Chapala.com Webboard

New Topes on Libermento

Alpha1

Must be something new...I used to always hear them using their Jake brake. Do they really pay attention to the signs and have people gotten tickets for that? I would be dumbfounded if so...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Is it whining to mention that "double" parking in front of Banemex does seems to hinder the flow of  traffic(Like coming to a complete stop).......or because we are in Mexico..Just suck it up!!!

I have lived here 11 years and there was double parking there then as there is now. It does not change. You learn to go (or not go) with the flow or you whine and complain about it. So, yes, suck it up — not because you are in Mexico but because that is the way it was, is, and will be no matter how much the immigrants whine about it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, happyjillin said:

I am not clueless as to the law of physics as it relates to this situation. I know what you say and I also know doing nothing after all the brakeless trucks there is not a good thing and now SOMETHING has been done for safeties sake. The barn door is not wide open any more and gives the trucker time to get his azz off the road to the right at a reduced speed, where he will only hurt his truck and nobody else.

I am sure you are aware that the vast majority of accidents are caused by East West traffic at that intersection. The number of trucks with brake failures from the Libramiento in the last 15 years is fewer than 1 a year. Meanwhile thousands of others will suffer these inaffective topes.  And I would wager we will see more rear end accidents caused by weekenders slamming on their brakes in the next 2 weekends than we normally see in a year on the libramiento. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

The complaint was, as is common, about the use of exhaust, or 'jake brakes', as they do create noise. Shifting down is the proper procedure, but it must be done at the appropriate speeds for the gear selected.  If you have not driven heavy vehicles, especially with air brakes, you may find it hard to understand these necessities.  Without using the noisy exhaust brake, which does let the engine compression help to slow the vehicle, the driver may get going too fast to shift down. Then the brakes are used beyond their capacity, overheat and loose effectiveness. That is trouble in the making!  Poor equipment, inexperienced driver, or an unexpected downgrade can cause an accident.....like ending up in the Walmart parking lot the hard way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lakeside7 said:

Do you really think these topes (small) have any slowing effect on the very large trucks..regular car's maybe..not sure what the best solution is.

as barcelonaman stated: Won't stop any truck , they are barely maintained , a run off should be constructed.

Assuming that the truck drivers know what they're for...and use them.

• Like 1