Chapala.com Webboard

Pancho's Deli Market

tomgates

Several of us had lunch there. All pronounced it Excellent. The Philly Cheese steak sandwich is enough for 2. Noted was (USDA) prime rib dinner on Wed and Thurs for $175 looks worth a look. 

Just now, tomgates said:

Several of us had lunch there. All pronounced it Excellent. The Philly Cheese steak sandwich is enough for 2. Noted was (USDA) prime rib dinner on Wed and Thurs for $175 looks worth a look. 

How was the service?

Last time we tried for lunch we were never acknowledged in spite of Pancho's uncle attempting to get either Pancho's attention or the server's to direct them to us as we had been waiting an inordinate amount of time. We had gotten up from the table and fetched our menus from the bar area, so they knew we wanted to eat. Pancho was too busy talking to the only other table of patrons and the server was studiously avoiding looking our way. 

A bargain and even good food isn't worth much if the service sucks.

• Thanks 4

The problem is inconsistency. Something we are all pretty much used to.

As for food items: the Philly steak is not a Philly steak. It is a delicious approximation. The clam chowder is delicious, mostly cream, and the serving size has been reduced by half since it hit the menu. Pancho's burger is delicious. The night we went for BBQ, the salmon had a hot sauce that no one else seemed to get; indedible. And by the time we got looked after, they were out of salmon. So we ate potatos and broccoli from the salad bar. My ribeye was a typical Mexican steak: too thin, so not nearly enough time on the grille to cook properly. Average taste.

People rave about the steak, so Brandon was surprised when he asked my opinion. I told him it was "okay". Then I realized why people rave: have you seen the number of wine bottles in use during any given evening? Pancho pushes a list of wines, which is perfectly okay, but a lot of drinking makes the tastebuds sparkle.

Nothing stops the place from being popular, though. Really popular.

• Haha 1

Last time we were there most all of the people at tables were smoking. Dogs getting tangled up in there leashes and smelling other dogs business and a water bowl on the floor for a dog was sat on top of another table when the owner left. Ignored by waiter and finally ordered and it took 50 minutes wait to get a cold sandwich. We went for clam chowder at 12:30 and it wasn’t ready yet. Done with it. 

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, sm1mex said:

Last time we were there most all of the people at tables were smoking. Dogs getting tangled up in there leashes and smelling other dogs business and a water bowl on the floor for a dog was sat on top of another table when the owner left. Ignored by waiter and finally ordered and it took 50 minutes wait to get a cold sandwich. We went for clam chowder at 12:30 and it wasn’t ready yet. Done with it. 

Same regarding the chowder. It is fairly typical here, though: don't start the prep until after the place is open. One pizza place on the highway in SAT doesn't even turn on the wood oven until the first person orders a pizza. Huh? The movie houses don't put the hot dogs on (well, they call them hot dogs) until the doors open.

On 11/8/2019 at 7:42 AM, chapalence said:

How was the service?

Last time we tried for lunch we were never acknowledged in spite of Pancho's uncle attempting to get either Pancho's attention or the server's to direct them to us as we had been waiting an inordinate amount of time. We had gotten up from the table and fetched our menus from the bar area, so they knew we wanted to eat. Pancho was too busy talking to the only other table of patrons and the server was studiously avoiding looking our way. 

A bargain and even good food isn't worth much if the service sucks.

Pancho's father, (Manuel Montes Avila), the long time owner of "Mariscos Lety" passed away this past Tuesday.  Perhaps that very unfortunate event impacted on the quality of your visit to Pancho's?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Carnivore said:

Pancho's father, (Manuel Montes Avila), the long time owner of "Mariscos Lety" passed away this past Tuesday.  Perhaps that very unfortunate event impacted on the quality of your visit to Pancho's?

So sad to hear about that...a true institution and character here with his pot belly, guttural speech, handlebar mustache and fly swatter always at the ready to the peril of any unsuspecting fly. I called him The General based on the cartoon character in the US TV insurance company commercials. His fish shack opposite the Coca-Cola plant was legionary until the government finally evicted him and then he built the present location that continued the same great seafood meals. Besides Pancho he also has other children and an extended clan, all very successful in their own right. He will be missed my many. 

• Like 1

And I would also like to add, unlike many other restaurant proprietors, he was always seated at his little table at the front door with a friendly greeting and upon leaving a little chit-chat about your dining experience and a hearty HASTA LUEGO! In all my years here...never a bad meal or dining experience at his establishments. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

And I would also like to add, unlike many other restaurant proprietors, he was always seated at his little table at the front door with a friendly greeting and upon leaving a little chit-chat about your dining experience and a hearty HASTA LUEGO! In all my years here...never a bad meal or dining experience at his establishments. 

I find myself in complete agreement with gringohombre...rare as that may be.

2 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

I find myself in complete agreement with gringohombre...rare as that may be.

Wow! A rare kumbaya moment!!! "Can we all get along?" Also to add to the homage to Sn. Manuel...he was not just a greeter, but in and out of the kitchen tasting and even chopping and grating when they were behind. Also seeing him give "fatherly" advise to the wait staff (all women) mostly I suspect who were family and just running a "tight ship" in this extremely competitive business here.   

5 hours ago, Carnivore said:

In a word: no.

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 3:27 PM, gringohombre said:

Always enjoyed a chat with this amiable gent when dining there.  Lety's will hopefully remain as our go to place for shrimp.  Sorry to hear of his passing.