Chapala.com Webboard

Why Do Mexicans Tile Their Pools?

Just curious as to why the standard here is to tile the entire interior of the pool instead of just above and below the waterline with the rest a white plaster as is standard NOB?

Is there some specific reason for this?  Availability of the right kind of plaster?  Water quality issues?  

The pool next door to us was plastered in the usual NOB style.  It hasn't done well because of poor maintenance.  They've let the pool turn into an algae farm several times and that stained the plaster.  That would have made a mess of the grout lines as well.

I have seen some small beads pressed into plaster at some pools in Cabo and I see some samples of same at Albercas del Lago in Riberas. As for tile, if 99% of pools are 100% tiled, we may not know the reason but there most certainly is a reason.

They tile everything. Before cement tile was available for patios, sidewalks and carports they would use indoor tile for outdoor patios, driveways and sidewalks even many would tile the public sidewalk outside their fences' on the street. When it rained and was wet I would slip and slide and some people I saw ended up on their knees and butts. I might guess that they really like tile.

• Haha 1

Nothing is more durable than well fired ceramic. There is still centuries old ceramic from Abysinia. It keeps its gloss and is easy to clean. Then comes the necessity of grout, which complicates everything. I spent a few days in hospital next to an abanil from Guadalajara who told me he is one of the few who could trowel out a pool, with a finishing layer of (usually) white marble sand. So that may be your answer, many of these old skills have been lost, including running concrete or plaster in place.

Tile is less porous. Much like a fiberglass pool it will require less chemicals, and is more resistant to algae formation. Because the labor here is so low it is common.  Also  plaster, Star Brite, etc. finish is affected more by the chemicals & time. In Florida many pools need to be re-done after 7 or 8 years. 

I had a pool in Canada that had a plastic liner and a pool in Mexico that I had tiled. I also monitored a large tiled pool in Mexico. A tiled pool is definitely harder to keep clean. But the tiled finish lasts much longer. Tiled pools can be more interesting to look at. Tiles are cheaper in Mexico and are quite durable. Some are still plastered but there are newer finishes than plaster or tile now.   

https://www.riverpoolsandspas.com/blog/best-interior-finish-for-concrete-pool

https://www.google.com.mx/search?newwindow=1&sxsrf=ACYBGNS-uabea694qmnnneKFT7NSlKV5Dw%3A1571276293166&source=hp&ei=BcanXcqiB5L--gSwyr6wAQ&q=finishes+for+interior+of+swimming+pool&oq=finishes+for+interior+of+swimming+pool&gs_l=psy-ab.12..0i22i30.1793.16590..18878...0.0..0.157.4151.15j23......0....1..gws-wiz.......35i39j0i67j0i131i67j0j0i131j0i20i263j0i22i10i30j33i22i29i30j33i10.aYYT5BR9b_A&ved=0ahUKEwiKua6qlKLlAhUSv54KHTClDxYQ4dUDCAc

https://www.landscapingnetwork.com/swimming-pool/interior-finishes.html

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

It's not just Mexico. I have never been in a pool in Canada, either private or public, that wasn't tiled.

My parents pool in Ontario as well as our neighbours pools only had tile for about a foot near the top . Pool tiles were very expensive in Canada back in the day.

I asked this question of our contractor, when our (tiled) pool was being installed 2 years ago. 

First: NOB we use cement/concrete/gunnite to line the pool because it is cheaper. A tiled pool NOB would be double the price of a normal pool. VERY high-end homes or spas will tile their pools. There was an article a couple of years ago in Architectural Digest which was about Mexican master pool-tilers being flown into the US to tile some 5+ million USD estates. 

Second: durability. As my contractor explained, pool tiles are durable and incredibly long-lasting. A Mexican builder--who turns up his nose at the way US homes are constructed, with drywall and cardboard interior doors--is of a mindset that if something is built, it should be built to last, to withstand earthquakes and various other forces of Mother Nature. True, construction in Mexico may be wonky, and crooked, because everything is built by hand. Nevertheless it is generally built with longevity in mind. 

kimanjome: Your contractor is exactly correct. I may ask to meet him. I had a gunnite/sandblaster custom made in Canada. At the last minute, I sold it to him as well a galvanized utility trailer. He is an expert on VW engines, especially vans. He has a whole farmfield/scrapyard full of scrapped Beetle and Vans. He now wants to spend his winters in Mexico. This is basically a 30 hp gas compressor, I forget c.f.m. etc, but it could easily power 3 or 4 Mexican Tirolessa sprayers for concrete, and can than fit through normal wide doors, for sandblasting, etc. Many people want their interiors to go back to raw brick.

https://www.mortarsprayer.com

• 2 years later...

Cedros,

Saw your post, just what I’m looking for in terms of info! Thanks.

We have a glass mosaic finished infinity pool on beach in south west area of Mexico, Guerrero.

However within a year tiles were popping off. It’s been 3 years now and we’ve had tiles put back on again and again. Our contractor is anxious to remedy the problem one last time just as we are. Apparently all manufacturers instructions were followed as this was a brand new tile on the Mexican market. Fortunately we have a good relationship with our builder and we are confident we can get it sorted properly.

We selected tile for all the right reasons, longevity and beauty. However there is something wrong here. My research tells me it’s a mechanical problem in terms of materials ie. grout, epoxy, concrete surface and such.

I would appreciate any feedback or insight from you as to how we might approach the problem.

Thank you, Kathleen