Chapala.com Webboard

solar systens

lucky one

Solar systems for grid tie are basically very simple. There are dozens of panel manufacturers and basically they are the same construction  & quality. Deciding to use a string inverter or micro inverters will depend on your panel location and possible need for future expansion. 

What you really need is to find a competent company to do the installation, and that will be around if you might need any warranty assistance. Also one that doesn't mark up the equipment 200%-300%

Many folks at lakeside are now interested in either adding backup power to a home, with or without a solar system, or installing a hybrid type system that can function both grid-tied and which will offer auto-backup power if the grid is not available.

Stay tuned as these are both now starting to become more available and affordable; a lot of change will happen during the next 6 months.

• Like 2

I had a friend do my system around $3,000US, 6 panels, 12 year warranty 20 year life.  1/2 the cost of other quotes, included installation and everything. Getting quotes is like asking for prices on stints from doctors, nobody want to give out prices.

350W 72 cell system, generate an average of 558 kwp per 2 month billing cycle

• Like 1

Just for the record, quoting the number of panels without quoting their capacity is useless. I have 5 panels and have had a big fat zero electrical bill for nearly two years now except for the 47 peso administration charge. I take care of that by going in every January to pay 300 pesos for the coming years bills. My panels are rated at 350 watts which means they are capable of producing 350 watts PER HOUR in ideal conditions. They are mono-crystalline and are Canadian made with a 25 year life. The newer panels are rated at 370 watts.

As Intercasa stated, get quotes!

The Envoy monitoring device is optional but I love being able to track production on my computer and I love the end of month total production via e-mail. The monitoring also shows CFE blackouts as, well, black.

The actual installation took place in the first week in March in 2018, the crew was amazing and did a nice clean installation. I was dealing with Bettina Bering (331-210-7723) and she organized the quote but I don't know if she is still doing this. Absolute perfection and have had no problems except when I changed my modem and then the monitoring device had to be re-programmed. There was no charge for that but I did tip the guy.

Bettina looked at my electrical bills and asked if I was going to be planning any other electrical additions. I wanted an electric heater for the winter months. I currently have 540 kwh banked for that. Last year, the heater used 270 kwh.

I do not have any pumps except for a 1/3 hp igoto booster pump from the tinaco. One Fridge (which sucks 450 kwh per year) but it's an olden golden solid fridge/freezer. One Microwave, one coffee maker, one toaster oven, one TV, one printer, one laptop, six ceiling fans (going non-stop from the end of April to the end of July) and lights with energy efficient bulbs, one washer and one dryer (both used 3 times a week).

• Like 1

Many homes lakeside are at a place with CFE, just into & above the DAC level, where they love the STI 4 panel system (380 watts each, 1.52 kW total size) using the amazing QS1 micro-inverter from AP Systems (STI is a national distributor).    Produces on average, 450 to 500 kWh per 2 month CFE billing period to get those CFE bills from 3500 pesos, down to about 200 to 250.     (as most know, it does not pay to go to "0")

10 year micro-inverter warranty, 25 years on the panels.   And STI also provides, n/c, any warranty labour that may be needed (which the equipment mfrs do not cover)

With the ECU-R per panel online monitoring system (no ongoing charge), and delivered, fully installed, all taxes, and the CFE admin work for the solar account re-registration and meter change:   typical home cost is priced to pay back in about 3 years or less, based on DAC level rates.     Top quality products, 1st class installation, @ the guaranteed best pricing.     

• Like 3

LOL. Zero works for me because my banked kwh gets all used up in the cold months of December and January between my heated mattress cover and my little electric "wood burning" stove. I also have a combination microwave/convection oven/grill by Cuisinart on my wish list for Santa. ;)

That's the other nice thing about micro-inverters;  (STI has both types, micro and central / string, so no bias)   expansion essentially w/o limits.    And, larger panels can be combined in a system with smaller ones and get the full benefit of them.      So someone with 60 cell, 250 watt panels from 2 to 3 year ago, can cost effectively expand / upgrade with adding 72 cell, 330 to 380 watt panels in the same wiring string, today, as the AC power is made at the panel.