Chapala.com Webboard

DUI checkpoints on Carsterra E & W of Libremiento

Have you seen the traffic today? There are plenty of Tapatios..It is a holiday..  I do not know the legal level but it is vey low, if you are in an accident and had one drink you will be in trouble so do not drink. By the way whether they catch Tapatios or foreigners  is irrelevant .. drinking and driving is illegal for all.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

The legal limit is like one beer or wine. Then you are imprisioned in Guadalajarra, and your vehicle is impounded. 

The state of Jalisco has a state designated terrorist organization: La Validad.

The citizens of Jocotepec chased them out within the last month. 

These Validad are NOT insuring Public Safety, but contributing to the earnings of the Tow Truck operators. Tow fees for motorcycles approach the value of the motorcycles Confiscation of the little the poor have. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, TechnoNorm said:

The legal limit is like one beer or wine. Then you are imprisioned in Guadalajarra, and your vehicle is impounded. 

These Validad are NOT insuring Public Safety, but contributing to the earnings of the Tow Truck operators. Tow fees for motorcycles approach the value of the motorcycles Confiscation of the little the poor have. 

Hhhmmmm.....  so does this mean you resent it when caught drinking and driving? 

And are you aware these stops tonight are operated by "SalvandoVidas"  (saving lives),  a program to educate people against /prevent drunk driving, which is purposely staffed entirely by women in order to help keep  tempers from flaring etc.  It is NOT operated nor controlled by "Vialidad".  And it HAS reduced drunk driving accidents/deaths since its inception a few years ago.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

You're not in Kansas anymore. No, you can't refuse. Why would you refuse if you hadn't had too much to drink?

Just wondering what the law is here. Maybe the breathalyzer has a high margin of error and I would prefer a blood test especially if I just had my one beer a minute before the test. 

I'm sure you would have to come across as pretty loaded to be asked for a test...

6 hours ago, ea93105 said:

Never been stopped by one, do they do a breathalyzer and can you refuse  ? What is the legal limit here ? 

Why don't they do this on Sundays or would that risk catching an important Tapatio ?

The "important Tapatios" are already here for the long weekend, it´s the lower echelon working class that come on Sundays.  Brilliant question!!!

4 hours ago, TechnoNorm said:

So the ladies conducting this operation are kin to the owners of the towing companies or on the payroll of the same?  What did the citizens of Jocotepec use to rid their municipio of this evil…..pitchforks and torches?

Too bad drunk drivers are going to be poorer…….poor babies!

Check your spell check…..it´s not working.

• Like 1

I am always amused by people who get upset when laws are enforced. How dare anyone interfere with their consumption of alcohol and then getting behind the wheel of a car! 

It is very simple. If you are driving don’t drink. If you are drinking don’t drive. If you absolutely can not go out to dinner or a party without drinking you may want to consider that you might have a problem with alcohol. 

• Like 4

I believe someone posted the legal limit on here the last time there were a bunch of checkpoints. I have no way of knowing if it is correct but I believe he/she posted the limit is .02 which is about 1 glass of wine or a beer for an average size adult. Most states in the US have a legal limit of .08 so if correct, it is very strict and as many previous posters have said, do not consume any alcohol if you are driving in the State of Jalisco.

Having been through a couple of accidents and having been checked for alcohol , I can tell you that you do get blood tests if you are in an accident. A glass of wine or beer are not the same level of alcohol as the lowest alcohol possible for wine is 8%  and most wnes are around 12or 13% and beer is lower but that is irrelevant If you have anything to drink in this country  and you are in an accident you will be blame if you have a drop of alcohol or if you smoked a joint the day before.. .

I had bot drunk any alcohol so I was ok but any alcoholis suspect here so have a designateddriverif you want to goout and drink. Forget the range for error..

From https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/mexico/transport/driving/drunk-driving

Drunk Driving Laws in Mexico

As defined by the International Center for Alcohol Policies, Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) is a standard measure, referring to the ethanol in a given amount of blood. The measurements refer to milligrams of ethanol per millimeter of blood (mg/ml)

Drunk driving regulations vary between states. The national limit is 0.8 although in some states, the limit is lower. These include:

• 0.4: Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Distrito Federal, Estado de México, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Tamaulipas, and Veracruz.
  • 0.5: Chihuahua

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

From https://www.angloinfo.com/how-to/mexico/transport/driving/drunk-driving

Drunk Driving Laws in Mexico

As defined by the International Center for Alcohol Policies, Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) is a standard measure, referring to the ethanol in a given amount of blood. The measurements refer to milligrams of ethanol per millimeter of blood (mg/ml)

Drunk driving regulations vary between states. The national limit is 0.8 although in some states, the limit is lower. These include:

• 0.4: Aguascalientes, Chiapas, Distrito Federal, Estado de México, Hidalgo, Jalisco, Michoacán, Tamaulipas, and Veracruz.
  • 0.5: Chihuahua

If one quoted this information in court, they would be free to be drunk as a skunk while driving. 0.8 mg/ml is excessively high as are 0.4 and 0.5. They have misplaced the decimal point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Al Berca said:

You just insulted a poster who always tries to be helpful to others, unlike yourself, but whose primary language is not English. SHAME!

