Chapala.com Webboard

Hiway 200

RickS

Thanks 39.  Also there was a time.... is it still here.... that there was some concern for how 'safe' the road was probably because of it long remoteness.  I'm not a worry-wort about driving in remote areas of Mexico but I don't want to set out on a voyage that maybe should not have taken place.

Every time I go down that road since it first opened in ,the mid 80´s, which is about every 2 or 3 years, the number of businesses along the way seem to quadruple. The first year there was nothing between Tecomán and Playa Azul.  Now it looks "inhabited".

Friends of mine who go to that area several times a year prefer going to La Barca, then old 15 through Zamora to Carapán, and then 37 straight south to Lazero.  From Uruapan to 200, it´s all 4 lane cuota. They say it´s bit longer in km. and more expensive in cuotas but that they get there quicker. Kind of like the choice between Mascota or Compostela going from Chapala to PV-

You have been driving long enough in Mexico  to know you shouldn´t drive at night as it ups your chances of something going wrong, from break downs to accidents  to livestock to falling rocks, to "unwanted visitors", and, oh yes, aliens from outer space.:)  I even think the policía are less honorable in the late hours but less of them.

• Thanks 1