Chapala.com Webboard

Great Burgers

tomgates

Barcelona Woman I agree with you on some levels.  However, food prices have gone up for everyone and those prices have to be reflected as well when eating out.  As to the person that thinks I was responsible for all of our housekeeper's good fortune, I was not.  However, paying $100 pesos for a day of work was not a living wage even for here.  She now makes $60 pesos an hour.  She was offered $1500.00 pesos for 6 hours from a newbie to leave us but thank goodness she's loyal.  It's those kind of unreasonable prices that aggravate me.  The newbies are ruining the economy, I agree.

• Like 1

I just had lunch at Scallions (Spelling?), the old Salvador's. I made the mistake of ordering their hamburger. Yes, it tasted very good, one of the best I can remember having. But it was so big and so thick, that I couldn't open my mouth wide enough to take a bite. I finally managed by squishing it. The burger was so large that I was only able to eat about 60% of it. I took the rest home and the dogs went crazy.

Again, the hamburger tasted fantastic, it was just too big and thick. Oh, and the cost $145 pesos which was more than fair considering how big it was. 

I shall continue eating at Scallions, but never will I try to eat one of their oversized hamburgers. :) 

• 1 month later...

There's something being missed when it comes to prices. Many restaurants are doing well, and as a result, when their lease comes up the landlord wants some of those pesos. They raise the rent, and, guess what, the prices go up. The Ajijic pizza place, Garlic Brothers (?) closed or moved because the landlord wanted more than they could afford.

I also think Wookie's points regarding both quality and creativity are well taken. I'm looking forward to trying the place.

I agree Tripp's has a mediocre hamburger which is vastly over priced.  Just because the meat says it is angus does not mean it is pure angus.  There are at least 5 breeds of cattle which are black and their meat is often passed off as angus.  They are even selling meat in the states now marked Hereford.  This is just a ploy to try and get some of the action from the angus label..  The hereford is a red cow with a white face which was very much in disfavor by the ranchers and feed lots due to its low disease resistance and does not  do well in cold climates where most of the feed lots are.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rafterbr said:

The hereford is a red cow with a white face which was very much in disfavor by the ranchers and feed lots due to its low disease resistance and does not  do well in cold climates where most of the feed lots are.

How now BROWN  cow with a bit of white? I am the foremost breed of beef cattle in Canada and here i am near Pincher Creek Alberta where it sometimes reaches -40f or -30c[same thing] or lower. Alberta produces 59.6% of the cattle in Canada. Thanks for telling me it's too cold here and my rancher is raising us prone to diseased useless steers. I really like to be sent to the feed lot because it's way warmer when a bunch of us are in close quarters producing all that methane.

hereford-cattle-near-pincher-creek-alberta.jpg

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, slainte39 said:

Charolais, Brahmans, Cebus, Sta Gertrudis, are warm weather cows that don´t well in the colder climates.  Never heard of Herefords being in that group as they do quite well in the cold winters of the Sand Hills, Cherry County, Nebraska.

I got news for you us Charolais are just fine with cold weather. Here are a bunch of us near Innisfail Alberta. Don't forget us Brahman bulls who are raised  on a ranch south of Hanna Alberta for the Calgary Stampede. as a matter of fact,you can find us all over Saskatchewan and Alberta rodeos. We ain't chickens.

brahman bull alberta.jpg

charolais innisfail.jpg

• Like 1

I have raised and sold cattle in Oklahoma for over 50 years and I know for a fact Hereford cows are subject to pink eye and  anaplasmosis.  Anaplasmosis is a disease carried by ticks and horse flys and is carried by deer.  It kills many cows in the south where it is warmer.  It is not prevalent in the North where it is colder.  The hereford is not as hardy in resisting this disease as most of the other cattle breeds are.  I have lost many cows to this disease and quit having herefords as a result.  Most all the ranches I know in Oklahoma and Texas have gone primarily to the angus which is more disease resistant.  Lately there has been a small surge in Hereford herds because ranchers now like to buy hereford bulls to cross with their angus cows.  This gives a black and white face calf which is hardy and grows well.  As far as the cold, feed lots say it takes more feed per pound of gain in a hereford than it does a angus or similar breed in cold weather.  In Oklahoma a hereford calf will bring 40 to 50 cents a pound less than a angus.  At 600 pounds which is what I like my calfs to weigh when I sell this can  be $300 less a calf.  A lot of money.  I cannot speak to Canadian cattle but I know what happens in Oklahoma and Texas and we raise a hell of a lot of cattle.

