Chapala.com Webboard

WANTED: House or Apt. rental for 3 month lease

Go Cougs

My wife and I are retired school teachers looking for a house/apt. rental in the Ajijic area.  Initially short term (3 mo) starting in Dec, with possible extention long term (1 yr). min. 1 bed, 1 bath, quiet location, max $1000 per mo.  Please PM us with your offering. 

About us:  We are "50 somethings", non-smoking, no kids, no pets, are NOT 'the invite lots of friends and family' people.  We have been home owners for 30+ yrs, and have extensive experience with 'homeowners' maintenance issues' - we take care of property. 

Thanks to all,

I absolutely agree! Over the last 4 years Chapala’s rentals have increased outrageously! I’ve been wanting to move out due to my growing family but can’t find decent prices.  For us earning pesos,  it’s impossible to pay what they ask for. My husband and I chose to leave California’s expensive housing and start a small business here. 
It’s getting just as hard in the  Lakeside! 😩🥺

Offering to pay $1000. For a one bedroom is outrageous.  People like that are the cause of our high rental rates.  Please research the market before you make such ridiculous offers.  You are hurting the local people who don't make that kind of money!

• Like 2

I rented an apartment, second floor, 2 beds 2 ba in Ajijic on the Carreterra for $325 US a month all inclusive.  View of the lake and  Mt. Garcia.  Nice view from the mirador of the back mountains and the forward south view.  Charmingly austere but lovely all the same. Cute place easily  made nice over  time especially  on a limited budget.  I just wanted a storage location. You had to provide your own 24 inch stove and oven and small refrigerator.  Every room needed a ceiling fans maybe with a light..  Lovely view to the lake.  Noise just moderate but still continuous on the roadway. Came with a parking spot.  But still worthwhile.  Turns over regularly.  Rumour has it there is a ghost but sensitive me didn't feel it on three visits. They are out there, realistic places.  I chose to let it go back on the market when I didn't   need as much storage space as it had in living space. But it was cheap cheap cheap storage for that money. No storage to be had otherwise. 

On 11/7/2019 at 12:00 PM, Go Cougs said:

My wife and I are retired school teachers looking for a house/apt. rental in the Ajijic area.  Initially short term (3 mo) starting in Dec, with possible extention long term (1 yr). min. 1 bed, 1 bath, quiet location, max $1000 per mo.  Please PM us with your offering. 

About us:  We are "50 somethings", non-smoking, no kids, no pets, are NOT 'the invite lots of friends and family' people.  We have been home owners for 30+ yrs, and have extensive experience with 'homeowners' maintenance issues' - we take care of property. 

Thanks to all,

I have nothing to say about  housing.  I just want to say "Bow down to Washington" and "Go, Huskies!"

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/13/2019 at 7:58 PM, Busymama said:

I absolutely agree! Over the last 4 years Chapala’s rentals have increased outrageously! I’ve been wanting to move out due to my growing family but can’t find decent prices.  For us earning pesos,  it’s impossible to pay what they ask for. My husband and I chose to leave California’s expensive housing and start a small business here. 
It’s getting just as hard in the  Lakeside! 😩🥺

I have always thought that rents here at lakeside are ridiculously low. In the USA and Canada an accepted rule of thumb is 01% of value of property for residential. A $100K house will rent for $1000 a month on a t least a year's lease. Here you can get a $1,000,000 house for $3500-$5000 a month not he $10K you would pay up north. At lake side you can rent a $160K house for under $900. That is quite low for the USA or Canada where the majority of came from. These are houses that any norteno would be at home in with all the amenities.

San Francisco sees 1 bedrooms renting for $3025

Las Angeles sees 1 bedrooms going for close to $2000

Seattle has 1 bedrooms for $2158

NYC cost for 1 bedroom for $3607

• Like 1

2 hours ago, geeser said:

I have always thought that rents here at lakeside are ridiculously low. In the USA and Canada an accepted rule of thumb is 01% of value of property for residential. A $100K house will rent for $1000 a month on a t least a year's lease. Here you can get a $1,000,000 house for $3500-$5000 a month not he $10K you would pay up north. At lake side you can rent a $160K house for under $900. That is quite low for the USA or Canada where the majority of came from. These are houses that any norteno would be at home in with all the amenities.

