Chapala.com Webboard

Reliable Bi-lingual Worker

Shag

Pls note that this is a new poster who is making a recommendation. I will not comment on this particular worker, but simply say to get references from folks that have actually had work done. Check out work that this person has done. If possible, get credentials besides the word of a friend, no matter how well intentioned. We've had amazing work done by the folks at Opiere, Chapala Tree Service, the  ironworks place and others, but also paid a lot of money for substandard work by others. Hopefully, we've learned from being burned. I'm not commenting on this particular individual, but simply making an observation from experience.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, HappilyNutz said:

Pls note that this is a new poster who is making a recommendation. I will not comment on this particular worker, but simply say to get references from folks that have actually had work done. Check out work that this person has done. If possible, get credentials besides the word of a friend, no matter how well intentioned. We've had amazing work done by the folks at Opiere, Chapala Tree Service, the  ironworks place and others, but also paid a lot of money for substandard work by others. Hopefully, we've learned from being burned. I'm not commenting on this particular individual, but simply making an observation from experience.

yes, thank you that is wise advice.  And I totally agree with you.  This friend lived and worked in the states for many years.  Has worked for years washing cars at walmart as it is a steady job. I will not name names but when his grandfather died in order to get off work to go to the funeral he had to pay the man in control $300mxn.  When his baby was born 9 days ago and he had to be at the hospital to help his wife, he had to pay another $300.  Another friend of ours who works there, had to pay $300 to be off for the day to go help his daughter in the hospital.  The man in charge does not care about them. The workers put up with this because work is scarce and washing cars at Walmart, believe it or not is a coveted job.   I have written the corporate office of Walmart in Mexico City.  They respond quickly.  The manager of This walmart is a good honest man.  He just doesnt know what is going on.  I say all this to just say we are helping our friend break away from this "control" .  

no many things in mexico dont make sense.  There is alot of graft and dishonesty.  By the way.  The way this worker became a good friend.  Four years ago we met him as we hired him to help build our house.  He was highly recommended so we used him for many many things.  He worked very hard, reliable, on time and work long hours.  We came to be friends and love his whole family.  So we know his work.

7 minutes ago, Justathought said:

Sorry...but something stinks ... just doesn’t make sense .    Anyone else ? 

yes, even on rainy days when few people want their cars washed, if a worker wants to go do another job to help his family for the day, he must pay the man in charge.  Hopefully Walmart will do something about it.

1 hour ago, fordtruckman said:

Do they pay when they do work? 

The money they earn goes to a pot.  Then they get paid from that.  If they go do work on the side, other jobs, they must pay the boss from that too.  As the boss came to our house and waited in the street on friday when we paid our friend for his construction work.  He had to pay the man from the money we paid him in order to keep his walmart job.  Weve encouraged our 2 friends there to go to the management about it.  They are afraid they will loose their jobs. So they dont speak up.   And as you know jobs here are hard to come by......so they endure the bullying.