Chapala.com Webboard

Still looking for good pool contractor to overhaul my pool

Plumbing is good but need a complete redo of tile and rebuilding of the top 8 inches.  Rudy Renteria is the best I know but he's just not available, even over the winter.  Would like to get this done by the end of February.  I want someone who know where to get and how to use the best fortified cements and epoxy grouts.

Thanks!

Mainecoons- there is a special adhesive/grout specifically for pool tiles. It's called pegavenecianos. It is used to cement the tiles to the pool walls and is meant to be put on thickly enough that it squishes up between the tiles and also serves as the grout. Sometimes they have to add a little after the tiles are set in spots where it didn't squish up enough, but there isn't any need for a different product for the stick-um than for the grout. 

I understand epoxy grout is less likely to stain.  That is a problem with my current pool.

Still looking for a pool contractor who does good and reliable work like Rudy Rentaria.  I don't need any work on plumbing or electrical, just repair at the top, retiling and new coping.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

I understand epoxy grout is less likely to stain.  That is a problem with my current pool.

I see, well that may be true. I don't have a pool myself, but I tiled my shower floors in pool tiles, used the pegavenicianos for both the cement and the grout, and have never had the grout stain and it's a very light color- construction is 11 years old. The pools I've seen where tiles have fallen off and grout is stained were ones where white cement was used, as opposed to the pegavenecianos. 

On 10/12/2019 at 10:29 AM, Mainecoons said:

Plumbing is good but need a complete redo of tile and rebuilding of the top 8 inches.  Rudy Renteria is the best I know but he's just not available, even over the winter.  Would like to get this done by the end of February.  I want someone who know where to get and how to use the best fortified cements and epoxy grouts.

Thanks!

Epoxy grout is a 100% water barrier, but it does turn yellow with UV light. There is one that is resistant more than most, but it is not available in Mexico. You have to protect it with a clear, or colored, aliphatic urethane resin as used on airplanes and marine. As far as the "best" fortified cements they are designed per job, often mixed on site. I wish I could help you but I became "sensitized" to epoxy quite a few years ago, I break out with terrible allergies.

9 hours ago, sue said:

Talk tp Gustavo 333-157-3048  He builds pools should have no problem with redoing tiles.  

Is this the Gustavo that lives over around Seis Equinas?  Big heavyset guy?

I had that one do some plaster repair and painting and the work wasn't very good.