Chapala.com Webboard

Cat flea collar

NONE.  Not only do they all contain chemicals that are harmful to your cat,  YOU can be overexposed to those same chemicals as you stroke your cat, including passing your hands over the surface of the collar.  Bite the bullet and spend the money on better alternatives.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Please tell me what better alternatives I have.

Topical applications like my personal favorite Advantage (NOT Advantix....will kill your cat), Frontline for Cats ( dog formula this product also not safe)  -- although some vets believe local fleas have developed some immunity to FL), Revolution  --- IF your cat has been blood tested and is negative for Heartworm (or also can be fatal) , and  Virbac for Cats (available from Hector Ladron clinic). 

Frontline also comes in a spray form but it's tricky to apply the correct amount and it has to be evenly spread all over the cat.... ugh!!

I believe there is also a chewable tablet these days but years ago when we were in Canada the only tablet form available killed the adult fleas but NOT the eggs, so useless as far as I'm concerned. (Flea eggs can live for months until something  stirs them to hatch). 

OTC Haartz products are  not recommended...... harsh, old-style chemicals and not very effective.

Advantage, Frontline, and Revolution are good for 30 days.  Not sure about Virbac --- maybe 6 weeks?  ASK.

And remember --- fleas carry tapeworm, so infested cats will also have it and can even give it to you!

Stand her on a piece of white paper.  Rub vigorously, especially under her belly and  all lower body from neck to rear end.  If ANY little blackish bits appear,  take  a glass of water and, using a finger, drop one drop on each black bit.  Wait one minute.  If any of them turns a dark reddish-brown (sort of an oxblood color), that's flea poop.... and that means fleas!