Chapala.com Webboard

Panama Hats

tomgates

In Tlaquepaque on Independencia where the indigenous women from Exuador have a store.. I think that if you are going to the parrian it is on the left on the blocj before the plaza.. They have 2 stores , I am not sure where the other store is. They sell artesania from SOuth America as well and sometimes have Peruvian stuff on the sidewalk including a stuffed llama.

Also people from Campeche come to the Feria de los Maestros sometimes go to teh feria next week -end and check it out.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:47 PM, tomgates said:

I usually buy one at the Chili Cookoff but I need one now. Where can you buy them?

There is a guy (maybe more than one) who sells Panama hats at the entrance to the Artists' Walk leading into the eastern end of the Ajijic Plaza. Look at the inside of the hatband. If it says "Product of Ecuador" it is a genuine Panama hat. The truth is, "Panama" hats are made there rather than in the country for which they are named. The hats should have a very tight weave and be very flexible.

On 11/4/2019 at 12:49 AM, cookj5 said:

There is a guy (maybe more than one) who sells Panama hats at the entrance to the Artists' Walk leading into the eastern end of the Ajijic Plaza. Look at the inside of the hatband. If it says "Product of Ecuador" it is a genuine Panama hat. The truth is, "Panama" hats are made there rather than in the country for which they are named. The hats should have a very tight weave and be very flexible.

Very cool ...

Superb advice for foreign made "Panama Hats" from Ecuador. ...   Close ... but missing the information on our nice "Panama Hats" made in Mexico. ;)

On 11/3/2019 at 2:19 PM, bmh said:

In Tlaquepaque on Independencia where the indigenous women from Exuador have a store.. I think that if you are going to the parrian it is on the left on the blocj before the plaza.. They have 2 stores , I am not sure where the other store is. They sell artesania from SOuth America as well and sometimes have Peruvian stuff on the sidewalk including a stuffed llama.

Also people from Campeche come to the Feria de los Maestros sometimes go to teh feria next week -end and check it out.

bmh is correct ... Mexican made very high quality "Panama Hats" come from the Yucatan town of Becal ... a town where many many houses have damp caves in their back yards - where the local Maya people diligently weave genuine "Panama Hats" every day ...  in the humidity of their caves .... Becal is about 60 miles south of Merida - just inside the Campeche border. ...   The high humidity is necessary to create the beautiful, superbly-tight fine woven fibers.

bmh's point about going to   the Feria de los Maestros   points to an opportunity to buy superb quality Mexican-made panama hats - from Campeche, Mexico. ;)

http://yoymimochila.com/2012/07/23/becal-campeche/

RUTA-MAYA-137_phixr.jpg