Chapala.com Webboard

salt in food

CHILLIN

I was reading an interesting article about the massive amount of work it takes to provide food for airline flights. One interesting point is the food has to be salted more because we lose our sensitivity to it at high altitudes. Now we are no where near the altitudes of commercial aircraft, but do you think us "mile highers" use more salt than the "coasties"? As we age we also lose sensitivity to salt. Too much salt is, of course, bad for your body.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

That is very true. I can't remember the last time I picked up a salt shaker. Lemon does the trick if something needs a kick.

However, for some strange reason, Mrs. RV bought some pimiento cheese spread and we had sandwiches yesterday. Possibly for the first time since childhood.  What is happening????

I had heard that us older folks didn't drink enough liquids and so I began drinking maybe 5 glasses more of water than before and using less salt  each day.

On my last annual physical both my sodium and chloride levels were too low, which according to the doctor was bad. He ordered me to drink a little less water and to use a little more salt.  I love it

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Yo1 said:

Drinking too much water and the resulting additional urination can lower your potassium and magnesium level so be careful either way.

Being a hockey player for most of my life,I ate a banana before every game to replace the potassium that I lost by sweating when I got older. Now on diuretics I have half a banana for breakfast every morning and sometimes have a drink that runners use, available just about everywhere.It has just enough salt,potassium,magnesium and glucose you might lose through sweating and or excessive urination.

• Like 2

On 11/3/2019 at 11:12 AM, CHILLIN said:

I was reading an interesting article about the massive amount of work it takes to provide food for airline flights. One interesting point is the food has to be salted more because we lose our sensitivity to it at high altitudes. Now we are no where near the altitudes of commercial aircraft, but do you think us "mile highers" use more salt than the "coasties"? As we age we also lose sensitivity to salt. Too much salt is, of course, bad for your body.

Depends on what you call "too much salt". I have very low blood pressure and don't really like heavily salted foods, but my doctor told me I should eat more salt.

I've had two friends who got very ill from putting themselves on no salt diets, thinking it would be healthy.  If you've made assumptions and self diagnosed your salt intake, run it by your doctor. I also was told to eat more salt.

• Thanks 4

Some years back, the Surgeon General of the US was interviewed on TV (20/20 or 60 Minutes, don't recall), and when pressed admitted there actually was no scientific evidence of any kind to support the theory that salt causes high blood pressure. The only research they could provide was that people with existing high BP should watch their intake.

I have congenital high BP, and it runs in the family. You may have seen me at the movie theatre adding extra salt to my popcorn. While I take some simple meds to keep it under control, my salt usage has never had an affect on it.