Chapala.com Webboard

Anyone using Telmex Wireless Internet

geeser

I have Telmex internet and where I liv,e I don't pay the $389 pesos per month for up to 10 Mbps but $435 pesos per month for up to 20 Mbps.  I get about 11 mb/sec down wirelessly. However should I want even more speed, I run cat5 cable from the modem to my  laptop and get as of right now  

14.61 Mbps down by 0.62 Mbps up

Which is pretty much what I get most any time, now that Telmex has seemed to get it's act together.

8 minutes ago, johanson said:

I have Telmex internet and where I liv,e I don't pay the $389 pesos per month for up to 10 Mbps but $435 pesos per month for up to 20 Mbps.  I get about 11 mb/sec down wirelessly. However should I want even more speed, I run cat5 cable from the modem to my  laptop and get as of right now  

14.61 Mbps down by 0.62 Mbps up

Which is pretty much what I get most any time, now that Telmex has seemed to get it's act together.

The OP is asking about wireless internet that uses a cellphone sim in the box to connect to the internet same as your cellular does. Not wired like you have Pete..  It is available from ATT, BLUE,  TELCEL and a few others.  The only problem is that when you reach a certain data limit they throttle your speed.  Pete I am on the $389 and am getting 19.2 down and 5.1 up wireless to my laptop at 7PM  You need to do some checks on your system

• Like 1

I use Telcel wireless. Pay as you go. I didn't buy one of their modems- I tether from my phone to my laptop. I purchase $300 pesos worth of time- good for a month or 5 GB, whichever you use up first. (they promo-ed it about 6 months ago- I was getting 7GB for the 300p, but now it's back to 5) It's a package not that many people know about- you go pay at OXO, or wherever they take Telcel payment,. tell them "normal", not internet Amigo, then before you use it at all, text Int300 (or however much you've put on it) to the number 5050. If you do it this way, you end up getting "regalo", which can be used for data, or phone or texting, which for some reason you don't get if you tell them to put it on Amigo internet at the store. 

And it doesn't get throttled- sometimes it's pretty fast, sometimes slow, but doesn't have anything to do with getting near the limit.

If you like to stream things, or do a lot online, then this isn't a good package- you'd want the unlimited for $389/month but for that you have to buy one of their modems for 2000 pesos.

7 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I use Telcel wireless. Pay as you go. I didn't buy one of their modems- I tether from my phone to my laptop. I purchase $300 pesos worth of time- good for a month or 5 GB, whichever you use up first. (they promo-ed it about 6 months ago- I was getting 7GB for the 300p, but now it's back to 5) It's a package not that many people know about- you go pay at OXO, or wherever they take Telcel payment,. tell them "normal", not internet Amigo, then before you use it at all, text Int300 (or however much you've put on it) to the number 5050. If you do it this way, you end up getting "regalo", which can be used for data, or phone or texting, which for some reason you don't get if you tell them to put it on Amigo internet at the store. 

And it doesn't get throttled- sometimes it's pretty fast, sometimes slow, but doesn't have anything to do with getting near the limit.

If you like to stream things, or do a lot online, then this isn't a good package- you'd want the unlimited for $389/month but for that you have to buy one of their modems for 2000 pesos.

Mudgirl what speed do you get?

14 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

The OP is asking about wireless internet that uses a cellphone sim in the box to connect to the internet same as your cellular does. Not wired like you have Pete..  It is available from ATT, BLUE,  TELCEL and a few others.  The only problem is that when you reach a certain data limit they throttle your speed.  Pete I am on the $389 and am getting 19.2 down and 5.1 up wireless to my laptop at 7PM  You need to do some checks on your system

Thank you for correcting me, Mostlylost. Yes, Telmex is slowly increasing the speed of their customers. Sadly when I enter my modem to see what speeds Telmex is offering me, I still get the old speeds. Shown below is a copy of the speeds allowed by my modem.

Conexión DSL  

bull__md.gif Información del enlace

spacer.gif
Tiempo de funcionamiento: 0 días, 23:39:49
spacer.gif
Tipo DSL: G.992.5 annex A
spacer.gif
Ancho de banda (ascendente/descendente) [kbps/kbps]: 766 / 19.195
spacer.gif

As you can see, I have not been upgraded yet. Oh, and after hearing about the upgrades I believe only in the Chapala, not in the Ajijic area yet, I went to the Telmex office maybe ten days ago and they said only that my speeds were correct. Maybe it's time to go in again and ask when I will also be getting the new advertised speeds. Also note that they have always been incorrectly showing kbps, not mbps for the download speeds..

10 hours ago, mudgirl said:

If you tether, remember that you are not sending the Internet through your phone to your computer. You are actually using the phone to get your Internet, which means you are using the data plan (and "sending" it to your PC). If you use a lot of Internet like I do, you can burn through $300 pesos worth of data in a day. So, as you said, it's not a good package if you do a lot online.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

If you tether, remember that you are not sending the Internet through your phone to your computer. You are actually using the phone to get your Internet, which means you are using the data plan (and "sending" it to your PC). If you use a lot of Internet like I do, you can burn through $300 pesos worth of data in a day. So, as you said, it's not a good package if you do a lot online.

I'm more or less a technodummy- my understanding is that tethering means the phone is acting as a modem, right? When I first started using this was years before Telcel came out with their modems- it was only choice I had to get Internet where I live, as there are no phone lines, but the cell signal is strong. The $300 pesos gives me 5GB of data. With that, I can be online for a few hours a day, watch the occasional short news or youtube video, and it lasts me about 3-4 weeks. My laptop is set on "metered connection", so it's not updating things in the background. But I certainly couldn't watch Netflix or anything like that.

