Chapala.com Webboard

Flying a dog to Guadalajara via Mexico City

My travel agent tells me that if you fly a dog in cargo to Guadalajara via Mexico City that the animal will be stuck in the crate in the cargo hold from your original destination to Guadalajara. No relief when the journey stops for several hours in MC-the animal will be unattended. That seems like a very long time to be stuck  in a crate. Has anyone experienced this?  

Yes it is a long time to be stuck in a crate, but some people keep their poor dogs in a crate all day while they are at work. And you certainly wouldn't want them letting the dog out of the crate - good way to loose a dog. Line the crate with flat adult diapers and the dog won't be too uncomfortable. Get a clip--on water dish and trim a little sponge to fit the bottom so the water doesn't slosh around. NO FOOD! You don't want the dog getting an upset tummy. Not ideal but could be worse.

Thanks MtnMama. It seems so primitive. Poor dogs. When I travelled through Mexico City with my dog in the cabin the employees said there was no place for a dog to relieve itself but I found a place and almost missed my plane.

Dogs are den animals, and if they have a crate at home, hopefully the trip won't be hard on them. My three dogs love their crates, they frequently nap in them with the door open. Crates, when used properly, are great for training dogs and are not cruel as some folks try to convey. Surely, there are direct flights with no layovers and transfers. 

48 minutes ago, Michael Ray said:

Dogs are den animals, and if they have a crate at home, hopefully the trip won't be hard on them. My three dogs love their crates, they frequently nap in them with the door open. Crates, when used properly, are great for training dogs and are not cruel as some folks try to convey. Surely, there are direct flights with no layovers and transfers. 

No direct flights

13 hours ago, MtnMama said:

Yes it is a long time to be stuck in a crate, but some people keep their poor dogs in a crate all day while they are at work. And you certainly wouldn't want them letting the dog out of the crate - good way to loose a dog. Line the crate with flat adult diapers and the dog won't be too uncomfortable. Get a clip--on water dish and trim a little sponge to fit the bottom so the water doesn't slosh around. NO FOOD! You don't want the dog getting an upset tummy. Not ideal but could be worse.

To my knowledge, you aren't allowed to have anything in the crate with the dog when you fly.

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 12:43 PM, mudgirl said:

To my knowledge, you aren't allowed to have anything in the crate with the dog when you fly.

WHAT????? Check with your airlines but these are American Airlines rules:

Have separate food and watering dishes attached securely inside the kennel
Have a small bag of food for a 24-hour period attached to the top
Be clean and have absorbent material or litter (no straw, hay or wood shavings)

1 hour ago, MtnMama said:

WHAT????? Check with your airlines but these are American Airlines rules:

Have separate food and watering dishes attached securely inside the kennel
Have a small bag of food for a 24-hour period attached to the top
Be clean and have absorbent material or litter (no straw, hay or wood shavings)

I flew with my dog from Guad to Baja on Viva Aerobus. The rules were that there could be nothing in the crate with the dog- no mat to lay on, no toys, no water, food, nothing. And I'm pretty sure I've read those rules on some other airline sites as well.

Mexico does not allow anything in the crates, as bedding and toys can harbor bugs etc. Bringing those in (even pads in a cabin-carried pet) triggers Sagarpa  agents to trash those materials and sanitize/disinfect the crate. Years ago, many travelers had pets (particularly cats) die from contact with these chemicals. Their requirements are strict but are clearly posted on the Sagarpa website for bringing pets into Mexico.