Chapala.com Webboard

House sale in Arkansas docs need to be notarized

41 minutes ago, 777 said:

I am closing on a house in Arkansas. I've been asked to get documents notarized. I assume I need an American notarization.

How can I do that here? Ideas?  Thanks

You can get a notary from the American Consulate in Guadalajara or there is someone here locally that is a notary from another US state if you are comfortable with that.  Some people will give all types of warnings that it is not a good idea to use the US Notary here.  We can discuss via PM if you wish.  I personally won't use the Consulate notary because the fee is ridiculous for notarizing signatures.

8 hours ago, bmh said:

it is cheaper to pay the fee than having problems later ..No?

One of the judges on daytime tv often repeats a saying popular in Cuba. "The cheap becomes expensive" applies here.

When selling what is for most people their primary asset, you don't want any issues that might later bite you in the butt.  

When our house closed in July we drove to the consulate in GDL. They have a US notary there that speaks English. Check their website. No appointment needed. Just be persistent at the entrance. Like all US government offices, no one knows anything. Be persistent. The notary is there. $50.00 US

45 minutes ago, Mijo said:

No appointment needed. Just be persistent at the entrance.

"Notarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only"

https://mx.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/notaries-public/

Simply go to the nearest Mexican Notara Publica.  By international treaty, their notarization is perfectly legal in the USA.  I have done that and sold USA property using Notario #5 in Chapala.

A US notary cannot legally notarize anything outside of his home jurisdiction. Don't be fooled!

• Like 1

...Just be aware their fees may be the same as in the Consulate or sometimes more. They usually charge "per signature" so depending on how many you need... They are perfectly legal as RV says whereas a US Notary outside of their jurisdiction is definitely not legal.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, RVGRINGO said:

Simply go to the nearest Mexican Notara Publica.  By international treaty, their notarization is perfectly legal in the USA.  I have done that and sold USA property using Notario #5 in Chapala.

A US notary cannot legally notarize anything outside of his home jurisdiction. Don't be fooled!

You can quote the law all you want we have found many places, banks and government offices who will NOT accept a Mexican Notary.  My wife was an attorney, real estate broker and a mobile notary and for the vast majority of US notaries they cannot sign and stamp in any state but the state they are licensed in. A few exceptions in a few places exist relating to corp law and international signings but the vast majority of notaries cannot sign in Mexico.  Also be aware when you sign you write the place of signing and I bet no one writes down Mexico.  Go to the Consulate and pay the money and remember it is per signature and many documents have many places to sign. Yes it is expensive but it is legal.   

• Like 3