Chapala.com Webboard

Fridge with Ice Maker

JGiff

Hola

I need to buy a fridge for my new home and wondered about getting one with an ice maker.  Are the filters that come with the fridge good to make the ice cubes safe to use ? I have only ever used bottle water in Mexico.  Suggestions on which manufacturer you prefer.  Your experience about how long the filters last. 

TIA  

No!  you can filter the water correctly but you don't have a UV light in the fridge .  You can buy a small filter system for your kitchen and have drinking water and water for making Ice and stop buying water.  Filter in fridge does not kill nasty stuff it only works on particles and chemicals (charcoal removes chemicals). You have to remember to throw out ice made during a power failure as the UV light need power.  Lived this way for years but you do have to watch and make sure UV light is on. Filtered and UV light treated water is basically mineral water here.  We filter all water coming into house except for outside hose water.  Nice to shower in clean water. Not trying to panic you but in Los Salvias in Ajijic I had water tested and it was contaminated with Poop.  Do you want to shower in this kind of water??   Ok maybe I am anal but I am an engineer and have thought this out.  Also add a voltage regulator to your UV light and do keep a five gallon (20 liters) full of filtered water in case of power fail.  You do need to rinse out jugs from time to time. I use a little bit of bleach and set water bottle out in sun so two bottles makes things simple.

Big disclaimer!!!   If your immune system is compromised do get a whole house filter!!

• Like 2

I bought  a fridge with ice maker and have the water fed from bottled water with pump.  Works great.  You can get creative and have water bottles to the side or in a cabinet next to unit and just drill a hole to feed water tubing

On sale like next weekend should be around $15,000 pesos

https://www.bestbuy.com.mx/p/samsung-refrigerador-french-door-22-pies-cubicos-rf221nctasg-em-negro/1000207908

We have a brand new, standard Samsung stainless fridge, and there is no way our landlord paid those sort of prices. It is standard two door design with ice maker, water dispenser,  and a five litre container in the fridge for 5 litres of garrafon water. The problem is this very limits your fridge and freezer space. It use's Samsung DC inverter technology which drastically reduces your electric bill. Hope this helps.

Funny story- my neighbor went to get a glass of water and ice from her fridge dispenser. When she pushed the glass against the lever, it wouldn't move- it seemed stuck. She right away was irritated- the fridge was only a couple months old and what -it's already broken? On further inspection, a giant toad had wedged itself up behind the water/ice lever.

• Haha 2