Chapala.com Webboard

Coconut Cream Pie

Gonzales

Once upon a time, on Rt. 40, up toward the Devil's Spine, on the way from Mazatlan to Durango, there was a place with real, honest to goodness, banana cream pie. It was delicious!  There was an old gold mine under the place, complete with resident bats.  It was worth the long curvy drive up the mountain whenever we stayed in Mazatlan.  I just can't remember the name of the tiny village...maybe Copala de Sinaloa?????  I also seem to remember the one other restaurant in that area....Alejandro's, I think, which also served a similar pie, but not quite as good.  Maybe the elevation was too high for cocos, but it was OK for bananas.

Today, I am enjoying a home-made apple pie, fresh out of the oven, for the day after my 82nd cumpleaños  celebration.

• Like 3

RV gringo...we used to go there a lot....the sugar cookie type crust was the best as well....his ex-wife used to make them in Mazatlan and they were just great.  After he passed away another restaurant took over running the place but it was never the same.  His name also escapes both of us!  We haven't found anything like those here!!!

Was it David, or perhaps Daniel?   Does the place still exist?  I had heard that he 'retired' to Mazatlan when we were last there, more than a dozen years ago.

Good memories, but the details are fading............

I imagine that the new 40D has made those little towns even more isolated.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:49 PM, RVGRINGO said:

Today, I am enjoying a home-made apple pie, fresh out of the oven, for the day after my 82nd cumpleaños  celebration.

Happy, Happy Birthday, RVGringo!    82nd birthday is a great reason for celebration with a home=made applie pie!