San Francisco sees 1 bedrooms renting for $3025

Las Angeles sees 1 bedrooms going for close to $2000

Seattle has 1 bedrooms for $2158

NYC cost for 1 bedroom for $3607

Comparing rents between countries and calling one cheap in comparison makes no sense at all. That's like saying that rents Lakeside are super expensive because you could get a comparable place in India for a third the price. What is reasonable rent anywhere has to do with the general cost of living in a place, and what other comparable accomodations go for in that area, not what rents are in other countries. When discussing rents Lakeside, comparing them to other areas of Mexico which have a large ex-pat presence would be more applicable than comparing them to US rents.

If your Mexican housekeeper wanted to charge you 150pesos/hr. when the going rate for housekepers was 70pesos/hr. , would you call the 150 pesos cheap just because the same housekeeping would cost you $25/hr. in California?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

To OP:

You should be able to get your place lakeside for your price even in winter time.. If you want quiet, you will need to be outside the center of any village (and "eventos") therefore, you will most likely need a car.   3 months stay  is considered to be a" short term" here and one has to pay a premium. $1000 outcry for 1 bedroom is from people who live here permanently.  I know  snowbirds who are willing to pay for 6 months to secure their preferred place and only stay for 4-5 months.    As you have  indicated that you might stay longer , start to negotiate with that option .Longer stays= better rent prices.

Reasonably priced places are hard to find long distance as they are usually not advertised on internet. They do not need to be. What I would do in your situation is to get a B&B in town (plenty of them available) and start talking to people and get yourself acquainted with the area to determine which place is acceptable to you. Start with gringos popular hang outs and make friends. There is lots of information among them. Most do not post on this web board. There are also some bulletin boards you can check. Look at few places in different locations to get an idea what is available at what price. Visit real estate offices which also rent. They do not always list all their rentals on the internet. They'll  " evaluate" you on your visit.  Sometimes you have to be at the right place at the right time.

If you rent over the internet, you'll never know what you'll get and it could spoil your feeling for the area. (machine shop next door or 6 barking dogs next to your bedroom window or  all night loud music....)  Of course there is a possibility that you could get lucky and stay for rest of your life. :)

Best of luck.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mudgirl said:

Comparing rents between countries and calling one cheap in comparison makes no sense at all. That's like saying that rents Lakeside are super expensive because you could get a comparable place in India for a third the price. What is reasonable rent anywhere has to do with the general cost of living in a place, and what other comparable accomodations go for in that area, not what rents are in other countries. When discussing rents Lakeside, comparing them to other areas of Mexico which have a large ex-pat presence would be more applicable than comparing them to US rents.

If your Mexican housekeeper wanted to charge you 150pesos/hr. when the going rate for housekepers was 70pesos/hr. , would you call the 150 pesos cheap just because the same housekeeping would cost you $25/hr. in California?

The difference is compensated for by cheaper construction here so the comparison is valid. Rent is cheap here.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, geeser said:

You think that comparing the cost of living between countries makes no sense? But it does. you can live in one cheaper than the other especially if your currency is from the most expensive.

Correct, Geeser.  Let's be real here:  Many people moved here from the U.S. for more than one reason, and there is no shame in admitting that one of those reasons is that one can live much better on one's income in Mexico than on the same amount NOB.  Medical care is very much less expensive here, and unaffordable in the U.S. without super health insurance or out of pocket input beyond what Medicare provides.  Making those comparisons is inevitable, so what's the problem?

I suggest the OP check out the local rental agencies.  They aren't all trying to gouge the seasonal renter.

3 hours ago, geeser said:

You think that comparing the cost of living between countries makes no sense? But it does. you can live in one cheaper than the other especially if your currency is from the most expensive.

Of course if you are looking to relocate, you would look at all the factors in the cost of living in those places and decide which place would suit you best for your budget. But it still makes no sense to say something is cheap or expensive as some statement of fact. It's relative. Someone moving to Lakeside from India or Thailand might think the same rent you consider "ridiculously low", is ridiculously expensive.

• Like 3