Chapala.com Webboard

Best Pet Charities

I  do not know that there are " the  best"  pet charities.

There are two dog shelters: The Ranch  and Lucky Dog.  There is one cat shelter run by LFA with an associated pet food store,

There are two spay / neuter organizations   - one at each end of the lake,  due to two different municipalities  they must engage in their work . The   purpose of these two organizations  is to provide free spay/neuter services for those  Mexican Nationals  who may not have the financial  means for this and/ or have physical access to a Vet for these services.  They also do education at these  clinics about  respect for animals,  and also do vaccinations.   They are staffed by volunteers,  and have fund raisers and  accept donations as the surgical supplies are not inexpensive. Due to  their on-going work at lakeside there  really is less unwanted puppies and kittens  as to compared to years ago - I know this  from my 13 years of fostering kittens and puppies  that were found tossed in the garbage, or  worse, etc.. . And through education there has actually been an increase  of  male dogs and cats  being  brought to the clinics by their owners - that is also an improvement. Many Mexicans   really do love their pets, but due to economics, have to make decisions about their human family's  financial needs or  sterlization for their pets. These two organizations   do  take this burden off the 'bread-winner' in the family ,  and in general it helps the community at lakeside . 

As soon as I can get the current /accurate contact information for these two groups, I will add it to this  posting.

I will not engage in a 'debate' as to who is more deserving of these spay / neutering services.. an ex-pat living on a pension or a Mexican family whose bread-winner is earning 50 - 75 pesos / an hour, 5 and 1/2 days/week,  and supporting their family. The programs  were  set up for Mexican Nationals.  The belief is, if there is less unwanted kittens / puppies being born, it is a benefit to all involved who care about the pet over-population, including the local shelters .  Many of the volunteers who give their time to  these  s/p groups,  volunteer at both organizations when they have a sterlization clinic,, as well volunteering  at the two dog shelters.   I am not  naive to think this  will deal with the 'dumping' of dogs in particular,  but it will slow down the  unwanted births  / pet over-pupulation.  These two   group although seperated by official municipality lines,  they help each other with the same goal.

Chapala, East end of the Lake - Operacion  Amor :   Cameron Peters<zo-onna@hotmail.com>,

Jocotopec, West end of the lake:  Tails of Mexico -  Susan Watkins : <susan_watkins@outlook.com>    or  tailsofmexico@hotmail.com

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You have omitted a very important one, Bone Voyage. This organization is constantly flying dogs and pups to the United States and Canada  where they go to good homes. I believe they may achieve their goal to send  500 dogs and pups up north this year. This is more than the amount of adoptions realized by the two charities mentioned. They take dogs from those two shelters, private individuals as well as private rescues, thereby helping the entire community. All dogs and pups are spay/neutered and have all their shots before leaving Mexico. When you donate to them you are in essence donating to all the rescue groups lakeside. BTW, it is my understanding that the spay/neuter clinics service all, not just Mexican nationals. After all, the dogs and cats are Mexican and can reproduce just as easily when owned by an expat. 

• Thanks 2

There are quite a number of animal groups locally - some that have actual AC status , meaning they are non-profits with the necessary Tax Id’s and license and are subject to strict oversight and financial reporting.  (The Ranch, Lucky Dog, Friends of Animals , Operation Amor to  name a few.).  Other groups are more informal organizations of concerned animal lovers with various points of focus. My personal choice is to donate only to licensed AC’s (animal or otherwise). No disrespect to other worthy groups but Ive been around around a while and know stuff can happen so that’s my my comfort level.  Others choose differently

1 hour ago, Jackie said:

I  do not know that there are " the  best"  pet charities.

There are two dog shelters: The Ranch  and Lucky Dog.  There is one cat shelter run by LFA with an associated pet food store,

There are two spay / neuter organizations   - one at each end of the lake,  due to two different municipalities  they must engage in their work . The   purpose of these two organizations  is to provide free spay/neuter services for those  Mexican Nationals  who may not have the financial  means for this and/ or have physical access to a Vet for these services.  They also do education at these  clinics about  respect for animals,  and also do vaccinations.   They are staffed by volunteers,  and have fund raisers and  accept donations as the surgical supplies are not inexpensive. Due to  their on-going work at lakeside there  really is less unwanted puppies and kittens  as to compared to years ago - I know this  from my 13 years of fostering kittens and puppies  that were found tossed in the garbage, or  worse, etc.. . And through education there has actually been an increase  of  male dogs and cats  being  brought to the clinics by their owners - that is also an improvement. Many Mexicans   really do love their pets, but due to economics, have to make decisions about their human family's  financial needs or  sterlization for their pets. These two organizations   do  take this burden off the 'bread-winner' in the family ,  and in general it helps the community at lakeside . 

As soon as I can get the current /accurate contact information for these two groups, I will add it to this  posting.

Excellent!   I will wait for the contact information and use one or both of those for donation purposes.

1 hour ago, luvsdawgs said:

You have omitted a very important one, Bone Voyage. This organization is constantly flying dogs and pups to the United States and Canada  where they go to good homes. I believe they may achieve their goal to send  500 dogs and pups up north this year. This is more than the amount of adoptions realized by the two charities mentioned. They take dogs from those two shelters, private individuals as well as private rescues, thereby helping the entire community. All dogs and pups are spay/neutered and have all their shots before leaving Mexico. When you donate to them you are in essence donating to all the rescue groups lakeside. BTW, it is my understanding that the spay/neuter clinics service all, not just Mexican nationals. After all, the dogs and cats are Mexican and can reproduce just as easily when owned by an expat. 

Do you have contact info for them?

You have misrepresented Lakeside Friends of the Animals (AC (LfA)  Lfa owns the Riberas Pet Store and all the store profits are used to help Animals in the Lakeside area These are a few of the projects LFA pays for 

1 Education we provide the funds for a 8 week program in our local schools teaching Human Education.

2 We pay through 4 local Veterinarians to provide Spay/Neuter ,Puppy Vaccines, and Emergency care for dogs and cats  of Mexican Nationals of limited means.

3 We pay our 4 Vets to Spay/ Neuter feral cats  from any source. We also provide traps to catch them

4 We operate a Cat Shelter for Street cats.

LFA is a recognized Animal Charity which has been in operation in Lakeside over 20 years.

On 10/18/2019 at 8:35 AM, ComputerGuy said:

Jackie is an unimpeachable source when it comes to rescuing and caring for animals. She most certainly did not "misrepresent" LFA. She simply mentioned them, which was smart. It's not her job to proselytize for them.

She said there are 2 organizations doing spay/neuter she left out LFA LFA has done over 1200 spay/neuters from January to the end of September just in the year 2019