Chapala.com Webboard

Hospital San Antonio--we are so lucky!

So I had this giant hematoma on my big toe and being diabetic,it's necessary to really look after your feet so that you don't need to have them  amped. Emerge doctora. sliced it squeezed the blood out and with help from a nurse assistant cleaned and dressed,then wrote a RX for topical antibiotic. Drove home. Total cost $413pesos.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I frankly don't care what the prices are in the US.  We live here and I only care about prices here.  I imagine if he had gone to Cruz Roja the price would have been 50 pesos for the gauze.  Hope he doesn't have problems where they sliced it open since now there is a wound where before there was a hematoma.  Perhaps a try at needle aspiration would have been in order first.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

$413 pesos,   i joined lakeside medical a HMO at the  new San Antonio Talaycapan hospital my fee to see Dr Garcia was $100 pesos. one of many plans there.

My other Dr was charging $350 pesos, a visit

What am i going to do with all extra money i saved, what a dilemma.

I even have extra time on my hands, Lakeside medical fills out all the paperwork for me directly.

Paying less money ,lower fees, less time filling out paperwork.

No driving in Guadalajara anymore, 

OH well i will miss the beautiful drive into the city, i will the miss the over 42 hours of fighting and filing out paperwork to get reimbursed by my insurance, that happened three year ago.

its magical a hospital that wants to give me excellent service, a treat me like a customer

• Like 3

If you go to the hospital they will give you a form that has 3 layers of care as well as costs of premium. What you really want to consider is how often to might use a particular service. What is the period of time for the premium?  How many times are you allotted those prices per premium.  When will you end up spending as much as the premium cost?  So you see the doctor once a year at 100p …..what was your original cost for the insurance.

If this is an HMO do you always have to see the same doctor or anyone listed on the visiting doctor list they have. The form looks very simple but ask questions.  

Just my 2 pesos here...because I have TRICARE, we were originally doing the pay-out-of-pocket and then waiting to get reimbursed 75% of authorized costs (snore). While I have no real complaints with TRICARE (it's actually been pretty decent), we lose out a bit for being "overseas." So...we signed up with HSA. If you have an insurance plan that they accept, you sign up through their insurance office and make your appointments through them. No biggie. Yesterday, due to long running issues with his health and a potential emergency, hubby went in and saw Dr. Johnathan (apologies for not having his last name), our assigned POC/PCM. We were impressed. We were early and hubby was seen right away.  The exam was thorough and covered the issues that were of concern. While we've both had excellent local care, it's nice to finally be able to take full advantage of our insurance. The visit was a whopping $100 pesos. If we were to be admitted, it's $3000mxn - this could be a repeated charge if you had to be admitted to another hospital, ie for specialized treatment in Guad. Regardless, it's quality care; it's a HECK of a lot cheaper and easier than the out-of-pocket option, plus all of the paperwork is handled by them. Of course, YMMV as this is under our plan and plans vary. 

19 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

We are so lucky .. Simply Amazing ..  Not really.....  Any doctor could have performed this. What is so special about this Hospital regarding this issue?  

What is special is that it's there and the costs are reasonable and I needed it done right away and it was, lickety split. At the time I did not have  GP and I'm sure that there are others that don't. What is your problem?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, traderspoc said:

$413 pesos,   i joined lakeside medical a HMO at the  new San Antonio Talaycapan hospital my fee to see Dr Garcia was $100 pesos. one of many plans there.

My other Dr was charging $350 pesos, a visit

What am i going to do with all extra money i saved, what a dilemma.

I even have extra time on my hands, Lakeside medical fills out all the paperwork for me directly.

Paying less money ,lower fees, less time filling out paperwork.

No driving in Guadalajara anymore, 

OH well i will miss the beautiful drive into the city, i will the miss the over 42 hours of fighting and filing out paperwork to get reimbursed by my insurance, that happened three year ago.

its magical a hospital that wants to give me excellent service, a treat me like a customer

I had a procedure for that which included materials and a nurse/assistant,not just a visit. $28.50 cdn or $21.53usd ain't going to put me in the poor house. i was given 2 forms to sign,no big deal. When we first arrived here several years ago we took that plan and after only using 1/4 of it we quite and gladly kissed the money goodbye and that's all I'm going to say about that.

traderspoc what is "a HMO at the  new San Antonio Talaycapan hospital"    HM0?

I got an answer from Google  "A health maintenance organization (HMO) is a network or organization that provides health insurance coverage for a monthly or annual fee. An HMO is made up of a group of medical insurance providers that limit coverage to medical care provided through doctors and other providers who are under contract to the HMO." Mascaras clinic used to have one but it didn't impress me.O

Sorry, I am not trying to highjack this thread but find it very interesting and I believe the people here could answer a question for me.  

I will be living in San Nicolas for the winter months and need advice about where is the best place for me to receive medical attention.  I have AFIB and get an episode once in a while. I have looked and found that Cruz Roja would be the closest place for a clinic and ambulance. If I go into an AFIB event I need to either get an electrical cardioversion or drugs to bring my rhythm back to normal.  Would anyone know if Cruz Roja would do this or would I have to go to San Antonio hospital ?  If I would need to go to SA would one of Cruz Rola's ambulances take me there ? Looking at CR's website it looks like they want to take you to Quad.   I won't be down to Lakeside till January and just trying to get a jump on things. No pun intended. 

Any info and suggestions are greatly appreciated.    TIA

I was asked to post this information for the OP by a member of TOB who used to be an EMT in California and has worked with the Red Cross in the past.

" if you're up to it, tell the guy with AF living in San Nicolas to go to the Chapala Municipal Clinic up above Soriana instead of CR. Better for medical and heart stuff. CR (Cruz Roja/Red Cross) better for trauma. "

Bolded words are my edition to her pm.

• Like 1