Chapala.com Webboard

DUI checkpoints on Carsterra E & W of Libremiento

After 1 Hour of Drinking *10 oz to 12 oz of beer at 4% to 5% alcohol

Legal limit in Mexico .025 BAC (Saw a gringo get busted for having one Nyquil over the weekend that he took 5 minutes before being pulled over.) Not sure about different states having different limits.

Legal limit in most if not all US states is .08 BAC

After 1 Hour of Drinking
Body Weight (MEN)

Number of Drinks

Does Your Blood Alcohol Concentration Really Show Impairment?

When people talk about the legal alcohol limit being 0.08 percent for drivers, they're talking about your blood alcohol concentration. The police can use breath tests and blood tests to measure it and see how much you've had to drink. If your BAC goes over 0.08 percent, you can get a DUI -- though you can also get one if you show clear impairment under 0.08 percent.

But does that BAC really show how impaired you are? Is it a reliable indicator?

In many ways, it is not. As noted above, you can be impaired even if you're still under 0.08 percent, and the police know it. Alcohol impacts different people in different ways.

The opposite is also true. You can hit 0.08 percent or even go over it and not be as impaired as someone else who is still under that threshold.

One important factor is how often you drink. If you almost never drink, you may be significantly impaired at 0.06 percent. You're just not used to the way that alcohol affects your body. Many young drinkers fall into this category because they haven't had any time to build up a tolerance.

If you drink often, though, your body adapts to it. You get used to it and you can often function even after drinking. You could reach 0.08 percent and fail the breath test even though your ability to drive isn't actually impaired much at all.

Of course, the technical level of impairment does not really matter if you're over the legal limit. They can still give you a DUI based on that result, even if you argue that you're safe to drive.

My understanding is that if you are found over the alcohol limit and are in an accident, your insurance does not cover it.  I had a friend who totaled his vehicle in a one-car accident and it wasn't covered.  He doesn't drive anymore and either walks or takes the bus.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Yo1 said:

My understanding is that if you are found over the alcohol limit and are in an accident, your insurance does not cover it.  I had a friend who totaled his vehicle in a one-car accident and it wasn't covered.  He doesn't drive anymore and either walks or takes the bus.

Yeah, that sounds like a much more informed choice than simply not driving after drinking...

• Haha 1

I hope they continue to have DUI checkpoints on a regular basis.

Unlike NOB the accident reports here do not include factors that contributed to the crash, but if they did I'm willing to bet that alcohol plays a major role in many along with excessive speed for road conditions.

Personally, I don't drive after dark for many reasons, and I watch for impaired drivers at all times. That includes drivers who should have the sense to cease driving due to age related changes. They are nearly as great a threat as those under the influence.  

The trouble is that as soon as they pass a law, there are those that find their way around it. For example, this guy https://nevergetbusted.com/pass-drug-test/

This is very common in Canada, and many drivers stock these test busters in their glove compartments. The funniest I have seen is regular advertiser in High Times magazine, among other items he sells is a plastic realistic looking penis which delivers from a bag containing clean urine. The fake urine is usually made from dried urine. 

This is going to be a continuing problem in Mexico. I just read that the price of opium tar from the state of Guerrero has now dropped to $100 a lb. If you consume opium for more than 1 day per week, you will become addicted. But for some people, for example people with extremely painful stage 4 cancer, floating on an opium cloud is worth the side effects.

For those who get stopped and blew over .025 BAC, (as one of my friends did)  they take you to jail in Zapopan.

(12 or more hours in jail, depending on your BAC.) My friend was barely over the limit and only had to spend 12 hours in jail.

Then you have to go to Chapala (same place you renew your drivers license) and pay a fine... a "Pagado" receipt is required."

Then you have to go to Tlaquepaque to the Vehicle license verification office.

Have originals of everything!

Then you have to take that verification to the towing company office (which is only a few blocks)

Show them the license verification and all all accompanying seizure documents and pay for the towing

(Somewhere around $3000 pesos)

Then they give you discharge papers to be able to get your car out about 35 minutes drive to Zapopan, where your car is stored.

My buddy was not drinking, he took Nyquil 5 minutes before he was pulled over.

None of us support people who drink and drive... but the system needs improvement... especially when your car is confiscated and you have to drive so much distance.

It is absurd the bureaucratic hoops they make people jump through and I think the most absurd silliness is towing your car an hour and a half away from the infraction... and making you drive (by cab or Uber if you do not have a friend like me... kiss at least another $1000 pesos away) and traverse all your favorite roads in Tlaquepaque and Zapopan.

Do not forget going to Chapala first to pay your fine and definitely do not forget your original paperwork or you will be going back the next day.

Bring your ID... passport, driver's license, registration, insurance papers, and Immigration paperwork... especially the original import sticker papers if you were driving an imported car.  Copies will not suffice.

They should really provide a list of these procedures and requirements, too. But they do not.

Unless you have a lawyer or someone who is familiar with the system.. you will spend a lot more time and money than is needed.

• Thanks 1

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, ea93105 said:

Never been stopped by one, do they do a breathalyzer and can you refuse  ? What is the legal limit here ? 

Why don't they do this on Sundays or would that risk catching an important Tapatio ?

Yes they do breathalyzers. I was directed last Sunday to go off the street to the right. I thought , probably more construction or an accident. So I stopped and waited, I was exasperatedly told to turn radio off and roll down the window. So I did and out came the little machine , so I blew and No Alcohol

I was the waved on through this narrow maze of orange cones.  I saw they were doing it near Black Coffee. I also saw 2 cars impounded parked on the tow truck.  

If what Jrod posted is accurate it would seem the legal limit is 0.13 [130 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood] which is higher than the 0.08 US/Can standard and certainly more than the 0.025 posted above related to the person arrested. It would be helpful to learn the actual limit. 

I was pulled over myself and went through a rather amusing episode with the pleasant young woman holding the tester. Every breathalyzer I've seen requires compressed breath so I kept moving my mouth towards it and she kept pulling away and my ignorance of Spanish helped naught. I finally understood I only had to blow in the direction of the meter. We both laughed and it read 'no alcohol'.

Although funny, this is also frightening. There is no chance IMO that these meters are remotely accurate. Also consider certain medications, mouthwashes and persons with diabetes and I suspect protein dieters can cause a false positive reading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRPnd2apxvM