Chapala.com Webboard

Feria Maestros del Arte

lakeside7

6 hours ago, Islander said:

The physical location is in Chapala but lots of organizers, artist supporters and volunteers are from Ajijic.

While I was typing my response, Happy responded and said exactly what I was saying. Your reasoning is ridiculous. People involved come from all over lakeside.

As a long term visitor to the Feria, a collector of Mexican folk art and provider of volunteer housing to artisans, I'll share several observations.

First, the Feria was organized and based on a strong belief in the preservation of Mexican folk art.  It is non-profit and almost entirely run and worked by volunteers from the Lakeside area.  All money collected at the gate goes to pay expenses related to the venue plus the sponsorship of the artisans.  By charging an entrance fee every visitors helps support the event and the artisans. Remember there are a lot more lookers than buyers.

It is a big show and there are limited places to hold it.  For a time it was held in Ajijic but the space was just too limiting.  It has become a bit crowded at the Yacht club in Chapaa but is still manageable.  That site has the needed support facilities and access to parking needed for a show of this size.  That is why the Feria is there even though it is true most of the volunteers and hosting are from in and around Ajijic.

From the beginning the goal was to find the finest artisans with primary focus on the more rural located and make it possible for them to find a wider following and earn sufficiently to remain in their arts.  The most important aspect was to enable them to attend and earn expense free.  It has succeeded brilliantly at this, for many of the artisans this is their major annual earning opportunity.  So many of them are from isolated areas where their opportunity for exposure and significant sales is limited.  For them, this show is the difference between continuing in their art versus not.  The show picks up their expense for coming and their housing and meals while here.

The latter is provided by the host families.  We've found hosting to be one of the most rewarding things we have done in Mexico.

Unlike some other places, it is possible to be at the top of your art game in Mexico and still barely make a living.  The goal of the Feria is to spot the really good artisans, bring them here and help them continue and grow via access to many more and more affluent buyers and general exposure.  The show is strongly attended by gallery owners from the U.S. and Canada who can buy at these prices and still make a nice profit back north.  It is a win win for both artisans and galleries, neither of whom would likely meet otherwise.

As for pricing, this is strictly up to the artisans.  I will say having traveled a fair amount around Mexico and always looking for quality authentic Mexican folk art, for the most part the pricing is pretty good.  Of course they price for the audience but still IMO far below gallery prices, even locally.  Our particular family of Alibrije artisans price the same here as in Oaxaca.  If you could even find their level of quality here or in GDL you would be paying considerably more.

For us, the Feria is one of the high points of Lakeside living.  We missed it this year but have promised ourselves never again.  Our house sitter friend is doing the hosting this year and she is absolutely delighted with it.  Speaking personally, I can't recommend attending and/or hosting more highly.  Both are a wonderful experience and an opportunity to see a variety of high quality folk art right at home.  To do so otherwise would require a tremendous amount of traveling.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Xena said:

While I was typing my response, Happy responded and said exactly what I was saying. Your reasoning is ridiculous. People involved come from all over lakeside.

Lakeside location is less significant than the idea , support of artist and the effort to put it all together. Without it, the show would not exist at any location.

Ones again.. ...Thanks to whoever  makes it happen  and all the participating  artist (you are awesome and appreciated).

And also....thanks kindly to Chapala Yacht club for space provided.

No need for Chapalanians to be offended or militant when they hear the word Ajijic.  I think that Chapala is a great town, but lets face it, when you talk about Lakeside art, you associate it traditionally with Ajijc,  not Chapala. ..rightly or wrongly)

All the best.

Examples for newbies and people who cannot afford the entrance fee

Just gorgeous

mexi-art.png

mexican art.png

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, Islander said:

Lakeside location is less significant than the idea , support of artist and the effort to put it all together. Without it, the show would not exist at any location.

Ones again.. ...Thanks to whoever  makes it happen  and all the participating  artist (you are awesome and appreciated).

And also....thanks kindly to Chapala Yacht club for space provided.

No need for Chapalanians to be offended or militant when they hear the word Ajijic.  I think that Chapala is a great town, but lets face it, when you talk about Lakeside art, you associate it traditionally with Ajijc,  not Chapala. ..rightly or wrongly)

All the best.

Examples for newbies and people who cannot afford the entrance fee

mexi-art.png

mexican art.png

Why have you made it your mission to hijack this thread with nonsense that could be confusing for some? The topic is the Artisan Feria which is located in Chapala at the Chapala Yacht Club. I  only speak for me when I say that I am not offended as you suggest. Others may feel the same.You are inaccurate for some strange reason as to location and I  and several others are accurate as to location of this feria,is all. Why don't you just cease and desist with your hijack. By the way you being a snowbird are excused for not knowing that there are artists and artisans all over the north shore area so those of us in the know do not associate Ajijic as the centre of the art/artisan universe around here.

