Chapala.com Webboard

Driving to Huatulco

sunshine1

I just did it  OaxacaTehuantepec 2 weeks ago  What do you want to know? It is very straighforward.. 12 to 14 hours to Oaxaca and 5 hours toTehuantepec or take the road to Pochotla an south to Huatulco. The roads are fine but it is mountan road all the way once you pass the Mezcal area past Tlacolula so forget about making good time..Going through Puebla take the elevated road that takes you directly to the other side of Puebla .. there is road work before getting to Amazoc, otherwise the road is fine.. then on to Tehuacan and Oaxaca city.

I have never heard of anyone who, once driving or busing to that coast from Oaxaca City, saying they would ever do it again! Recently read an account by a writer who bused down and decided to fly back to Oaxaca City. 

Go to Google Map and look up close at either road that takes one to Huatulco. Seeing the twists and turns may change you mind as to driving. It is just hours and hours of driving in the forest at 40mph with nothing but curves.  BMH, you talked about driving to Tehuantepec but that would be seriously out of the way to Huatulco IMO.

Pochutla is the fastest way to get there..I have done it both ways because I get bored always going the same wchutlaay.. I actually do it to go to Chiapas as despite adding a day to the drive it is way more fun and safer to go that way.. I stop in Teotitlan for a day or 2 then stop in Tehuantepec or Juchitan od Mazunte and then on to Chiapas,,It took me a week this last time because I took the routa Domincana and went to visit friends who did a kiln in the Sierra Mixteca then spent time in Teotitlan and in Juchitan and Ixtepec.. 

If you want to go the fastest way it is via Pochutla and ues it is hours of curvy roads and you get stuck behind trucks sometimes but if you are relaxed it is not that bad,The road is pretty...7 or 8 hours worth....

• 1 year later...
On 10/31/2019 at 8:15 PM, bmh said:

Pochutla is the fastest way to get there..I have done it both ways because I get bored always going the same wchutlaay.. I actually do it to go to Chiapas as despite adding a day to the drive it is way more fun and safer to go that way.. I stop in Teotitlan for a day or 2 then stop in Tehuantepec or Juchitan od Mazunte and then on to Chiapas,,It took me a week this last time because I took the routa Domincana and went to visit friends who did a kiln in the Sierra Mixteca then spent time in Teotitlan and in Juchitan and Ixtepec.. 

If you want to go the fastest way it is via Pochutla and ues it is hours of curvy roads and you get stuck behind trucks sometimes but if you are relaxed it is not that bad,The road is pretty...7 or 8 hours worth....

I will be driving can you recommemend hotel motels along the way that are safe.  Thank you kindly. 

I have never stayed  in a hotel between  Pochutla and the coast, I leave early and have no problems.. I do not remember any hotels  but they are probably some.. The danger in the road are the curves, the place  is very safe I would not hesitate staying anywhere on that road.

Without knowing your route and the number of hours you want to drive in one day there is no good answer to your question.

Some of our most memorable Mexico road trip adventures were those stops in non-destination towns, forced to end the day due to weather or other conditions. We ended up in Salina Cruz on the way back from Antigua Guatemala which was almost forgettable.

The next day we had to stop in Chilpancingo in a driving rain where we were the only occupants of the motel that payed and stayed for the entire night. We also ended up in Baška Voda Croatia because it was close to happy hour and a storm was approaching. The city was so nice we ended up spending 2 days there. 

Sometimes it's better not to plan and just stop somewhere that either looks interesting or is the last chance before dark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, John Shrall said:

We ended up in Salina Cruz on the way back from Antigua Guatemala which was almost forgettable.

Yes, you haven't missed anything if you miss Salina Cruz. Was there about 50 years ago. The beach there was awful-La Ventosa- aptly named, the wind is relentless, the sand blows in your eyes. 

On 10/31/2019 at 7:35 PM, RickS said:

I have never heard of anyone who, once driving or busing to that coast from Oaxaca City, saying they would ever do it again! Recently read an account by a writer who bused down and decided to fly back to Oaxaca City. 

