Chapala.com Webboard

Leave him where you found him. He belongs to someone. Many Mexicans let their dogs out for the day. I see you Re a newbie to this site. You may not know how to deal with what may be considered “street dogs.” If you see a dog on the street that looks healthy, leave it there as they likely belong to someone, especially in Ajijic. There are few real street dogs here. 
if you see a dog like this one you picked up who has long matted hair, fleas, ticks and is malnourished they are most likely homeless and need help. 
Street dogs are a HUGE problem in some of the villages...there are just not enough resources to help them all. Help the ones who most need it. Take a healthy street dog and have them spayed or neutered and if you can keep them put them back where you found them. These dogs know how to survive. It’s the unhealthy and malnourished that need to be picked up, bathed, spayed/neutered and found homes for.

PLEASE bring THIS dog back to where you found him. He will know how to get home. It’s dinner time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been rescuing street dogs in Guadalajara and Ajijic for twenty years. I don't want to let this little guy wander around next to the Carretera. I will go back to where I found him frequently to see if anyone's looking for him.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Normally I would agree with Joyful but a small, well cared for dog is not nearly as likely to be a 'street dog' or one who wanders during the day. Put up "Found Dog" signs in all the nearby businesses and on the streets on both sides of the Carretera. Post on the pet related Lakeside Facebook page. Little guy like that probably decided to take his own walk and is being looked for by a frantic family.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kmetzger said:

Lakeside Facebook page? You mean Gringos Ajijic & Lakeside?

There are at least 3 animal FB pages in english, not sure how many spanish sites

Lost and found pets - lakeside area https://www.facebook.com/groups/329484064364793/

Lakeside Advocates for Animals- https://www.facebook.com/groups/LAKESIDEADVOCATESFOR/

BBB&S Lake Chapala - fur, feathers and fins   https://www.facebook.com/groups/884995861533687/

3 hours ago, kmetzger said:

I've been rescuing street dogs in Guadalajara and Ajijic for twenty years. I don't want to let this little guy wander around next to the Carretera. I will go back to where I found him frequently to see if anyone's looking for him.

I think that is the way to handle this.  I think the dog's safety is first priority in a case like this.  Put up some FOUND posters in English and Spanish in the area with a photo.  If he has owners who care about him they will find you.  

• Like 1

On the poster that you   put up, include a photo and contact info ...  put posters up up near the area where he was found , in addition to Vets and groomers who might recognize him..

This might help.. not exactly - found  dog.. but the person will get the idea ...  my  Spanish is not wonderful, so used a computer translator.. hope this  helps ..

Glad you took  him in  to keep him safe while you search for his owner.. if he could have found his way home on his own, he would be there .

He encontrado un perro pequeño.  ¿Este perro te pertenece?                 [  I have found a small dog.  Does this dog belong to you ? ]

Joyfull was right. The dog belongs to a family selling wood slabs next to the Carretera. When I saw him there was no one around. This morning I went back there and a man selling the wood told me his wife threatened to kill him when she found out the dog was gone. He was relieved and the doggie is back where he wanted to be.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4