Chapala.com Webboard

How would you rate your healthcare locally?

Great to hear. Am totally disgusted by "healthcare" in the US. I need prompt, affordable healthcare services (mostly physical therapy, therapeutic massage, etc.). Unfortunately, we have all but two of those ( prompt and affordable care, that is). I'm in the gigantic bureaucracy of VA healthcare here. What a giant mess that is.

Frank Zappa said it best- "The torture never stops".

i use the VA in central texas. i had a quadruple bypass on the 28th of oct., 2 weeks ago, the VA authorized the top cardio thoracic surgeon in austin to do the procedure and great post op care. they have been prompt and easy to deal with and have now authorized 35 cardio rehab sessions. in my experience they do a fine job.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends entirely on the doctor.  I've had very good care from my current GP.  However, I have had some very bad experiences with others. If you are deciding to have an important procedure done, be sure to get some opinions (via PM) from others who have first hand experience with that doctor.

You may hear some horror stories.  I have at least two.

• Like 1

Same as Gringal some very good experience , one procedure that was done strictly for money a second one that was avoided but also a procedure not needed. Be on your guards with some doctors.A couple of bad experiences in Chiapas as well so 4 bad experences in 18 years.  

Been coming here an average of 5 months per year in the late nineties, an average of about 7 months a year during the 2000's and about 9 months per year since 2010, and I  have been getting great medical care both here and up north when needed.

I don't know about hospital care yet. I have always been an out patient. But the health care professionals I have seen down here, seem to be more caring and more like friends than they do up in Seattle, but otherwise, I see no major difference. (other than amount charged :) )

Do your due diligence always. imho, the majority of Doctors in Mexico are outstanding. They care and spend the time to explain things and are always available via phone, e-mail, message or whatsapp. They are DEDICATED partners in your health care.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cedros said:

Healthcare can be iffy here.

I agree. And " Nice and caring "  is not my first criterium, when choosing a doctor.  On WHO list, Mexico ranks 65 or so ( in healthcare quality ).

Yes.  You can have good experiences...but a bit of common sense here: in a country with one of the worst education systems, how can you expect to have a majority of excellent doctors and nurses ??

Over 21 years here....I dont think of a few personal good experiences ( which I dont deny ! ) but numerous times, where I translated at IMSS and hospital civil ( and I worked with dozens of caregivers ). Many horror stories ( and yes, a few good ones ).  Unfortunately, I have known too many people here, who today, should still be alive.

Let us not even mention lack of consistency and corruption.

One probably also should make a distinction between the more expensive health care facilities for the few, versus the inexpensive ones for the poor majority.  Therefore,...my personal opinion...  for a majority of people here it is NOT good.  I have many good reasons for living here, but healthcare is not one of them ( and I dont feel the need to compare to the US system )

Not what you want to hear, I know... ( bring on the bullets .... but do a good and fast job....the Red Cross is NOT where I want to die ...I am being nice here ).  

It is a lottery, where luck and money will give you the winning ticket.   A smile could help too

Rony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

very good points Rony.  I have a friend whose son got hemorragic dengue in a small town in Chiapas and he was sent home to die when platelets his mother went to get from a hospital in Tuxtla saved him..Noone wanted t bother to get them...

Even if you pay a private doctor you have to make sure you do not get one of the several doctors in Ajijic that are either incompetent or doing things they should not be doing.. 

By the way several French doctors told me that the eye doctors in Guadalajara were very competent so it is a hit and miss but that is true everywhere, not everyone comes out first of their class . Do your homework..

For clarification, we never used the public health care systems nor did we ever have insurance. I'm also pretty good at spotting B.S. when I see and hear it... like the time when the Oncologist said there were NO side effects from chemo. We just looked at one another with eyebrows raised and left shortly after.

Unfortunately, as with all professions, 50% of the Doctors graduated in the bottom half of their class. Do your due diligence. Our experiences (many) were 95% good and far superior to anything that we experienced in Canada. YMMV.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, blankletmusic said:

Would someone please compare healthcare at Lakeside to the "healthcare business" in the US?

I can't imagine what good an answer to that question will do you. Waaaay to subjective. Lots of people bad mouth the medical system in the US. I have had nothing but the most caring and professional care from it for 70+ years, both out of and in the Medicare system. But someone else will give, with all honesty, the reverse observation. You've already gotten that from the answers above about Mexico.

Good luck making any halfway valuable  use out of any answers to your question.

YMMV