Chapala.com Webboard

need carpentry advice...rotted table leg

bdmowers

Need carpentry advice.   I have a large wood table outside (4" legs) that are rotting at the bottom.  How best to secure them from the water?   Fill them with wood dough and seal or varnish heavily? Doesn`t matter how they look.  It`s just a large work table. I just need it to keep working.  Thanks.

10 hours ago, bdmowers said:

Need carpentry advice.   I have a large wood table outside (4" legs) that are rotting at the bottom.  How best to secure them from the water?   Fill them with wood dough and seal or varnish heavily? Doesn`t matter how they look.  It`s just a large work table. I just need it to keep working.  Thanks.

Show a picture and measurements.

If you don't care how it looks, place each leg of the table in a liter yogurt container and fill them with cement. use a level to make sure the table rests evenly before the cement sets.  I did this with the legs of an inversion table that is located outside and has metal legs that were rusting and my fix lasted 10 years.....

Depends on the damage, but cutting them off equally and then putting either locking wheels on them or risers may do the trick. It depends on the size of the stump of course.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=table+leg+extenders+adjustable&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Personally, I'd cut them off then screw a "plate" of  1/2 inch wood on the bottom to hold the base for locking wheels. The wheels can be up to five inches in height. Then you can easily move the table anywhere you want to work.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=locking+wheels&crid=4IUD9NN69XEZ&sprefix=locking+wheels%2Caps%2C208&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_14

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cafemediterraneo said:

If you don't care how it looks, place each leg of the table in a liter yogurt container and fill them with cement. use a level to make sure the table rests evenly before the cement sets.  I did this with the legs of an inversion table that is located outside and has metal legs that were rusting and my fix lasted 10 years.....

Great solution.   And.....did you used to work for the mob?    😉