Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Campbell's Soup

bdlngton

Campbell’s condensed soup line is neutral or declining in profit. They are eliminating poor sellers to reduce the negative impact on profit. 

They still have 70+ types of canned soup globally, but are struggling to compete with packaged soups perceived to be healthier and that have a “fresher” taste. 

How people can convince themselves that one canned soup is “fresher” is beyond me. 

15 hours ago, ibarra said:

I would imagine only the store manager's or Campbell's themselves could answer your question.  I have found more choices of this brand at SuperLake and El Torito than at Walmart or Soriana. 

Even Super Lake's selection of Mexican Campbell's soup has decreased.  The selection of imported Campbell's is still quite large . . . and expensive. 

21 hours ago, zerbit said:

Campbell’s condensed soup line is neutral or declining in profit. They are eliminating poor sellers to reduce the negative impact on profit. 

They still have 70+ types of canned soup globally, but are struggling to compete with packaged soups perceived to be healthier and that have a “fresher” taste. 

How people can convince themselves that one canned soup is “fresher” is beyond me. 

All of their soups now have MSG in them. I suspect GMS is genetically modified soy. To me anytime I see MSG on the label it means lower quality items have been used cuz that stuff will make anything taste good....

The only Campbell's soup that doesn't have MSG is tomato. And they are all loaded with salt. Not mmm good for you. It actually is extremely hard to find ANY soup or soup stock that doesn't contain MSG. I am very sensitive to MSG but sometimes the headache is just worth it.

Grew up on Campbell's tomato soup and grilled cheese. Bought some tomato "bisque" at CostCo the other day; not a mistake, but not to be repeated. Far too expensive, and just really tasted like it had too many uncooked herbs. It was almost like a thin marinara sauce. I didn't check the sodium level. In any case, it made me yearn for Campbell's. Which is a very popular flavour here; stores are always running out of it... don't know if it is expats or Mexicans or both.

But my personal take on the shortage of soups is that Mexicans just prefer the tried-and-true. The caldos here are often massive all-day undertakings, with family recipes that provide some killer flavours. Canned may be easier, but it just isn't that popular.

The BPA lining in cans has some people concerned. However, I have yet to meet anyone here or in Canada who is refraining from buying canned foods. Reasons are obvious and many: eg: jars are more expensive; most canned stuff (like Campbell's soup) doesn't come in jars anyway.

That concern started over 20 years ago, so any decrease this year could not be attributed to that worry. Further, most manufacturers have replaced their canned linings with BPA-free materials.

The only canned food in my house is dog food. We are so privileged here to have a plethora of fresh food, fruits and vegetable. Also many great restaurants for sit down and take out. And how about all of the roadside stands with healthy traditional Mexican food and also all of the fresh and cooked seafood here. I can't remember when I opened a can of food, except as I say for my dogs and this I mix with a high quality dry dog food. Just my opinion. 

I guess you never buy canned beans (black, red or brown), canned fruit, canned corn, canned coffee, canned tuna, soup of any kind, canned coconut milk/water, canned V8, canned mussels, smoked oysters, pate, water chestnuts, oh I dunno, the list goes on and on. I do.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I guess you never buy canned beans (black, red or brown), canned fruit, canned corn, canned coffee, canned tuna, soup of any kind, canned coconut milk/water, canned V8, canned mussels, smoked oysters, pate, water chestnuts, oh I dunno, the list goes on and on. I do.

No:
Canned beans
Canned fruit
Canned corn
Canned coffee
Canned coconut milk/water/cream
Canned V8
Canned mussels
Canned paté
Canned water chestnuts 

Yes:
Canned tuna (Kirkland albacore)
Canned soup (maybe 2 cans of mushroom a year)
Canned smoked oysters (1 can a year or less)

5 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Canned nothing...get over it.

I do not buy any canned food either except for coconutmilk , anchovies and once in a great while tuna...I make broth once a month freeze it in small quantity and make all the soups we  want with that.    No soft drinks either..

for me it is not a cruisade but  just do not like to buy stuff with things I do not know about, added..

• Like 1

Besides liking particular foods that only comes in a can, like Bushes' baked beans, etc..  having a supply of canned food, is a very practical thing.

If you have ever lived in an area or situation that a natural disaster ocurred  [ earthquake, hurricane, tornado, etc ..]  occurred, or a ' man-made 'disaster ' [ ie. trucking strikes - yes that happens ]  you will know the value of having non-perishible foods on hand in your pantry.  I lived in CA  and near the Loma Pietra  [ good sized ] earthquake when it occurred.  Roads were destroyed,  some bridges  down,  massive power outages , many gas pumps not working in a large surrounding  area,  etc..  that meant no perisible food deliveries, no power to refrigerate , no going to the local grocey store or larger food stores,  etc..  Banks were  closed , no ATMs working - a good reason to keep some money in the household for these type of situations.         I am not a militant survivalist ,  I just try to be smart , plan ahead and try to be prepared . If you think it can not happen here.. just look across the lake to Mt Garcia, and know how this lake was created..  and it's 'cousin'   in Colima  who gets a bit pesky at times.. I was here  when that 'water'event'  hit SJC,  my canned food pantry provided food for many people  when the church  had a  feeding program for those who lost  their ability to feed themselves / family for a few days.                                                                                                                                                    I prefer to be the "ant" and not the 'grasshopper' , in time of these kind of situations.

• Like 4

Good on you Jackie!!! Besides canned goods (like pureed tomato for making your own spaghetti sauce although it is also available in boxes), milk in the boxes and dried pasta, rice and beans are also good to have on hand. Fresh is always best but there are times...