if only going a few miles past the Mexico border.  We will be entering through Pharr and plan to stop in Reynosa, then back to USA.  The car is US plated and driver is US citizen, just entering for a day to drop me off in Reynosa.  Will he need a TIP?  It seems many people cross the border every day and go back and forth, so what is the story on that?

Good point above. I had a friend who drove into Piedras Negras for the afternoon from Eagle Pass.  His wife was driving and was soon stopped by the police for a minor infraction.  The car was towed by the police.  He went to the police station to pay the fine and retrieve the car.  His wife's name was not on the title and he did not purchase Auto insurance for Mexico.  The police considered it as a stolen vehicle. The car was not released.  He continued making car payments for 4 years to keep his credit clean. 

1 hour ago, Kiko said:

Good point above. I had a friend who drove into Piedras Negras for the afternoon from Eagle Pass.  His wife was driving and was soon stopped by the police for a minor infraction.  The car was towed by the police.  He went to the police station to pay the fine and retrieve the car.  His wife's name was not on the title and he did not purchase Auto insurance for Mexico.  The police considered it as a stolen vehicle. The car was not released.  He continued making car payments for 4 years to keep his credit clean. 

What a mess.   

16 hours ago, RickS said:

No you will not need to get a TIP for the that trip within the Frontera. However your US insurance will not cover you and you may want to check out getting some short term Mexican car insurance.

Rick: Thank you for your response.  He did get Mexican Insurance, so when we go through Pharr then we just show what documents and to whom?  I haven't crossed the border via auto  in quite some time