Lighten up sir...do you not think it funny that on a thread regarding drunk driving that someone would post "That's checkpoints if for drunk people drivers, so take care, I so in 1 ago like 2 gringos in hsbc checkpoint, maybe they are in problems!" I simply advised that person not to drink and drive. And who are YOU to insult ME as you have above. GET A LIFE!!!

• Sad 5

From Artículo 186 of the Ley de Movilidad (The underscores are mine, and highlight the alcoholímetro/breathalyser limits.)

Artículo 186. A las personas que conduzcan vehículos de automotor bajo el influjo de alcohol o drogas, se les sancionará de la siguiente forma: I. Con multa equivalente de ciento cincuenta a doscientas veces el valor diario de la Unidad de Medida y Actualización, a la persona que conduzca un vehículo automotor y se le detecte una cantidad superior de 50 a 80 miligramos de alcohol por cien mililitros de sangre o 0.25 a 0.40 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado, o bajo el influjo de drogas; II. Con arresto administrativo inconmutable de doce a veinticuatro horas a la persona que conduzca un vehículo y se le detecte una cantidad de 81 a 130 miligramos de alcohol por 100 mililitros de sangre o de 0.41 a 0.65 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado. La calificación de la sanción estará sujeta a las reglas establecidas en el reglamento de la presente ley; III. A la persona que conduzca un vehículo y se le detecte una cantidad mayor a 130 miligramos de alcohol por 100 mililitros de sangre o más de 0.65 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado, se sancionará con arresto administrativo inconmutable de veinticuatro a treinta y seis horas;

47 minutes ago, jrod said:

From Artículo 186 of the Ley de Movilidad (The underscores are mine, and highlight the alcoholímetro/breathalyser limits.)

Artículo 186. A las personas que conduzcan vehículos de automotor bajo el influjo de alcohol o drogas, se les sancionará de la siguiente forma: I. Con multa equivalente de ciento cincuenta a doscientas veces el valor diario de la Unidad de Medida y Actualización, a la persona que conduzca un vehículo automotor y se le detecte una cantidad superior de 50 a 80 miligramos de alcohol por cien mililitros de sangre o 0.25 a 0.40 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado, o bajo el influjo de drogas; II. Con arresto administrativo inconmutable de doce a veinticuatro horas a la persona que conduzca un vehículo y se le detecte una cantidad de 81 a 130 miligramos de alcohol por 100 mililitros de sangre o de 0.41 a 0.65 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado. La calificación de la sanción estará sujeta a las reglas establecidas en el reglamento de la presente ley; III. A la persona que conduzca un vehículo y se le detecte una cantidad mayor a 130 miligramos de alcohol por 100 mililitros de sangre o más de 0.65 miligramos de alcohol por litro de aire espirado, se sancionará con arresto administrativo inconmutable de veinticuatro a treinta y seis horas;

Google Translate:

Article 186. Persons who drive motor vehicles under the influence of alcohol or drugs, will be sanctioned as follows:

I. With an equivalent fine of one hundred fifty to two hundred times the daily value of the Unit of Measurement and Update, a the person who drives a motor vehicle and is detected an amount greater than 50 to 80 milligrams of alcohol per one hundred milliliters of blood or 0.25 to 0.40 milligrams of alcohol per liter of exhaled air, or under the influence of drugs;

II. With an unchanging administrative detention of twelve to twenty four hours, the person driving a vehicle and detecting an amount of 81 to 130 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood or 0.41 to 0.65 milligrams of alcohol per liter of exhaled air. The qualification of the sanction will be subject to the rules established in the regulations of this law;

III. The person who drives a vehicle and is detected an amount greater than 130 milligrams of alcohol per 100 milliliters of blood or more than 0.65 milligrams of alcohol per liter of exhaled air, will be punished with unchanging administrative arrest from twenty-four to thirty-six hours ;

• Thanks 1