Chapala.com Webboard

Telmex Service Problems

I have been to the Telmex office three times in the last week to report issues with my internet (it goes on an off and the speed has dropped to .40). Each time they have told me that a technician will be out the next day. Has not happened yet.

Anyone else experience this kind of problem with Telmex? Were you able to solve it?

The office won't help with Internet problems directly. You first have to call Telmex in Mexico City on the 800 number, ask for an English operator if needed and make a report. They will give you a report number and send the request to local Telmex service. If you don't get resolution after a few days you have a report number you can use to call again for a status update.

Yes. Everyone in our neighborhood  has this problem. And no we have not been able to solve it. It has been going on for months.

I would suggest unplugging the modem for at least a minute and then restarting. This usually gives at least temporary relief.

A call to the 800 number might get you connected to a good technician who will spend some time trying to improve your connection.

The office manager in Ajijic says this problem is due to poor and insufficient DSL infrastructure in Ajijic.

47 minutes ago, Sam Laundon said:

I have been to the Telmex office three times in the last week to report issues with my internet (it goes on an off and the speed has dropped to .40). Each time they have told me that a technician will be out the next day. Has not happened yet.

Anyone else experience this kind of problem with Telmex? Were you able to solve it?

Unfortunately, the staff at the TelMex office here are wankers. They actually lie about sending in reports. They spend most of their time trying to look busy. You are only one in a long line, a very long line, of people who have received no satisfaction over the years dealing with that office.  As John Shrall reports, call the 01-800 123-2222 number, and ask for English.

43 minutes ago, bedbug said:

Yes. Everyone in our neighborhood  has this problem. And no we have not been able to solve it. It has been going on for months. I would suggest unplugging the modem for at least a minute and then restarting. This usually gives at least temporary relief. A call to the 800 number might get you connected to a good technician who will spend some time trying to improve your connection. The office manager in Ajijic says this problem is due to poor and insufficient DSL infrastructure in Ajijic.

Unplugging the modem is a 10-second deal. And instead of that, I do a factory reset: hold a pin in the little hole on the back until the front lights start changing their behaviour, then release. 5 or 6 minutes later, it will have regained contact with the Internet.

• Like 1

The Telmex man finally showed up yesterday and got our service back to where it was. Unfortunately, he did something to the modem that makes the wifi unusable. Will need to go the the office to get another modem. I know about all the tricks with reseting and restarting the modem, but these did not work. At least I have usable service now.

Sorry Sam, don’t get your hopes up.  Like Computer Guy said, they are not efficient  at the Telmex office in Ajijic.  I went last week to get a new modem only to be told they don’t have modems at the office and to call the 800 number.  Hopefully you have more success with the 800 number than going to the local office.  

1 hour ago, Sam Laundon said:

The Telmex man finally showed up yesterday and got our service back to where it was. Unfortunately, he did something to the modem that makes the wifi unusable. Will need to go the the office to get another modem. I know about all the tricks with reseting and restarting the modem, but these did not work. At least I have usable service now.

First question: how do you know it's the modem? The test is: does your laptop/tablet/cell phone NOT SHOW the Infinitum WiFi in the list? If it shows, then it is not the modem.

There is a WiFi "button" on every modem that turns it on or off.Look for it on most TelMex modems on the side, but, sometimes on the front. Not to be confused with WPS, which is an auto-connect button for other uses. Unfortunately, at least one of their modems uses one button for both. if the WiFi light is OFF at the modem, look for the button to turn it on. If the WiFi light is ON at the modem, it is not the modem, generally.