Chapala.com Webboard

New Restaurants - Opening too soon - Irreparable damage!

Carnivore

At Scallions a wine list is in the works for introduction in November.  Their original Guadalajara supplier failed to deliver as promised.  Management now fully realize that their temporary existing offerings are less than satisfactory and they intend to do far better.  In the meantime a $150.00MN cover will be applied to those patrons who want to bring their own bottles.

As for the restaurant itself and food.  Incredible wood burning pizza oven that provides temperatures to 600 and 700 Celsius. This provides for an incredibly excellent finished product in less than 5 minutes.  A "world class pizza (pie) crust" to be proud of!

The kitchen:  Meticulously clean and well organized and, overall the restaurant premises are exceptional.   We can only speak to what we've eaten after coaxing by management.  An abundant appetizer of Thai style calamari was about the tastiest calamari we've ever had.  Their other calimari appetizer was also excellent with a unique dipping sauce.  In both cases the very lightly coated calamari was tender with a texture that felt like it would "melt" in your mouth.  The oven roasted beet salad.......again abundant and wonderful.  The Margarita pizza was as close to being the most authentic and tasty that we've ever eaten...even in Italy.  The crust was superb!   An additional offering of bruschetta with a wonderful topping of chilled freshly marinated tomatoes pushed us along to deciding that this restaurant, if they continue to develop as management are promising.........will become a more than welcome addition to our restaurant community.

Oh, one more positive note.  A made to order (exactly) margarita that I would describe as being every bit as good as the best margarita I ever had previously.  Wine, currently aside, Scallions has a well stocked bar with a very talented, personable, knowledgeable and experienced bartender.

3 hours ago, barcelonaman said:

I just dont understand this love in with hamburgers and pizzas.

Both are cheap to make unhealthy foods that really arent worth the bother.

If I'm going out to a restaurant im certainly not ordering that. I want something special. 

So eat what you like and let others decide what they like.  You don´t have to understand it anymore than they have to understand what you like.

I just don´t understand this projection of one´s preferences of food on others by demeaning what others eat.

If you are going to rid the world of hamburgers and pizzas and the people that eat them because of your opinion, you´ve got  a long road ahead of you. 

From a lover of "special" pizzas and "special" hamburgers, and definitely not bothered by the bother to obtain them.

Sorry for not understanding your opinion and what is unhealthy about them…….meat? cheese? wheat flour? various vegetable condiments? etc.? etc.? what?...…...terrible stuff LOL

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Xena said:

I think whether it is the right emoji or not depends on what Menudo believes it means. 

As with all things on this board, it is our job to police everyone... PLUS if we don't get what he meant, then it's of no use, right?

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, slainte39 said:

So eat what you like and let others decide what they like.  You don´t have to understand it anymore than they have to understand what you like.

I just don´t understand this projection of one´s preferences of food on others by demeaning what others eat.

If you are going to rid the world of hamburgers and pizzas and the people that eat them because of your opinion, you´ve got  a long road ahead of you. 

From a lover of "special" pizzas and "special" hamburgers, and definitely not bothered by the bother to obtain them.

Sorry for not understanding your opinion and what is unhealthy about them…….meat? cheese? wheat flour? various vegetable condiments? etc.? etc.? what?...…...terrible stuff LOL

Yeah I love good pizza too.  The secret is moderation in all things lovable but not so healthy.  

• Like 3

So hamburgers and pizza are junk food ?   Beyond you ?  Give it up, you´ll never understand, google or no google.  Just be happy that you are going to live longer and be healthier than those of us that subsist and thrive on "junk food".  Sorry I can´t explain my love for it better, other than, I just like it.

Of course they are. Cant you read nor understand? The whole world understands  they are junk food and can be tasty. You for one are obsessed  thats obvious. So go right ahead.i have never said anything to the contrary . But every bloody new so called restsurant that opens and sells burgers gets the rave treatment.  Have you every been to a real restaurant  serving real food not fried , nor deep fried?.that's been my point all along ,and you say demeaning what others eat, how about your comment ,eating with the celery stick crowd???

By the way i have stage 4 lung ,liver and colon cancer so my chances of me out living most others are zero.

Im done.

The biggest obstacle facing "Scallions" is getting past people who simply remember the place as "Salvatores".  The totally renovated location (next to El Torito) is no longer a cafeteria serving inexpensive breakfasts and lunch.  It's a full fledged, well maintained restaurant with an exciting menu, excellent food, service and pricing.  Once they become known...........providing they keep their current focus, they stand a very good chance of becoming "the place to go" in Ajijic.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Interesting how Carnivore puts the blame of the bad reviews on the customers, they are ignorant of fine dining, they only like "junk" food such as hamburgers, etc. Much as the perpetrator blames the victim and society for his bad behavior. I have dined at Scallions as well and found them lacking. Each time I went, not once, not twice, not three times, but four. I gave them plenty of chances at all meals of the day, breakfast, lunch and dinner and they failed every time. I no longer have their number in my phone.

• Like 1