Chapala.com Webboard

Need advise on hooking up headphones to my TV

Eric Blair

I have a 10 year old Panasonic. I would like to have a set of earphones that will not block the sound from the TV itself.

The only audio output I can see is a "Digital Audio Out" receptacle and I believe that is only for sending a signal to an A/V unit for a home theater..

Can someone suggest my best option?

I'm willing to get a new TV (or used) if that's my only option.

Thanks.

These are absolutely your best bet. Amazon.com.mx or Amazon.com. They are Radio Frequency, so you can wear them anywhere around the house. Been using the for years and years. They are not Bluetooth. They are designed to take the basic audio out on the back of most TVs.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Sennheiser-RS120-Inalámbrico-On-ear-Negro/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3VAW8G8GPHLJ4&keywords=sennheiser+rs+120&qid=1573931796&sprefix=sennheiser+rs%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

These are absolutely your best bet. Amazon.com.mx or Amazon.com. They are Radio Frequency, so you can wear them anywhere around the house. Been using the for years and years. They are not Bluetooth. They are designed to take the basic audio out on the back of most TVs.

https://www.amazon.com.mx/Sennheiser-RS120-Inalámbrico-On-ear-Negro/dp/B0001FTVEK/ref=sr_1_1?__mk_es_MX=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=3VAW8G8GPHLJ4&keywords=sennheiser+rs+120&qid=1573931796&sprefix=sennheiser+rs%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-1

Great review on those here:  https://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/sennheiser/rs-120.htm

Looked them up on Amazon U.S., the price is essentially the same as Amazon Mexico and includes free delivery.  I'm getting a set.  Thanks very much for the post and the link CG.

6 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I use those and my wife listens to the regular sound.It's your only option of quality. I ordered mine from Sennheiser US because that's where I could get the unit I wanted.Had them send it to a friend in ABQ no charge and he sent it to me by US Mail

How about a Bluetooth sound bar that can accept digital audio out from the TV? You can get some Bluetooth earbuds or connect a smart phone to the sound bar and use wired headphones through the microphone jack.

Some of the new TVs actually support Bluetooth which should allow you to connect any Bluetooth device directly eliminating the need for extra equipment.

I am assuming that most people are using either a satellite box or cable box or even only a dvd set up... those things are your "source" as detailed in this article. Your "source" will probably have the connections that you need (and not the actual TV).

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00049501

The next link is very long but covers a lot of territory and options...

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/05/how-to-connect-wireless-headphones-to-tv/

From the below link... " IMPORTANT: If you want to receive audio via the headphones while at the same time hearing audio from the TV speakers, connect the headphones to your cable or satellite box rather than your TV. "

https://www.sony.com/electronics/support/articles/00023605

Get Michael Merryman to look at what you have . That's who hooked up mine among other things. What the OP is looking for is regular sound which can be through a sound bar and a Senneheiser headphone unit that can be controlled separately at the same time for the hard of hearing person so that they don't turn up the regular volumn and cause there partner a major headache.

On 11/16/2019 at 2:24 PM, Eric Blair said:

There is no basic audio out, or any audio out on the back of the TV, only the digital audio out connection.

I'll look again.

That is still basic audio out, whatever format it is. And as RickS says, you can get a converter. For just about any connection, at Steren. In this case the headphones already come with a number of connectors, and I am using the Senns on two completely different types of output from the TV.

image.thumb.png.45ed03d11e7a1ca012a81cc56683fc9c.png

• Like 1

On 11/17/2019 at 7:33 PM, ComputerGuy said:

That is still basic audio out, whatever format it is. And as RickS says, you can get a converter. For just about any connection, at Steren. In this case the headphones already come with a number of connectors, and I am using the Senns on two completely different types of output from the TV.

image.thumb.png.45ed03d11e7a1ca012a81cc56683fc9c.png

So this one won't mute the regular audio?

I think what the OP wants is a senn unit headphone that he can turn as loud as he wants while at the same time his partner can listen to regular sound from a soundbar or direct from TV That's  what we use and the senn unit is hooked into the Shaw receiver. My wife can't even here it no matter how loud I turn it.

More or less, but not necessarily a soundbar. Fortunately, the Shaw boxes have more audio outs than some TVs; eg. HDMI, RCA, and Digital. A decent sound bar can take those. With some setups, an A/B switch is going to be needed. If it's just the TV speakers, then no problem at all. The headphones have their own volume control.

10 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

More or less, but not necessarily a soundbar. Fortunately, the Shaw boxes have more audio outs than some TVs; eg. HDMI, RCA, and Digital. A decent sound bar can take those. With some setups, an A/B switch is going to be needed. If it's just the TV speakers, then no problem at all. The headphones have their own volume control.

I have edited my former post for clarity. I have been using a Senn unit for the hearing impaired for about 15 years. First purchase was in Canada from my hearing aid practitioner. Here is a pic of the latest version of what i have. Unfortunately the agent for Senn in Mexico didn't have what I wanted and Senn is required not to compete so I ordered direct,had it sent NC to a friend in ABQ who in turn mailed it to me here.

sennheiser product_detail_x2_desktop_RS_860_Front_RGB_red-article-image.jpg

Yes, the RS 2000s. These are great, because they hang lightly, almost like a stethoscope. Are they RF? They claim 50 metres. I am not in any way an expert on frequency ranges, but one of the benefits of the other Senns is that they are RF, so you can even go up on your roof and still be connected. Means you never have to miss a word when you go to the kitchen to make your tea. The specs for the 2000s are 2.4 to 2.4835 GHz, which is the same as WiFi and BT.

We used to have a pair for my Mom called TV Ears, which were very similar, but only line-of-sight. tvears-analog-right-666x800.jpg

And for those interested, there are also a couple of brands of soundbar now specializing in focusing their sound for people with hearing difficulties.

AccuVoice-AV203-Sound-Bar.jpg

Ah, the 860. Now that I know, I see some differences. The 860 has twice the battery time (although with our Senns we just put them back on the charging stand and probably would never listen for 9 hours straight, let alone the 18 available with the 860). I see they also have different profiles for speech and music, which the 2000s do not. Seems like the better choice between the two.

And the Senns we use are over-the-ear, not in-the-ear, so the person using them is forever having to take them off to talk. That is something that the TV Ears obviated, and I assume also the 860s.

Got my RS 120 headphones from Amazon Mexico on Friday, same price as U.S., delivered exactly as promised.  Set them up, charged overnight and have been using since.  Didn't need a different adaptor plug than the one supplied, worked perfect.  Great sound, comfortable, absolutely no static or interference.  I am really pleased with them!   Many thanks to CG for the information and link!

• Like 1