Chapala.com Webboard

Experience at the Chapala Ministerio Publico (hello Harry B.)

ezpz

I had to go down, with my immigration lawyer, to the CMP to file a report today that I lost my Permanente visa card while traveling and need it replaced.  The CMP is now near Christiana Parque in a completely different location than when I first went there about 11 years ago regarding a dog bite.  Back then, it was located in central Chapala in a reasonably nice building with reasonable good service, and I was able to handle the whole transaction myself in espanyol.  Fine.

Today's experience was a bit of a shock.  The new building, which is actually an older house, was not only not an improvement, it was a lot worse than before.  There was no place to sit down, even to fill out a report form, which I had to do standing up, bending over a table.  The few employees seemed to have no concept of customer service or professionalism.  It was cluttered and disorganized.  We got through it OK only because there were not a lot of people there at the time.

It seems they are actually trying to make it harder to file reports - just to discourage people from doing so?  I don't know.  HarryB., do you have any comments on this?   Gracias!

Not sure why it was necessary to file this report.  I had lost my card while traveling as well.  What was required was a visit to Immigration and then I had was told I had to leave the country to re-apply.  Same with some friends of ours. 

Although I am not doubting your word, it seems preposterous that if one looses a piece of paper (visa) that one has to vacate the country and reapply for the visa all over again. Surely there must be some other avenue available.  

• Confused 1

I totally agree, when I went to Ministerio Publico to report a significant theft the clerk insisted on recording me as "americano" even though I presented only Mexican ID. That told me the issue was closed. What to do? NOTHING live with it!

13 hours ago, RickS said:

Although I am not doubting your word, it seems preposterous that if one looses a piece of paper (visa) that one has to vacate the country and reapply for the visa all over again. Surely there must be some other avenue available.  

If you've been in Mexico long enough you know how things are done here...beyond my comprehension or level of reason.

1 hour ago, Alpha1 said:

If you've been in Mexico long enough you know how things are done here...beyond my comprehension or level of reason.

15 hours ago, Zeb said:

Not sure why it was necessary to file this report.  I had lost my card while traveling as well.  What was required was a visit to Immigration and then I had was told I had to leave the country to re-apply.  Same with some friends of ours. 

Immigration law is when you loose a resident card abroad you have to go to a Mexican Embassy or Consulate in that country to report it lost or stolen and get a form to re-enter Mexico. Failing to do this when re-entering INM will force you to enter as a tourist with a FMM tourist card which invalidates your INM legal status. The card is the property of the INM and not your property.

If it beyond your comprehension you need to learn to read Spanish and study the different systems in Mexico to understand what is required to live here fully assimilated to become aware of your responsibilities of living here. IMO

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

Immigration law is when you loose a resident card abroad you have to go to a Mexican Embassy or Consulate in that country to report it lost or stolen and get a form to re-enter Mexico. Failing to do this when re-entering INM will force you to enter as a tourist with a FMM tourist card which invalidates your INM legal status. The card is the property of the INM and not your property.

If it beyond your comprehension you need to learn to read Spanish and study the different systems in Mexico to understand what is required to live here fully assimilated to become aware of your responsibilities of living here. IMO

Your last critique should have been addressed to Alpha1.  That was the posted who said it was beyond his comprehension.  I am quite clear on the procedures as I personally lost my card out of Mexico, so I know quite well what it took to replace it.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:59 PM, mudgirl said:

My neighbor lost his permanente card. He went to INM in PV and they issued him a new one. It cost him a couple thousand pesos, but he wasn't told he had to apply for a new one outside the country.

Your neighbor  lost it in Mexico I am quite sure, and that's why a replacement could be issued here.  When it is lost out of the country, then it's a whole different thing. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2019 at 8:23 PM, RickS said:

I agree that it is preposterous.  That, however, is what they do to people who lose it out of the country.  They have computers at the airport, so I don't even know why a piece of paper would be needed.  I was stuck at the airport for over an hour even though they looked on the computer system.  They said they needed some numbers or something that was on the card.  Mexico is not known for efficiency.  The whole procedure they put people through to get a card replaced when lost out of the country is simply another money maker and job creator for the government at the expense of the tax payers.  There's no reason it has to be this way.  All that data can be in their computers and a card could just be a back up for the person in case the computer system was down.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Zeb said:

Your neighbor  lost it in Mexico I am quite sure, and that's why a replacement could be issued here.  When it is lost out of the country, then it's a whole different thing. 

Correct. He lost it in Mexico. Neither the OP nor you mentioned where you had lost your cards, only "while traveling". It's also possible to travel within Mexico, so I didn't make the assumption that it had been lost outside the country.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Zeb said:

Your last critique should have been addressed to Alpha1.  That was the posted who said it was beyond his comprehension.  I am quite clear on the procedures as I personally lost my card out of Mexico, so I know quite well what it took to replace it.

I assumed people would know my first comment was directed to you and the seperated by a space second comment was directed to alpha as I quoted both. Sorry to not go into more detail. I usually post very detailed posts. The posters that keep posting one sentence or less are frustrating to understand.

Hola otra vez!  I was travelling within Mexico and actually lost my permanente card after using it as my ID at security at the GDL airport.  It must have fallen out of my pocket.  I asked around to several security guards plus checking the Lost and Found when I returned a few days later and nobody had turned it in.  This makes me wonder what someone who found it would want to do with it.  

It's going to cost me $9000MXP to get the new one, like I have to go through almost the entire process again.  I'm working with my immigration lawyer on this.  I'm surprised to read of others getting their new cards for much less money.  I went to the immigration office at the CDMX airport and they told me I would have to make a report at the Ministerio Publico in order to apply for a new one.  Then they would not let me exit the way I came in and made me go through security yet again, and I almost missed my plane.