Go to Google Map and look up close at either road that takes one to Huatulco. Seeing the twists and turns may change you mind as to driving. It is just hours and hours of driving in the forest at 40mph with nothing but curves.  BMH, you talked about driving to Tehuantepec but that would be seriously out of the way to Huatulco IMO.

I have driven it and would do it again.

That drive over the mountains to Puerto Angel is spectacular.  And long.  Figure 6 to 7 hours with stops to view the scenery.  Next year there is supposed to be opened a toll road that will cut the time to Puerto Escondido to 3.5 hours.  It has been in the works a long time and appears to be finally going to happen.  I highly recommend Hotel Cordelias, try and get Room #1 for a great balcony over looking the bay.  Restaurant and watering hole downstairs, then walk out onto the beach and it is an excellent swimming beach at that.  This place is great and very reasonable.

• Thanks 1

I have done it several times and actually enjy the drive, so here you are... there is one person who does it more than once.

Salinas Cruz is a dump but I enjoy staying in Juchitan or Tehuentepec and I also enjoy the great seafood there and the colorful crowd.

I will be happy to drive the new road but I am not holding my breath , they keep  having delays over delays.. so we will see.. what happens. I am planning to make it my route to Chiapas as the Vera Cruz , Tabasco section of the other route is a total bore..

I have never heard of anyone who, once driving or busing to that coast from Oaxaca City, saying they would ever do it again! 

I've done it and would do it again. Yes, the road is twisty turny, you want to really pay attention, but it's really beautiful through there. 

• Like 1

I should clarify Hotel Cordelias is on the NW side of Puerto Angel.  Great little hotel and restaurant/bar, wonderful beach and swimming.  We preferred it to Huatulco.  Not nearly as fancy, not an expat hangout, just a really neat spot.  Not much to Puerto Angel but just a little further is this funky artsy town.  Just drive west on 175 and you'll definitely know it when you get there.  Maybe 10 kilometers.

1 minute ago, Mainecoons said:

I should clarify Hotel Cordelias is on the NW side of Puerto Angel.  Great little hotel and restaurant/bar, wonderful beach and swimming.  We preferred it to Huatulco.  Not nearly as fancy, not an expat hangout, just a really neat spot.  Not much to Puerto Angel but just a little further is this funky artsy town.  Just drive west on 175 and you'll definitely know it when you get there.  Maybe 10 kilometers.

Puerto Angel is a nice spot once you get past the downtown with it's smell of boat fuel. A great beach for swimming with crystal clear water. I stayed at the hotel up the hill from the town. The only place that I've been where the sun rises from the sea and sets into the sea.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Not much to Puerto Angel but just a little further is this funky artsy town. 

Are you referring to Zipolite? If so, anyone going in the water there needs to be aware that it can be quite dangerous- strong rip tides. Many people have drowned there over the years.

• Like 1

Mazunte is before getting to Zipolite.  , yes that is the area I like.. Zipolte is a nude beach and the water is for surfers, it is very dangerous but we like the area to walk the beach. Mazunte is a turtle refuge and very laid back.. Zipolte even more laid back.. THe first tie we went there we were the only people o the beach and we started walking not realizng we were in Zipolte as we just walked along the coast fro Mazunte.. We were with a little girl who was cute as a button, pretty soon the little girl named Itsel spotted 2 women without any top on and she shook my hand and said, oh th elady forgot their top, , not paying attention , I said, no they are French and that is the way they go to the beach , ah ok , she siad.. further down she spotted a couple without any clothes and she shook my hand and said, oh there are 2 more French people coming this way , then it downed on us we were in Zipolite..

Taking a dirt road we also went to San Agustin,( not San Agustinllo)  that was winder ful, on one saide of a small peninsula was the bay and on the other side the wild ocean, a great place to visit if you like peace and quiet....