Chapala.com Webboard

Recent Inbound Border Re-entry Experiences

MexLuis

For Jreboll,

Mexico does require auto insurance, but nobody will ask you for it until you are involved in an accident.  You had better be insured, and have the "get out of jail coverage", or you will have a very unpleasant experience.

1 hour ago, freewilly said:

Anxious to explore Mexico....so the advice is either road in MX is as enjoyable? We are driving a convertible.....

If your question is 'which road is more "enjoyable", down 85 to Monterrey/Saltillo and then on to Zacatecas or going through Ciudad Victoria'.... then the Victoria route would be my choice. It is, however, 2.5 hours and 200 miles farther that way to Zacatecas.   I can't say that there is anything 'enjoyable' about going from Laredo to Zacatecas on 85/40/54 other than there are more cuotas and it is quicker to that destination. 

Ruta 49 going north of Zacatecas is really poor until you get to the bypass cuota around Torreon.  Because the trucks have damaged the entire route from Zacatecas to Juarez so much we find ourselves driving in the left lane most of the time, only moving over when overtaken.  It is not a correct way to drive but it beats being beaten to death by the rough right lanes.  Mexico really needs to do something about weighing these trucks.  

3 hours ago, RickS said:

MC, the OP would not be coming through Torreon or using ruta 49 coming from Blanco.... he/she would use ruta 54 from Saltillo down to Zacatecas and that road is a good, wide 2-lane road all the way.

Yes I know, just letting you all know about the other road.

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

Yes I know, just letting you all know about the other road.

That road.... Ruta 49.... NW of Fresnillo has been bad for 'many' years. I quit going that way unless absolutely necessary. Too bad to hear that it is still in poor shape. Thanks for that update.

the road from saltillo to zacatecas is wide 2 lane in good shape until north of concepcion del oro then it goes to 4 lane divided in good shape. i set the cruise to 75mph and people pass me going at least 90 a lot. there are no tolls on that road from saltillo to just north of zacatecas and then 2 small tolls on the bypass around the east side of zacatecas. the tolls from ajijic to colombia bridge thru aguascalientes, zacatecas,saltillo monterrey are about 800 pesos. there are 9 gas stations between saltillo and zacatecas and its a 4.5 hour drive.

13 hours ago, wanderer said:

the road from saltillo to zacatecas is wide 2 lane in good shape until north of concepcion del oro then it goes to 4 lane divided in good shape. i set the cruise to 75mph and people pass me going at least 90 a lot. there are no tolls on that road from saltillo to just north of zacatecas and then 2 small tolls on the bypass around the east side of zacatecas. the tolls from ajijic to colombia bridge thru aguascalientes, zacatecas,saltillo monterrey are about 800 pesos. there are 9 gas stations between saltillo and zacatecas and its a 4.5 hour drive.

In the 70´s when I travelled 54 between Saltillo and Zacatecas, there wasn´t one Pemex after you left Saltillo until the north side of Zacatecas.  I used carry extra gasolina as I was always on "E", burning fumes when I got to Z.

New development: Looking for someone to split the driving with... We've got the vehicle (and references), and will take a passenger in exchange for driving. 

Must be comfortable driving a van. Leaning on the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge, and Anzalduas bridge at Pharr, Texas.  

We plan to make it a one day drive.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/10/2019 at 3:28 PM, MexLuis said:

We are planning to re-enter Mexico late October.   (Update fyi: we are coming from direction of New Orleans)

We normally enter through Laredo. 

To those who have entered recently through TEXAS border crossings, (in past couple of months) what was your experience like?

And lastly; Is anyone (like us) planning their entry come last week in October/to Ajijic/Chapala?

Crossed this week at Columbia, got a green light No Problems. There is an opportunity to stop in Monterrey at the City Express on the left after a drive of 3 hours. At Five hours in there is a nice place, Hotel San Pedro in the median of the toll road. Easy drive total time from Columbia 10:45 to 12:00 depending on your driving style.

We will be driving from Houston and crossing at Pharr.  Really could use some recommendations on a place to stay on the US side in or near Pharr, Texas.  We plan to spend the night on the US side and resting before crossing the border the next morning.

Someone is to meet us on the Mexico side , what would be a good place to meet up--could be at a hotel on the Mexico side where they could spend the night.

On 10/14/2019 at 1:34 PM, MexLuis said:

New development: Looking for someone to split the driving with... We've got the vehicle (and references), and will take a passenger in exchange for driving. 

Must be comfortable driving a van. Leaning on the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge, and Anzalduas bridge at Pharr, Texas.  

We plan to make it a one day drive.

If you are not on the road already I can offer you a turn by turn from Columbia Solidarity to Ajijic. Send me you email address by private message and I will send you the log..