Chapala.com Webboard

need electrical advice

bdmowers

I would appreciate some electrical advice.  I want to use a 2-station electrical burner. It uses 1600 watts and is 60Hz. and 127v.   I have 2 electrical boxes. They both say 60Hz and "50 a maximo".  They re both 1 fase and one is 2 hilos and the other 3 hilos.  Would I be able to plug in this 2-burner in an outlet that is connected to one of these boxes without blowing it out?   I donpt know if I gave all of the requisite information about the boxes.  Thank you!

The electric hotplate math works out to 12.6 amps   (1600 / 127).     The question is not if you have enough main panel supply, as with 2 x 50 amp you should be fine,.....however good to check the wiring gauge to where you will plug in the hotplate.      If you've used a toaster, electric kettle, toaster oven or similar in the same location, it should be OK, as a kitchen circuit "should" be setup for and rated for at least 15 amps.....

24 minutes ago, Go Solar said:

The electric hotplate math works out to 12.6 amps   (1600 / 127).     The question is not if you have enough main panel supply, as with 2 x 50 amp you should be fine,.....however good to check the wiring gauge to where you will plug in the hotplate.      If you've used a toaster, electric kettle, toaster oven or similar in the same location, it should be OK, as a kitchen circuit "should" be setup for and rated for at least 15 amps.....

Thanks, Go.  I should add that the 2 boxes are widely separated in space and are not connected in any way.  One box serves one side of the house and the other serves the other.  I would be plugging in the hotplates to a thick extension cord that will be plugged in to an outlet that is right next to one of the boxes.  Will that work?  

Can I plug another of the 2 burners in to an outlet that is connected to the other box, at the same time or is that a bit risky?

Based on your description, should be fine - however, if you're not electrically inclined, why not have someone who is, check it?     Fast and easy to do, can't do it via this board....

Suerte.

1 hour ago, Go Solar said:

Based on your description, should be fine - however, if you're not electrically inclined, why not have someone who is, check it?     Fast and easy to do, can't do it via this board....

Suerte.

Thanks so much, GoSolar.