Chapala.com Webboard

PAYING HOUSEHOLD HELP THIS WEEK.

ezpz

I'm well aware that on legal holidays you either give your help a paid day off or pay them double if they work.  Today, Monday, is the legal holiday.  But many towns here including Ajijic where I live, are celebrating with their parades on Wed. according to the GR.  My maid comes on Wed. the 20th, the actual Dia de Revolucion.  I just want an official confirmation that she does not get double pay on Wed., only on Monday.  I could see where some might try to have it both ways.  Gracias.

4 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

It is triple time if they work the day.

Yes, what Angus posted is correct. They get their normal pay for the day as Holiday pay. OK, they put that in their pocket. They either leave and have the day off or work it if you both agree. At the end of the day you pay them double what you just gave them this morning. So they get triple time if they work and you pay them double if they actually do work. Simple, right?

Well, a bunch of responders seemed not to actually read the OP they were responding to. The OP's maid normally works Wed., not Monday. Wed. isn't an official holiday. If the maid wants to take Wed off she does it without pay. If she wants to trade Wed for a day agreeable to both of them, she gets paid normal pay for the day she chooses. if she chooses Monday, she doesn't get paid double or triple- she's trading the day for the Wed. An employee can't decide to trade a normal work day they want off for a holiday for which they'd get paid double or triple.

• Thanks 1

I copied the following from Ajijic News:

The next big National Holiday in Mexico is Dia de Revolucion, on November 20, which celebrates the French-style revolution of the highly oppressed poor against the rich and corrupt rulers only 100 years ago, at which time Mexico began a semblance of democracy and equality. The legal holiday is Nov. 20 but it is also a Monday holiday on November 18 with banks, government and schools closed.

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Well, a bunch of responders seemed not to actually read the OP they were responding to. The OP's maid normally works Wed., not Monday. Wed. isn't an official holiday. If the maid wants to take Wed off she does it without pay. If she wants to trade Wed for a day agreeable to both of them, she gets paid normal pay for the day she chooses. if she chooses Monday, she doesn't get paid double or triple- she's trading the day for the Wed. An employee can't decide to trade a normal work day they want off for a holiday for which they'd get paid double or triple.

The OP did not say anything about "switching days". She simply wanted to be sure the maid could not claim Wednesday was the holiday since it is the parade day. The maid had not said anything about wanting Wednesday off (according to the OP). Perhaps someone can convolute this a little more, let's wait and see. Angus politely reminded the OP that working a holiday means triple pay, not double as the OP had said.

• Like 2