Chapala.com Webboard

Would you rent for a month to people you trust?

freewilly

Lots of folks who would not invite just anybody might rent for a month to friends or trusted folks.  If you want to travel somewhere, we can pay some of your expenses while you do that and treat your home like it should be treated.

We are a quiet couple who superhost an Airbnb in Canada and caretake an executive home in Arizona. You can see our dozens of 5 star reviews on Airbnb. We have references galore. I am a retired Property Appraiser and my wife worked with special needs students. No pets, no parties.

AND we are here in Chapala for 3 more weeks, so we can meet and gain each others trust. Friends you have not met yet.

We are looking at renting NEXT year, November-December 2020

Our needs are simple, we need a house for a month or so as we spend a month in Mexico every year. Best for us is December but we are flexible. We like to hike and are making friends in the Ajijic hiking group. Several have already suggested we stay in their home and house swap while they travel but we are not in that position as our house in AZ is entrusted to us.

Please PM me if this appeals to you or one of your friends.

In any case, thanks for reading!

Willy and Mona

Edited by freewilly
clarified that rental is for NEXT year, not next month
  • Like 1

Look

1 hour ago, oregontochapala said:

I have had people I trusted stay in my home for as long as 8 days while I was away.

Under NO circumstances will I do that again!

I have had family visit with children for two days.

Under NO circumstances will I do that again!

When it comes to home and pets, I trust no one other than myself. And when it comes to someone else's home and pets, I recommend that they do the same.

Flame on, folks. 

No flame.... it's just your experience & preference.

I on the other hand have house/pet sat numerous times here and San Miguel, and multiple times for each so they were happy.

When I go away for a month in the summer I get a good friend to house/pet sit for me. Meeting someone for the first time and maybe getting together with them a few times doesn't equate, in my mind to being able to "trust" them. There are plenty of people who are good at presenting themselves well, talking the talk, but in fact will take advantage of the situation, damage things, and not keep the place clean. Certainly not saying you are like that, freewilly, but I've had a lot of experience property managing. People who presented themselves really well and led me to trust them left truckloads of garbage behind, a filthy house, failed to water the plants as instructed, causing them all to die, and damaged things. Not just a one-off, but over and over again. I now no longer trust people unless I really know them and have been to where they live so I can see what kind of housekeepers they are.

• Like 4

The question is "renting" or leaving your house to people you trust: I do not trust anyone I do not know well.. very well... I leave 3 and 4 months at a time and I would not leave the house to someone I have not known for a long time . I also have help who come on a regular basis and let me know wat is going on when I am not around..

I  agree, interviews are only superficial and you can be fooled if people want to foo you. I would not let the house from someone from another place either.I also want the people to know Spanish and know the area well.

• Like 2

Thanks for telling me you are not interested......I am sure that there are thousands who are not interested. I am looking for the several who MIGHT be.

Now, some of you have that have replied negatively have missed the important information I wrote. I will write that more carefully for you quick readers....

I am an airbnb superhost who has DOZENS of PERFECT reviews from folks BOTH as a guest and as a host. AND I have EIGHT years of being entrusted with someone else's dream home. Those owners include, in the past a retired policeman,  and currently an NPR radio executive. That is a continuing relationship that I will return to in 3 weeks after leaving Chapala.

I am currently in an Airbnb HERE and that host will ALSO tell what great guests we are. 

I am proud of my track record.

So, no need to share YOUR horror stories, I have been a landlord for over 40 years and I know what can happen AND I know what folks need to know to start trusting someone. 

have a good day!

• Like 4

Online scams are proliferating. It happens both ways to the landlords and the renters everywhere.

My reason of not renting my house out - not making assumptions or judgements of anyone else - I'm just at peace if my house is orderly and spotless. Nobody can take good care of my house as I do.

Also, in the social media age, it's better not to easily trust anyone at all.

• Like 3

With all the options for home rentals in the area, Airb&b, VRBO, Home Away, I’m not sure why you’d be soliciting a rental on the forum. 

December isn’t far off, it’s prime rental time. It’s also a relatively short time frame in peak season. Are there no options via rental services and you’ve had to resort to the local forums in your search? 

Having rented our home via VRBO for years, I’m curious to your approach. Have you exhausted the commercial options? 

On 11/2/2019 at 8:05 AM, freewilly said:

Lots of folks who would not invite just anybody might rent for a month to friends or trusted folks.  If you want to travel somewhere, we can pay some of your expenses while you do that and treat your home like it should be treated.

We are a quiet couple who superhost an Airbnb in Canada and caretake an executive home in Arizona. You can see our dozens of 5 star reviews on Airbnb. We have references galore. I am a retired Property Appraiser and my wife worked with special needs students. No pets, no parties.

AND we are here in Chapala for 3 more weeks, so we can meet and gain each others trust. Friends you have not met yet.

Our needs are simple, we need a house for a month or so as we spend a month in Mexico every year. Best for us is December but we are flexible. We like to hike and are making friends in the Ajijic hiking group. Several have already suggested we stay in their home and house swap while they travel but we are not in that position as our house in AZ is entrusted to us.

Please PM me if this appeals to you or one of your friends.

In any case, thanks for reading!

Willy and Mona

Sent you  Pm. 

whew. Folks down here have a lot of time on their hands! 

I thought I made a simple reach out to a certain segment of the population and all these comments come back that are completely unhelpful to me or the people making the comment.

I made the same request in another part of Mexico and ended up renting several places and making some lifelong friends. Not sure why you folks need to take the time to comment that you are uninterested in my proposition, but thanks for the lesson. No need to say anymore than that....

again, have a great day! (maybe go out and do something interesting?)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, freewilly said:

whew. Folks down here have a lot of time on their hands! 

I thought I made a simple reach out to a certain segment of the population and all these comments come back that are completely unhelpful to me or the people making the comment.

I made the same request in another part of Mexico and ended up renting several places and making some lifelong friends. Not sure why you folks need to take the time to comment that you are uninterested in my proposition, but thanks for the lesson. No need to say anymore than that....

again, have a great day! (maybe go out and do something interesting?)

You should be grateful for all the comments. It keeps your post up there instead of having it fall further down until it is lost. You’re welcome. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2