Chapala.com Webboard

New Topes on Libermento

Alpha1

This insanity has to stop. Tearing up the main road in Chapala... they have been at it for weeks and haven't accomplished a single block. Eschewing half the parking available throughout the townships to add pretty, and useless, bike paths. The work will continue through the busiest holiday seasons we have here. Topes on the libramiento? Who in his right mind?

Who is making the money off this? Who is getting the back-pats?

How about fixing some potholes, adding some reflectors and lines, working on sh***y holes on all the cobble streets throughout? Coming down on water leaks and wasters? Nailing WalMart for their promised trees, road improvements, and other handshake deals? (In exchange for ripping out a decades old avocado orchard.)Oh, no, that would be productive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

The sheer stupidity of rebuilding/repairing the bike lane (ciclopista) in La Floresta is simply stunning. The bike land carries 1/2000 of the people that the regular lanes carry. Why wasn't the money spent repairing pot holes. Why wasn't it spent to bring the most good to the most people?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, happyjillin said:

About time for those topes or do all you people prefer trucks with no breaks killing and maiming. This hopefully will be a positive answer to a major problem there.

How will the topes repair brake failure on an overloaded truck and have an impact on nonexistent truck maintenance? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Nothin' like a bunch of bitchin' and moanin' to go with my morning coffee.

Work is being done throughout the municipality and some will like it and some won't, but at least they're doing it.

Be grateful not hateful and for goodness sakes try to not spew your bad attitudes in public. Some of aim for peace and serenity in our retirement. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

So are vista alegre paying for these topes?

Have they got permission from state of jalico, or is it a similar thing to the unlawful barriers that were erected in la floresta a few years ago? 

Wont stop any truck , they are bareky maintained , a run off should be constructed.

They really are experts around here in wasting hard to get public funds, bike lane for example.

Get the basics sorted first.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

So let me get this straight. An alternative to road and infrastructure construction so that no one is inconvenienced will be the construction fairy waiving her magic wand and poof instant new everything. Seems like most of you whiners have not paid attention to what our municipal and state governments have said about these projects. The water and sewer clay pipes are over 50 years old and where they burst in the past a trench was dug and replacement PVC installed just at that spot. have you people not seen the trenches on the north side of Hidalgo downtown? It's necessary to rip up sidewalk as well as part road to do this all the way to Lourdes. Speaking of roadway,haven't you noticed all these years the ditch like area next to the side walk that Spencer has been moaning about for years and now he's moaning about the inconvenience caused by fixing it and a bunch of you have joined him. No government official ever said that there will be a bike lane in downtown Chapala. It is quite obvious though,that certain sections of existing bike lanes to the west are being redone. The new section on Madero has been accomplished in a timely fashion contrary to what a board member wrote. Chapala is supplying the labour and equipment and the state is funding all this long overdue improvement.

29 minutes ago, barcelonaman said:

So are vista alegre paying for these topes?

Have they got permission from state of jalico, or is it a similar thing to the unlawful barriers that were erected in la floresta a few years ago? 

Wont stop any truck , they are bareky maintained , a run off should be constructed.

They really are experts around here in wasting hard to get public funds, bike lane for example.

Get the basics sorted first.

The state finally did it.It's their jurisdiction and is entirely necessary for safety reasons.Learn before you leap.

• Thanks 1

Just now, happyjillin said:

So let me get this straight. An alternative to road and infrastructure construction so that no one is inconvenienced will be the construction fairy waiving her magic wand and poof instant new everything. Seems like most of you whiners have not paid attention to what our municipal and state governments have said about these projects. The water and sewer clay pipes are over 50 years old and where they burst in the past a trench was dug and replacement PVC installed just at that spot. have you people not seen the trenches on the north side of Hidalgo downtown? It's necessary to rip up sidewalk as well as part road to do this all the way to Lourdes. Speaking of roadway,haven't you noticed all these years the ditch like area next to the side walk that Spencer has been moaning about for years and now he's moaning about the inconvenience caused by fixing it and a bunch of you have joined him. No government official ever said that there will be a bike lane in downtown Chapala. It is quite obvious though,that certain sections of existing bike lanes to the west are being redone. The new section on Madero has been accomplished in a timely fashion contrary to what a board member wrote. Chapala is supplying the labour and equipment and the state is funding all this long overdue improvement.

Maybe it is the general lack of communication between the public (us) and the municipality ( them ) that leads to the misunderstanding and frustrations.

Certainly better traffic control in the Chapala section would help the traffic flow and the safety of the workers tearing up the road and laying the new pipes etc

Just now, lakeside7 said:

Maybe it is the general lack of communication between the public (us) and the municipality ( them ) that leads to the misunderstanding and frustrations.

Certainly better traffic control in the Chapala section would help the traffic flow and the safety of the workers tearing up the road and laying the new pipes etc

There is no lack of communication. A lack of listening  by some is more likely. Considering what is being done, the traffic flow and worker safety is just fine.

These topes are a boon for the sale of suspension parts, and work for mechanics.. Nothing else.  If anyone thinks it will stop a runaway truck well.. it won't. If their brakes fail here there is no alternative so they will continue down the hill until something stops them. The trucks and cars will speed up as soon as they pass them. 

