Chapala.com Webboard

Great Burgers

tomgates

There is a new place that features several innovative burgers and mac n' cheese. It is Lake City and located out west of Ajijic, about 1/2K passed La Ankla and Jicomate, on the mountain side.  Google maps and Facebook have the location wrong. Open at 12 noon. 

Burgers come with fries and some sauce on them that I thought would be better without. I'm a ketchup kind of guy. 

No argument there. But look, as an aside? Anyone making burgers out of Angus beef is nuts. First of all, the cost. Second, there is not nearly enough fat for a burger. Third, when I can get a full shrimp dinner for $139, why would I pee away $220 on a damn burger? But maybe that's just me... In any case, $180p for a mushroom burger is what I pointed out, independent of beef prices. That is just nutz.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

No argument there. But look, as an aside? Anyone making burgers out of Angus beef is nuts. First of all, the cost. Second, there is not nearly enough fat for a burger. Third, when I can get a full shrimp dinner for $139, why would I pee away $220 on a damn burger? But maybe that's just me... In any case, $180p for a mushroom burger is what I pointed out, independent of beef prices. That is just nutz.

"The emperor had no clothes" saying comes to mind when I here people in this area wax poetic about nonsense like this. And you are absolutely correct,REAL burgers need lots of fat as found in the cheapest ground beef.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Tom Gates:  Why not really get into the real reason as to why innocent newcomers post on this forum.  Why not post the following and thereby eliminate  a whole lot of drivel :  Which restaurants are the really worst restaurants here at Lakeside and what exactly is your opinion based on?  It would likely result in some (hopefully)  insightful answers that, in the simplicity, of a response, provides a meaningful and believable answer.  Ideally, an acceptable and thereby "directional" answer to what most honest posters are looking for!  Tom, you've been around (and around) the block many times... so why not get to the heart of the matter?  You're not going to offend anyone!

Cocinart is the gold standard for quality and reasonable price in Ajijic and most of the area IMHO.  We seem to be emulating the wild inflation in restaurant pricing that has happened NOB.  What is it about this business that causes it to raise prices so rapidly?  You would think the level of competition around here would exert some pressure on prices.  Apparently not.

• Like 3

Mexican places here don't exhibit this kind of behaviour. It is almost entirely a response by places that are either patronized or owned by expats. Exacerbating the issue is that we have so many newcomers who think a 200p hamburger is a damn good price compared to "back home", the concept of local economics is lost on them. So it continues.

• Like 4

If anyone would like to try this restaurant before making negative comments, they might find these burgers far superior to most.  They are very large and extremely tasty and, no, as far as we are concerned using really good beef is not lost on a hamburger unless you drown it in catsup ....then, yes, why pay the price.  The service is excellent, the food is absolutely delicious and you don't go away hungry for sure.  Everything is fresh and plentiful.  The cheese is real and plentiful.  The fries are excellent as well.  I understand prices are higher but the meal is more than large enough and good enough to warrant it.    Not only have food prices gone up significantly but so has the exchange rate.  At this point we are paying no more than we did when we moved here 14 years ago when the exchange rate is taken into consideration.  Oh!  I forget the hamburger buns!  They are real buns that are buttered and toasted and don't get soggy and fall apart.  The burger is big enough that I eat it with a knife and fork.  We are going to try one of the Mac and cheese dishes that comes as a meal with a salad today ... halving that and one of the burgers.  Will let you know about the Mac and cheese.

• Like 1

As long as you're happy. I don't agree that really good beef is not lost on a hamburger. I also don't think it is necessary to compare 14 years ago prices. It is what it is, in relation to all the other current prices around here.

But I also have a problem with fancy-priced mac 'n cheese. It's just macaroni and cheese, no matter the quality of the cheese, to me. I've tried several around here, and would not get it again.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Mexican places here don't exhibit this kind of behaviour. It is almost entirely a response by places that are either patronized or owned by expats. Exacerbating the issue is that we have so many newcomers who think a 200p hamburger is a damn good price compared to "back home", the concept of local economics is lost on them. So it continues.

https://www.worlddata.info/cost-of-living.php

This "thinking" skews the local economy at the detriment of all in the long run. One should not compare prices at a specific location to another, since numerous factors are different.

• Like 1

The Mac and cheese was fantastic.  They have several recipes to choose from.  The hamburger today had meaty bacon, grilled onions and grilled poblano peppers and Gouda cheese in a pretzel hot buttered toasted bun.  The Mac And Cheese had several cheeses ...one of which was brie and tiny sauteed tomatoes.  It came with a small salad, half a pear topped with cheese and 2 pieces of garlic bread.  We could not clean our plates.  BTW,. If you price the cheese at any store you will find that cheese is just cheese is lost on the supplier.  There are some really tasty cheese to be had but you pay more than what you would for the run of the mill plastic wrapped stuff.  However, I wouldn't complain much either if costs were what they used to be.  Of course, when we arrived here 14 years ago our housekeeper (who still works for us) was sleeping in a home with her family with no windows or doors, on the floor on a pallet.  Our dog beds were better.  I am really happy that at this point she and her family have windows and doors with screens and beds to sleep in.  She doesn't come to work hungry any more so I don't have to give her breakfast or see that she had lunch because that may be the only meal she gets that day.  She now has a pair of eye glasses so she can see the dirt and dust she is cleaning.  Little things like that ... but, sure, who wouldn't want to pocket double the pesos we get from our money we bring down and just let the people who help us every day stay where they were sleeping on the floor with rain or mosquitoes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Of course, when we arrived here 14 years ago our housekeeper (who still works for us) was sleeping in a home with her family with no windows or doors, on the floor on a pallet.  Our dog beds were better.  I am really happy that at this point she and her family have windows and doors with screens and beds to sleep in.  She doesn't come to work hungry any more so I don't have to give her breakfast or see that she had lunch because that may be the only meal she gets that day.  She now has a pair of eye glasses so she can see the dirt and dust she is cleaning.  Little things like that ... but, sure, who wouldn't want to pocket double the pesos we get from our money we bring down and just let the people who help us every day stay where they were sleeping on the floor with rain or mosquitoes.

What does this have to do with the quality and price of a hamburger being served in a restaurant? It's a good thing you've helped your housekeeper improve the quality of her life, but it still has nothing to do with the topic being discussed here. If you wish to discuss philanthropy, start another post, and see who can outdo whom.

• Like 2

Its gringolandia remember.

Where the expats want it to be like up north,  willing to pay up north prices, over tip, say how cheap things are here and willingly pay over the top for services . They are actually ruining the local economy for locals and other expats who are actually are aware of mexico,its cultures and foibles and general cost of living.

I have lived in a few countries,  without American u.s. expats and never ever experienced this nonsense before.

In some countries the locals would not appreciate this interference. Here as well, but they arent going to cut off the hand that feeds them.

My mexican partner is horrified at the prices lakeside, and the attitude by expats. She isnt from here and sees things from an outsiders point of view.

By all means support your favorite charity, pay a sensible wage and give a christmas bonus but do it with common sense, but as cg states thats sorely missing. 

Its mexico, fit in!

• Like 6