11 minutes ago, rafterbr said:

I have raised and sold cattle in Oklahoma for over 50 years and I know for a fact Hereford cows are subject to pink eye and  anaplasmosis.  Anaplasmosis is a disease carried by ticks and horse flys and is carried by deer.  It kills many cows in the south where it is warmer.  It is not prevalent in the North where it is colder.  The hereford is not as hardy in resisting this disease as most of the other cattle breeds are.  I have lost many cows to this disease and quit having herefords as a result.  Most all the ranches I know in Oklahoma and Texas have gone primarily to the angus which is more disease resistant.  Lately there has been a small surge in Hereford herds because ranchers now like to buy hereford bulls to cross with their angus cows.  This gives a black and white face calf which is hardy and grows well.  As far as the cold, feed lots say it takes more feed per pound of gain in a hereford than it does a angus or similar breed in cold weather.  In Oklahoma a hereford calf will bring 40 to 50 cents a pound less than a angus.  At 600 pounds which is what I like my calfs to weigh when I sell this can  be $300 less a calf.  A lot of money.  I cannot speak to Canadian cattle but I know what happens in Oklahoma and Texas and we raise a hell of a lot of cattle.

All breeds of cattle have their problems no matter where they are located. It's unfortunate that you decided to generalize  about a breed of cattle that is  the most dominant breed WORLD WIDE,the Hereford. It really is unfortunate that you have had such bad luck.

• Haha 1

I'm here to talk burgers, not cows and other bulls___.

I make my own burgers most often, and usually much tastier than any restaurant or fast-food chain. I disagree with TV chefs who tell me to only add a pinch of salt and pepper. (And they tend to use super expensive cuts of meat, which may get them $25 bucks at their restaurants, but you won't see me there, because cheap ground is what it's all about).

However, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a decent burger from a fast-food joint when the urge or the smell hits me. My problem here is that Trip's doesn't do anything to satisfy that urge. There's a cenaduria in SAT that does satisfy that desire, and their burgers, while not great, are better than Trip's and they only cost 25p.

• Like 2

@gringal  Agree that the hamburguesa de cordero at Cocinart is tops!  Comes with a big dollop of softened goat cheese and sauteed mushrooms.  Doesn't need ketchup or anything else. 

Merendero Lake also has a lamb burger that is excellent; comes with caramelized onions and a red wine sauce.  Merendero also has the best hamburguesa de camarones....super spicy chipotle sauce on it.  

I had Tony's grind some pork with extra fat and made into kimchi pork burgers at home.  

Burgers don't mean beef, at least not to me.  

35 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm here to talk burgers, not cows and other bulls___.

I make my own burgers most often, and usually much tastier than any restaurant or fast-food chain. I disagree with TV chefs who tell me only t add a pinch of salt and pepper. (And they tend to use super expensive cuts of meat, which may get them $25 bucks at their restaurants, but you won't see me there, because cheap ground is what it's all about).

However, there is nothing wrong with grabbing a decent burger from a fast-food joint when the urge or the smell hits me. My problem here is that Trip's doesn't do anything to satisfy that urge. There's a cenaduria in SAT that does satisfy that desire, and their burgers, while not great, are better than Trip's and they only cost 25p.

I can't even remember the last time I had a burger around here other than on my Weber. Yes to cheap ground. The butcher is shocked by how much suet like fat we ask him to add. I use Woody's Cookin' Sauce lightly on top of that Hy's Seasoned Salt,Lawrys Season Pepper and Kirkland garlic powder on the raw patty. Then add cheese whilst bbqing. I don't run with scissors nor indulge in even pinkish burger patty. Oh but i did try  a Big Mac after being in hospital twice. Never again here in Guadalajara.They should loose their franchise for serving up such garbage and McD Headquarters in Chicago ignored me totally even though their marketing claim is that their product is the same worldwide

3 minutes ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@gringal  Agree that the hamburguesa de cordero at Cocinart is tops!  Comes with a big dollop of softened goat cheese and sauteed mushrooms.  Doesn't need ketchup or anything else. 

Merendero Lake also has a lamb burger that is excellent; comes with caramelized onions and a red wine sauce.  Merendero also has the best hamburguesa de camarones....super spicy chipotle sauce on it.  

I had Tony's grind some pork with extra fat and made into kimchi pork burgers at home.  

