Chapala.com Webboard

Vancouver Wings(?)

heidinrick

Heidi and I both love wings so, we thought we'd give Vancouver Wings a try. We ordered a Pepsi and, sadly, that turned out to be the best part of the meal! First of all, they weren't wings...they were hard as a bring winglets. I'm talkin' itty-bitty, tiny, damn, I hope we weren't eating pigeon! I guess I can sum up the entire experience in two words, disgust ing!

• Haha 1

Interesting, Rick. I have thought of going there many times... they just open very late for lunch. The tables go out about 1 pm, but the oil isn't hot and the wings aren't prepared. They don't go in ahead of opening hours to prep. As a former restaurant owner yourself, does that make any sense?

My feeling is it's a front for money laundering, so they don't really care about the food or the hours.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Interesting, Rick. I have thought of going there many times... they just open very late for lunch. The tables go out about 1 pm, but the oil isn't hot and the wings aren't prepared. They don't go in ahead of opening hours to prep. As a former restaurant owner yourself, does that make any sense?

My feeling is it's a front for money laundering, so they don't really care about the food or the hours.

Vancouver mafia?

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, heidinrick said:

Sedvjng that "quality" prodjct, they aren't going to launer very much money. Probably the worst meal we've had sjnce we arrived!

Money launderers don't want "physical" customers nor want to serve actual food. Everything is just make believe, gross sales, expenses, etc. The resulting "profit" after taxes becomes laundered money that can be deposited. Lot of that going on.

Nothing to see here...move along.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vancouver Wings has many locations in GDL, owned by one of the S A´s that likes to put down as many stores as they can get away with. They are very successful with the younger market in GDL and saw that Wings Army, another multilocated business, was doing very well here and decided to grab  onto the coattails-

Kind of like El Carnal, which was one fish restaurant too much for the area,. this was one "wings" store too many as well.  Might have worked if they had as good a product or better than the competition, but fell way short of that.  They have a low ball lease and they can hope for a miracle before renewal or termination of same.

Heaven forbid that they would improve the product as that would be a sure sign of failure in their mind. :D  Being forced to upgrade by the competition is not a sign of bravery in Mexico. The Niños Heroes syndrome.

• Like 1

I think they might have done well if they had stayed in the original Wings army location... up by the theatres and with lots of parking. But no, they moved down to in front of Lake Taco where the only four parking spots belonged to Lake Taco. REALLY dumb move!!!

On 11/14/2019 at 9:04 AM, heidinrick said:

Heidi and I both love wings so, we thought we'd give Vancouver Wings a try. We ordered a Pepsi and, sadly, that turned out to be the best part of the meal! First of all, they weren't wings...they were hard as a bring winglets. I'm talkin' itty-bitty, tiny, damn, I hope we weren't eating pigeon! I guess I can sum up the entire experience in two words, disgust ing!

Rick, I have a recipe for baked wings that is actually pretty darn good. Nothing will ever match deep-fried, but these come close and are a tad healthier. Less messy, too.

Separate the wings into 2 pieces. Lay skin (the most skin) side down in a baking dish. Add soy sauce to at least 1/2 the depth of the wings. Bake, covered, in a 300 F oven for an hour or so. Turn wings and bake another half hour or so. When ready to serve, place them on a wire rack inside a pan and bake until they are as dark and crispy as you like them. Less fuss than deep-frying and they taste pretty good and real tender.

• Like 1

Will try that, too, Pappy.

Dry Bake Wings:

FIRST, MELT THE BUTTER: 3 TBSP OR MORE. USE THIS TO COVER THE WINGS AFTER COATING, BEFORE BAKING

o     1/3 cup flour

o     1 tablespoon paprika

o     1 teaspoon garlic salt

o     1 teaspoon black pepper

o     1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

o     3 tablespoons butter

o     10 chicken wings, tips removed

Directions

1. Cut wings at joints.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

3. Be sure wings are thawed and dry them well with paper towels.

4. Combine flour, paprika, garlic salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper in a plastic bag.

5. Shake to mix ingredients and add wings.

6. Line a large baking sheet with Release foil and melt the butter on it. ( Makes for easy clean up.).

7. Add wings to pan and turn to coat.

8. Bake for 20 minutes.

9. Turn wings over and bake for 10 more minutes or until crispy and done.

7 hours ago, Ferret said:

I think they might have done well if they had stayed in the original Wings army location... up by the theatres and with lots of parking. But no, they moved down to in front of Lake Taco where the only four parking spots belonged to Lake Taco. REALLY dumb move!!!

Are you saying they were in the Wings Army location in Plaza Laguna, vacated and then Wings Army moved in?  Sure don't remember that.  

One thing for sure is lack of investment in market studies before opening any business at the lakeside. The number of business that have failed because of location here is incredible. 

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

Both restaurants are still in their original locations....nobody moved any where?????  Wings Army is where they have always been since day one.

Confused?  Lake Taco is UP the hill from Wings Army which is DOWN by the theatres…..maybe standing on your head (LOL) you would see it that way.

• Like 1

My error in assumption. I took this " They are very successful with the younger market in GDL and saw that Wings Army, another multilocated business, was doing very well here and decided to grab  onto the coattails- " (from Slainte) and assumed that Vancouver Wings had bought out Wings Army but moved location. Sorry.

However, Vancouver Wings is still in a terrible location even if I am directionally challenged on occasion. LOL.

We prefer Vancouver Wings over Wings Army.  For us, the sauces are tastier & I personally prefer smaller wings.   Also, at Vancouver Wings there is plenty of outside seating. Inside the music can be really loud.   Okay, you do have to settle your chair into the gravel, but at least outside is reasonably quiet.  At Wings Army the inside music is also so loud it is almost impossible to carry on a conversation.  Outside is a little quieter but you may get a table full of smokers a few feet away.

Both restaurants cater to a young late-night crowd as we have witnessed on the rare occasions we are driving past later at night.

We  also like the convenience of having the car washed while we eat at Vancouver Wings. 

Get there early  if the car wash is of interest, they close by 5:30.

If you are a wing lover try both.