Chapala.com Webboard

I will take a chance on this post. INFORMATIONAL POST ONLY.Costco Return Policy

Eric Blair

I am putting this up for information and not discussion.

Over the years, here and NOB, there have been posts about the very liberal return policy.

I bought something at Costco and there was a major problem, so I returned it within two weeks. It was not an electronic and some other item that have limited return time.

There was a sign posted that says returns were subject to a 20% return charge.  I paid the 20%.

I checked with Costco corporate IN THE u.s.  I was told return policies, including any restocking charges, were up to the discretion of the Costco Manager in any store outside of the U.S.

• Sad 2

48 minutes ago, Xena said:

What is the information part?

The information is that the Costco return policy outside of the US is up to individual stores and may not be as liberal as NOB. Also I didn't know that there was a 20% restocking fee.

16 minutes ago, johanson said:

I believe Xena bought the product here and returned it to the same Costco store from which it was purchased., I'm guessing that it was purchased at one of the two stores in or near Guadalajara.

I believe that it was Eric Blair and not Xena.....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Eric Blair said:

It was bought at Costco in Guadalajara and returned to the same store.

The information was that according to the main office of Costco, when it is a Costco outside of the U.S., the Manager makes the rules.

I suppose with so many newbies there are people who do not yet realize that things are different here from the U.S. 

Costco was really good to me on the one time that I had to return an electronic item. Long story short, it was the Lopez Mateos one (not by the Gallerias) and I had purchase security cameras, not knowing that they were wired when we needed wireless. There was actually a legitimate reason why, but it was still 31 days after the purchase when I was finally able to return them...in the exact same condition as they were on the day of purchase.  It was one day out of their acceptable return policy. The electronics manager said, "No," but the woman from Customer Service who was helping me then spoke with the Big Cheese. When they looked up my record and saw that I did a lot of shopping there, they gave me a one-off exemption. Of course, I immediately turned around and spent even more! I would have accepted a final "No, " if I'd had to, but BC was smart and made a very nice gesture that has kept me loyal.