Chapala.com Webboard

New taxi driver in Ajijic

A neighborhood friend informed me that he now was a taxista, having broken 2 fingers in a construction accident.  He lives in "El Centro" and knows this area very well. He's a nice young man with a family and speaks english as a native from his years of living in California. He doesn't mind late night or early morning airport runs, trips to Guadalajara or waiting for you at Walmart or the doctor, so give him a call---

German Chavez 333-502-6385

On 11/15/2019 at 2:49 PM, Mostlylost said:

So he is driving a licensed taxi?     Or is he someone who wants to drive people for pay?  If so does he have the proper driver's license and insurance to carry paying passengers?

I asked him and he said he is registered as a driver with Uber and carries the proper insurance. German is a nice guy and knowledgeable of the area.

5 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

Correct!

By not using the uber app you will not be covered by any insurance or disputes.

Theres been dozens of these ghost uber drivers locally using the logo and uber name. Not recommended at all. 

!00% agree. For your safety & protection. No matter how nice anyone is..If you are paying for a ride you should use a licensed taxi, or the Uber application. 

I doubt that anyone would pay a private individual they don't know in Canada or the USA for taxi services. Why would they ever consider it here????

13 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

I doubt that anyone would pay a private individual they don't know in Canada or the USA for taxi services. Why would they ever consider it here????

You know the answer to that question, just trying to stir up trouble? LOL

No you are by your accusation. Personal comments are not part of my statement, nor my question.  Maybe things are different where you live.   

It is always amazing to me that people will do things here that they would never even consider to do at home. So I do not know the answer to my question as you are stating. 

My statement and my question are both logical.... not personal or accusatory.  

I am sure you will find the need to attack me again... so sad.

• Like 2

Sorry if you felt attacked, not at all what I had in mind, mea culpa

Having owned and operated a BnB in Ajijic for 6.5 years...the answer to your question came quickly to my mind based on that experience...Saving a few pesos at any cost. 

With over 2100 distinct guests, that means not counting repeat visitors, I'd say around 15% fell into the category of being obsessed with saving a few pesos. Thank goodness the vast majority were not that way. I had operated a business in Texas for several years before selling and moving to Ajijic. Nowhere near 15% of my customers there were like that, way less than 5% so it was a real eye opener for me.

38 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

With over 2100 distinct guests, that means not counting repeat visitors, I'd say around 15% fell into the category of being obsessed with saving a few pesos. Thank goodness the vast majority were not that way. I had operated a business in Texas for several years before selling and moving to Ajijic. Nowhere near 15% of my customers there were like that, way less than 5% so it was a real eye opener for me.

Right on! my legitimate taxi driver was a friend before we used his services and I refuse to use Uber and anybody else that doesn't have to shell out a whole bunch of money to do what he does. That's why he's more "expensive",it costs him a ton of $'s to operate. I was in the hospital last week for 3 days and he took me there, helped me register then stayed until he knew I was going to get looked after then came to get me and helped me book out.  We are not nor ever have been obsessed like your 15%.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

A neighborhood friend informed me that he now was a taxista, having broken 2 fingers in a construction accident.  He lives in "El Centro" and knows this area very well. He's a nice young man with a family and speaks english as a native from his years of living in California. He doesn't mind late night or early morning airport runs, trips to Guadalajara or waiting for you at Walmart or the doctor, so give him a call---

Thanks for the info. Booked him. Will give an up-date!

On 11/15/2019 at 9:26 AM, cafemediterraneo said:

An excellent recommendation. He drove us to the airport: arrived 10 minutes early, nice clean car, excellent English and safe driving. Add him to your list of people to hire, he's good and reliable. 

• Like 1