I remember a few years ago some :() thought the same type of mini topes would slow down vehicles heading into GDL by the Hotel Tapatio. All is was case a traffic back up past the periferico.  At least they were removed in less than a week. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I live in Chapala and drive through the construction areas all the time. I have not even thought to grumble and whine about it. There is construction and that’s it. I have been impressed with how well traffic moves on Madero and how quickly the work has gone. Turning from Madero onto Hildago is a bit rough but nothing to get anyone’s panties in a bunch over. The whining and complaining on this board is getting tiresome. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Mostlylost said:

These topes are a boon for the sale of suspension parts, and work for mechanics.. Nothing else.  If anyone thinks it will stop a runaway truck well.. it won't. If their brakes fail here there is no alternative so they will continue down the hill until something stops them. The trucks and cars will speed up as soon as they pass them. 

I remember a few years ago some :() thought the same type of mini topes would slow down vehicles heading into GDL by the Hotel Tapatio. All is was case a traffic back up past the periferico.  At least they were removed in less than a week. 

You just don't get it. Instead of a truck with no breaks going full tilt around that corner and then trying to brake half way down on the straight without success,they will have to try to brake at the topes which might save some lives and or other vehicles. Your example is nonsense as it applies to our situation here. The traffic isn't that heavy on that bypass.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, happyjillin said:

You just don't get it. Instead of a truck with no breaks going full tilt around that corner and then trying to brake half way down on the straight without success,they will have to try to brake at the topes which might save some lives and or other vehicles. Your example is nonsense as it applies to our situation here. The traffic isn't that heavy on that bypass.

Sorry,  I do get it.  Any trucker will tell you different. If the topes were to be of affect regarding brake failure they would need to be at the fire station so the truck would then have to go uphill and to level ground in front of CVN   thus affording some gravitational help with stopping. Where they are placed now the barn door is already open .. it is all downhill.. gravity rules.  And traffic is very heavy on the libramiento. On weekends it can back up past El Dorado waiting for the signals in front of Walmart.  In any case , only in Mexico will you see this use of topes.  Don't confuse those in charge with facts, because that's the way they always have done it and culturally here no one wants to suggest a change. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, headpooch said:

It would be nice to have street signal lights that actually work. There have been so many times I go thru an intersection saying a prayer!

In Mexico, the safest way to get through intersections, is to get close to the vehicle in front of you. Be prepared to hit the brake pedal if need be. If he goes through, you do the same. If he stops, you stop. Don't be distracted by looking up at the light. Just watch his rear-end. He may not have brake lights but you should be able to see him (trying) to stop so just do likewise. Good advice from more than one Mexican friend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I live in Chapala and drive through the construction areas all the time. I have not even thought to grumble and whine about it. There is construction and that’s it. I have been impressed with how well traffic moves on Madero and how quickly the work has gone. Turning from Madero onto Hildago is a bit rough but nothing to get anyone’s panties in a bunch over. The whining and complaining on this board is getting tiresome. 

Is it whining to mention that "double" parking in front of Banemex does seems to hinder the flow of  traffic(Like coming to a complete stop).......or because we are in Mexico..Just suck it up!!!

1 hour ago, Mostlylost said:

Sorry,  I do get it.  Any trucker will tell you different. If the topes were to be of affect regarding brake failure they would need to be at the fire station so the truck would then have to go uphill and to level ground in front of CVN   thus affording some gravitational help with stopping. Where they are placed now the barn door is already open .. it is all downhill.. gravity rules.  And traffic is very heavy on the libramiento. On weekends it can back up past El Dorado waiting for the signals in front of Walmart.  In any case , only in Mexico will you see this use of topes.  Don't confuse those in charge with facts, because that's the way they always have done it and culturally here no one wants to suggest a change. 

I am not clueless as to the law of physics as it relates to this situation. I know what you say and I also know doing nothing after all the brakeless trucks there is not a good thing and now SOMETHING has been done for safeties sake. The barn door is not wide open any more and gives the trucker time to get his azz off the road to the right at a reduced speed, where he will only hurt his truck and nobody else.

1 hour ago, happyjillin said:

I am not clueless as to the law of physics as it relates to this situation. I know what you say and I also know doing nothing after all the brakeless trucks there is not a good thing and now SOMETHING has been done for safeties sake. The barn door is not wide open any more and gives the trucker time to get his azz off the road to the right at a reduced speed, where he will only hurt his truck and nobody else.

If they wanted to do something for safety's sake they wouldn't have posted signs telling trucks not to brake with their engines by gearing down. Heavy trucks on steep hills have to use lower gears and allow their engines to slow them down. The gringos in the area complained about the noise of trucks using engines for braking. This stupidity led to the ban and higher speeds on down the hill. We should all remember that hill with trucks engine braking was there before any of those complainers bought their property. Brakes on any vehicle overheat on long down hill routes and stop working. That is why they use the engine braking. It's a lot like buying a house near the airport because they are cheaper then demanding they stop the planes from making noise.

• Like 1