Chapala.com Webboard

El Chapo's Son Released

RickS

4 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

...Money talks...and big guns talk even louder.

Some five years ago I found myself in a land dispute with a gringo thug.  Within a couple of days three of the CJNG''s finest rang my doorbell.  They also had a dispute with the same gringo and offered to do me a "favor."  So we get into a one hour conversation about the problem and I told them thanks but I prefer to handle this on my own.  As they were leaving I said if you confront the thug, be careful, he carries a .357 in a bag on his hip.  They all busted out laughing and said

"Tenemos Amigos con Armas Mas Grande!"

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I think it is the fault of the US President and his administration. They probably are selling lots of surplus high powered arms to these cartels. If not, must be the previous administration, where everyone's son is protected from everything.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

30 minutes ago, Hud said:

I think it is the fault of the US President and his administration. They probably are selling lots of surplus high powered arms to these cartels. If not, must be the previous administration, where everyone's son is protected from everything.

The "other web board" at lakeside has a political forum for all.  I suggest you post there.  Your call,

https://www.insidelakeside.com/

My opinion is the strategy is wrong.  All this focus on a few top guys who are easily and quickly replaced while the street level thugs operate virtually unchallenged.  Some years back NYC made a dramatic reduction in crime by focusing at the street level.  Because the troops are operating unhindered the cartels are branching out into everything from stealing gasoline to extortion to highway robbery and even deforestation and hijacking avocados.  It is really foolish to believe drug legalization will put these people out of business.  They are already diversifying.  

Mexico needs to understand it is in a war with crime and the criminals are winning.  When you are in a war, you don't focus exclusively on trying to get the other guy's generals, you focus on killing and capturing his troops and material on the ground.  A general whose troops have been shot or jailed en mass (I like the concept of stockades out in the northern deserts far away from everyone) isn't going to win a lot of wars. 

I also feel, though I personally like and respect the man, AMLO is the wrong person for these times.  The country needs a real butt kicker, not a nice guy.  This just isn't working.  It is clear the security situation is deteriorating.  Those of you with subscriptions to the GDL Reporter check out the letter to the editor there this week.  The impunity of the common thieves is growing by leaps and bounds.

Just my $0.02 after 12 years of living here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You know a really good insight to all this is in Paul Theroux's new book, which I shilled a few posts ago. It is available, as a free sample from Amazon. Some real knowledge here, from a traveller who has been mugged, extorted and robbed many times in his solo world travels.

At least download the sample beginning chapters for a brain opening experience.

I will add, however, that wars are nothing to do with power and destructiion, I was taught that war is about overcoming an enemies will to resist. For example Lorenz's landmark book, On War, he studies conflicts in nature, and finds the most self destructive animal is ironically the dove. They fight to the death. Wolves, on other hand, with all their jaws and speed, pick their fights very carefully, someone has to runaway, get ready for another challenge next year. Yes, sort of like politics and foreign policy.

edit. I should have added that humans propensity to war, was at least partially due to humans access to weapons such as miniature rocket grenades, high distance snipers, and nuclear threats. Humans, poorly equipped to fight anything, are now armed with highly effective weapons, but have not developed the boundaries for aggression.

another edit, the book by Lorenz is titled "On Aggression"