Chapala.com Webboard

OXXO money transfers...are they safe?

I sent someone who owed me money my Bancomer debit card # for him to transfer the money via OXXO. Shortly after that there was an unauthorized charge on my account from Amazon MX where I have never done business. I called Bancomer and they credited me for this charge, closed my account and I was required to go through a grueling process to set up a new account. get a new card and reset everything.  I have used OXXO to send money to others but never to receive it. Is it possible for someone to access my bank account with just the debit card #? If so, OXXO has a big problem. By the way I still do not have the owed money since I had to tell him that the old card # is no longer valid.

Never give your card number like that.  You can give your bank clabe number, then they can go to any OXXO or bank and make a deposit to your account.  What you did was to give them the ability to spend money from your account until it was empty........!

I think clabe numbers would be more dangerous. All the times I have sent money through OXXO the only thing they want is the bank debit card number of the recipient. I am thinking that my bank fraud situation might be just a coincidence with me sending my debit cart number to someone for a transfer to my account. I just wanted to check if others might have had a problem with this very popular money transfer system. Gracias  

RVGRINGO said " Never give your card number like that ". Well as far as I know this is the accepted way that OXXO transfers  money. I have done it many times myself sending to people here that I do business with. Only this time I actually sent the debit card number to someone to someone to send money to ME...and it was almost exactly at this time that there was a fraudulent charge on my card. Now after talking to a number of Mexican friends i am convinced that this was a coincidence since I am being told that it is impossible to make any charges on the card with only the number on the front...you also need the expiration date and the 3 didget number on the back. So now in my mind it is safe to send or receive money through OXXO using only the debit card number. Claro?

As you can see from my OP, my concern was having money transferred to me from someone who ONLY has the debit card # through the OXXO money transfer system. I now know that this is how it is done, especially since I have done it the other way, sending money with THEIR debit card #. I am now assuming that a HUGE company such as this has all the safety precautions  in place. 

On 10/31/2019 at 8:13 PM, rafterbr said:

Never hand your debit card to anyone.  They only need a glance to get your expiration date and code on back.  I bought insurance at the bank to cover my bank account and it was a good thing!

Would appreciate telling about the insurance, what was the name and type of insurance you purchased to protect your account and cost.

i know someone that needs it.is this available at all banks or just your bank

6 hours ago, traderspoc said:

Would appreciate telling about the insurance, what was the name and type of insurance you purchased to protect your account and cost.

i know someone that needs it.is this available at all banks or just your bank

A bank officer at Santandar suggested I buy the insurance to protect my bank account from being hacked.  I believe I paid 2 or 3 thousand pesos for 100,000 peso protection.  You can get higher amounts.  My account was hacked through my debit card for 80,000 pesos.  If I had not had the insurance I would not have gotten my money back.  It was hacked from a store or restaurant lakeside.  So be careful, the bank officer told me to never give my card to anyone.  From now on I will pay cash.  I am sure the other banks offer this insurance.

21 hours ago, rafterbr said:

A bank officer at Santandar suggested I buy the insurance to protect my bank account from being hacked.  I believe I paid 2 or 3 thousand pesos for 100,000 peso protection.  You can get higher amounts.  My account was hacked through my debit card for 80,000 pesos.  If I had not had the insurance I would not have gotten my money back.  It was hacked from a store or restaurant lakeside.  So be careful, the bank officer told me to never give my card to anyone.  From now on I will pay cash.  I am sure the other banks offer this insurance.

Thank you great  useful information