• Like 2

I also was not offended by the mislocation of the Féria. At first I thought it was a mistake and wanted to correct it so no one would be wandering Ajijic looking for the Féria. Now, I see the poster deliberately misplaced it because he has no idea of what he is talking about and has no interest in learning. That’s kinda sad.

• Like 1

Me hijacking "jilling" ??????  I think you are confused. You should actually read my posts as I am expressing the gratitude to everybody involved to make this happen whatever the location is .

And read yours. Your aggression is fixated on the word Ajijic  . I do not take your attack on me personally.

I have been snow birding to Lakeside way before you knew where Chapala is. I followed your first bike trip down and snorting on this board like a fool for years.. The fact is that you have changed your name here many times to be accepted and sort of mellowed over the years.... but you have a long way to go, dear. 

Now, lets focus back  on the " art show" 

Are you hosting any of the artists this year?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I also was not offended by the mislocation of the Féria. At first I thought it was a mistake and wanted to correct it so no one would be wandering Ajijic looking for the Féria. Now, I see the poster deliberately misplaced it because he has no idea of what he is talking about and has no interest in learning. That’s kinda sad.

Islander is a she.

7 minutes ago, RickS said:

OK... I can see this thread going to where many of them go when egos start rearing their ugly heads...

The poster known as Islander has highjacked more than one thread like this recently. That would be ego,  not egos. Some of the rest of us are merely correcting her information so that people don't get confused as to the ACTUAL location of the feria.

Islander, these people are not looony artists.. they are artisans who work at that their family has been working  on for generations many times and they work to earn a living and improve their live. In Chiapas the majority of the artisans are farmers as well and the artesania increases their income . 

Haggling down indigenous may seem normal to you but it is hurtful and really makes the artisans raise their prices so they can lower them.. It is all a stupid game. The top artisans do not haggle as a rule..They may give you a little discount  but do not count on it.. Just ask us that you beat price and drop it.. That is what most Mexicans going to someone´s house do. You may haggle at some market but much less at someones house. I spend 8 months of the year in indigenous houses in various communities so I know what the items go for to the people who go and visit and it does not vary that much , unless they are desperate for some cash. Most of the haggling is done at markets and there you are dealing with revendors who have haggled the artisans to the bare bone.

I know that the top eavers are fine with 25 pesos to 30 pesos an hour for their work meanwhile the revenders , I am speaking about will go to the lesser weavers or the most remote or needed one and pay them 40 pesos a day..  So if you get something for a low price you are buying lesser quality. It is ok if that is what you want but cheap stuff is not a bargain.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2019 at 6:34 AM, dichosalocura said:

I bitch because my family is 5 people, that will cost us 400 pesos just to enter to have the privilege to walk around and look at local Mexican artesanías.  And if we think about buying something, that will set us back another chunk of money.  It has already been said that the vendors do not negotiate nor do they permit haggling.  Maybe, if we just go all the way to Guadalajara and go to Tlaquepaque we will save money and have a more enjoyable time being around nice normal people.

It's an art fair not a necessity!😂

• Like 3

On 11/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, lakeside7 said:

We made our first ever visit to this years show.

Very impressive range of art etc..but I am some what disappointed that you are expected to pay the asking price, and not haggle  as is "normal" in Mexico. If you read the various articles written by the promoters Maestros del Arte ,...... in order to preserve the folk art..... pay what the artisan is asking. For me I thought many of the pieces are way over priced. So I left with just the rubber stamp on my wrist and 80 pesos less in my pocket as a memory to this years exhibition. 

Lastly  there should be more room between exhibits and space for customers to comfortably walk around.

"Very impressive range of art"

"So I left with just the rubber stamp on my wrist and 80 pesos less in my pocket as a memory to this year's exhibition."

Those statements seem contradictory to me. You paid 80 pesos and got to walk around and look at at an impresive collection of art, yet that had no value to you? 

Guess you should have stayed home and done something exciting like watch TV with that 80 pesos still in your pocket.

And no, it is not "normal in Mexico" to haggle with artisans selling their own work. It's insulting. Haggling with middlemen is a different story.

• Like 5

Less people wth people who want to buy and can buy is way better than losts of people and no buyer.. The size of the crowd does not always reflect the sales. This year was a fantastic year for the artisans for the people who are interested, The artisans went back to their communities with starry eyes about their hosts , the lake and their sales

They were people buying and helpng from everywhere and whether the people who were helping came from the moon Ajijic CHapala, Jocotopec is not important,There were helpers fro Monterrey, Mexico City, Guadaljara  from Canada and US and so on.. no one was asking where the others came from, everyone helped everyone and that is the way it should be. The whole conversation on Ajijic versus Chapala s totally silly,  

Shame on the people qho want to foment dissention between people.

• Like 7