I have a Telcel wireless modem and live just west of San Juan Cosala. I resorted to this method when Telmex said a hardwired modem would not give me very good results here and they recommended me to not even try😳 No service available from Ilox here yet and maybe not for quite awhile according to their office. 

Sometimes I get reasonable speeds meaning adequate for internet search and streaming Netflix or Hulu or Amazon prime with a VPN. Often I do not get enough speed to stream however and sometimes I have no internet at all. I also have to have the service reset every week or so by the lady at the telcel office:/ I don’t have to go in but just call her and she takes care of it and i still do not understand that situation:/ I hate the process but it would seem that is about the only option I have where I live. The service is supposedly unlimited data for $500 pesos a month but i guess that is a matter of opinion since i don’t get much service:/ If anyone knows of anything better I could try in my location I would be extremely grateful for the information:)

• 1 month later...

I just read your post, it might be too late or it might help. My sister had the same issue, she lives in Las Fuentes. She took the motem to the place she bought it (Telcel across from Chopsticks) and the woman working there called Telcel and explained the issue. Telcel took the modem information and instructed my sis to go home plug it in reset it wait 1/2 hour for the newest downloads and viola...it started to function like it should. I suggest you try the same thing by taking it into Telcel and explaining its lack of function. Good luck!

On 11/10/2019 at 5:56 AM, Susy Wilson said:

I have a Telcel wireless modem and live just west of San Juan Cosala. I resorted to this method when Telmex said a hardwired modem would not give me very good results here and they recommended me to not even try😳 No service available from Ilox here yet and maybe not for quite awhile according to their office. 

Sometimes I get reasonable speeds meaning adequate for internet search and streaming Netflix or Hulu or Amazon prime with a VPN. Often I do not get enough speed to stream however and sometimes I have no internet at all. I also have to have the service reset every week or so by the lady at the telcel office:/ I don’t have to go in but just call her and she takes care of it and i still do not understand that situation:/ I hate the process but it would seem that is about the only option I have where I live. The service is supposedly unlimited data for $500 pesos a month but i guess that is a matter of opinion since i don’t get much service:/ If anyone knows of anything better I could try in my location I would be extremely grateful for the information:)

I think my nursing home is near you Jaltepec. I have two AT&T plus the Telcel modem. I get 10 mb down most of the time with Telcel.  However toward the end of the month about time to pay speed slows down. 

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up on Telcel wireless modems:

I got a call from Sandra with the telcel office I got my first wireless modem from saying she had something better. I was very skeptical as I have such bad service with the one I got but I went in to see what she had to offer. She had an even smaller modem that would easily fit in my pocket. She said it would be faster and not have to be reset all the time. The cost for the new modem was 2500 pesos and you could choose a monthly plan. For $499 pesos I am supposed to get 150 Gigabytes per month. 

I brought it home and it is faster than the one I bought just 4 month ago. With my VPN going I am getting 5.1Mps download, 39.8 Mps upload and 237 Ping. The best I ever had with the other modem was 2.2 Mps download and it was not consistent. We will see how this works out in the long run but today I am happy with it:-) I am able to stream TV with the VPN operational and the picture is clear. Got my fingers and toes crossed that it stays that way!

tiny modem.jpg

I am getting feedback from a friend in Joco that her Telcel Modem speed is capped at 10 mbps. Anyone have any info on this limiting factor? I sent her the information that JGiff provided but she doesn't want to spend the money for the Cellular Signal Boost if her modem speed is capped.

Suzy.  At which Telcel office is Sandra located?    Also, does the plan you have have a speed cap on it?  Meaning, do you know the maximum speed you can receive.  I am the person in Joco that Ferret referred to.  My plan has a speed cap of 10 mbps.  I have the plan that is 100 MB per month for $399 with the option to purchase 25 MB additional for $100 pesos should be exceed the 100 MB.  I got my plan and the modem at the main Telcel office in Laguna Plaza.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Sandra is in a small office on Boulvard De Jin Xi that runs along the south side of the carretera in Ajijic and the office is a few businesses before Juan Alverez street. She and her husband operate the shop. I think they sell phones, modems and the service for each. I pay $499 pesos for 150 MB monthly for the wireless modem. There is no guarantee that I know of for a certain download speed:/ She just called me and told me it should work better for us in our location and in fact so far it does. The small modem itself cost $2500 pesos. I was paying $499 pesos a month for supposedly unlimited data service for the first wireless modem I had and paid 5 months in advance but it did not work well, lagged terribly or just did not work hardly at all at the end of each monthly pay cycle. If you would like her cell number I can give it to you tomorrow as I forgot my phone today in a friends car. She and her husband both speak pretty good English. 

Juan Alvarez is the street that runs south from the carretera beside Plaza Bugambilias, where there is a small cell store. There is also a small cell store inside the plaza. There are no other businesses along that side of the street, between La Floresta's shops and Bugambilias, except for a couple of shrimp places, also not on Jin Xi. So I cannot place where you are talking about.

I think she means the store which is beside the second hand furniture store on the south lateral of the highway before you get to Juan Alvarez. I also highly suspect that the modem "worked hardly at all" before the end of the monthly pay cycle is because of the data cap. I hope you have better success with your new modem Susy and would appreciate feedback on what happens towards the end of this billing cycle.

Yes Ferret is correct on the location of the shop. According to google maps that street is Boulvard De Jin Xi. 

Thanks Ferret and I will post how this goes and if my service gets restricted near the end of the cycle:-)