Yup but again I  prefer to do them myself.

2 hours ago, Canada-Mike said:

Well, it wouldn't due to post that, would it?

Dooby dooby doo, due or do or dew...

Now, why would they mention anything like that on their FB page, Kam?

https://www.facebook.com/purplegarlicpizzabrothers/?ref=search&__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARD6oiUJLjHaiX38hy47tdkCEBxgB59GmXynxjsQjTHfiTfega8v5cG0RKljYfo3CgnlhVe2kBptL5Xb

7 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

@gringal   

A hamburger means it's beef, a burger can be anything,  lambburger, chickenburger, sausageburger, etc.  Almost all hamburger meat comes from bulls and cows not the younger and pricier steer and heifer calfs.  When they talk about hamburger meat from prime ribs.  I am sure they are talking about the prime ribs from bulls and cows.  A cow now sells for 50 cents a pound on the hoof and a steer freshly weaned at $1.60 a pound.  Feedlot price for calves  is usually from $1.10 to $1.20 a pound to the butchers. .  Most cattle dress out at around 60 per cent of live weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unhappy Jillian ...your description of the perfect burger bares little or no resemblance to the the real thing ....woodysy  cooking sauce....?....Hys seasoning salt ...Lawrys seasoning junk...Kirklands powdered chemical garlic ,sounds like some kind of well done Salisbury steak ...all it’s missing is “ mushroom gravy “   The  “ real deal “  all American  hamburger is somewhat  near an 80 / 20 mix of various secondary cuts but great tasting  quality beef ...it’s all about the beef....never less than  an inch thick ..only seasoning on the exterior.... so it doesn’t dry out the meat  ( fact ) .. seared ..but most of all... never ...ever cook it past medium. .even that’s a push . Anything else fast food  junk ., .  Cocinart does a good job for about 100 pesos  , When  it comes to beef  etc. we should probably be listening to rafter , most food knowledge does not come from books...it’s called ..experience !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Ian Greenwood said:

Unhappy Jillian ...your description of the perfect burger bares little or no resemblance to the the real thing ....woodysy  cooking sauce....?....Hys seasoning salt ...Lawrys seasoning junk...Kirklands powdered chemical garlic ,sounds like some kind of well done Salisbury steak ...all it’s missing is “ mushroom gravy “   The  “ real deal “  all American  hamburger is somewhat  near an 80 / 20 mix of various secondary cuts but great tasting  quality beef ...it’s all about the beef....never less than  an inch thick ..only seasoning on the exterior.... so it doesn’t dry out the meat  ( fact ) .. seared ..but most of all... never ...ever cook it past medium. .even that’s a push . Anything else fast food  junk ., .  Cocinart does a good job for about 100 pesos  , When  it comes to beef  etc. we should probably be listening to rafter , most food knowledge does not come from books...it’s called ..experience !

In your haste to be disagreeable you misquoted HappyJ. He never said he was describing “the perfect burger.” He said, “I can't even remember the last time I had a burger around here other than on my Weber” and went on to describe how he makes his burgers, the way he likes them. But, of course, the only “real” burger must be made the way you make it whether other people enjoy it that way or not. 

• Like 6

On 12/8/2019 at 8:59 PM, kam said:

Are you sure? No mention of that on their FB page.

This is bad info---Purple garlic Pizza Brothers is still on the Ajijic plaza, there has been no rent increase, I am the lease holder. The reason that they are closed right now is because of the bad accident that Javier got into in an Uber in front of Walmart last week. We hope he is on his way to recovery and will reopen quickly. No need to report a premature demise.....sorry I couldn't pull up the original quote, but it is mentioned on their homepage.

My favorite burger is medium ground beef 70%, then coarse ground pork belly, 30%. When seared over high heat, the pork chars nicely and greatly enhances the flavor. I sold my meat grinder, trying reduce meat consumption, and the carniceria is reluctant to switch out grinding blades when they are busy.

Xenia...firstly Toms original post was “ great burgers “ , secondly I don’t cook burgers , I was explaining what  the industry standards are for the preparation of a high end $ 10 - $ 15 burger in the U .S .  There is no great haste  on my part to be disagreeable...I have only 118 posts in the last few years , not 4000 like yourself...that’s haste . I tend to limit my posts to subjects I have an actual knowledge of . Do l have an “ attitude “ ....obviously .

• Like 1
  • Sad 2