Chapala.com Webboard

Recent Inbound Border Re-entry Experiences

MexLuis

We are planning to re-enter Mexico late October.   (Update fyi: we are coming from direction of New Orleans)

We normally enter through Laredo. 

To those who have entered recently through TEXAS border crossings, (in past couple of months) what was your experience like?

And lastly; Is anyone (like us) planning their entry come last week in October/to Ajijic/Chapala?

Yesterday’s news was that one of Brownsville’s bridges was closed because migrants had decided to camp out on the bridge.  Last Feb. the Progreso bridge was using only one lane because of the migrants.  On another note I had heard that Mexico was requiring car insurance but when I crossed they didn’t ask me for it. 

Laredo bridge 2 crossing has a large number of inspection stations for your vehicle. More red lights and more scrutiny of vehicle contents. At 6AM  I was inspected with a green light. a month later entering I got a red light at 7:30AM, but all the inspection stations were in use so I was waved on to exit. 

I would highly recommend Anzalduas bridge at Pharr, Texas.  Crossed a couple of weeks back around 7:30 a.m. and was third in line for TIP and 180 day visitor permit.  In and out in 30 minutes or less.  Laredo has only gotten worse recently, crossed there two months ago,  with all the immigrant activity and all immigrants being detained in Nuevo Laredo.   Plus locating the aduana office is a major headache and a number of the border patrol agents in Laredo are complete jerks.

For us, Andalucia is way out of the way in terms of both routes coming from the north and where most of the hotels, shopping and places to eat are.  Also I don't see why anyone would want to cross at McAllen and then go out of the way to go south via Laredo.  Crossing at Pharr puts you on a straight shot to the south and also avoids a lot of tolls.  There are no tolls until you are well south of Ciudad Victoria and only a short portion of driving on that truck jammed road north of San Luis Potosi.

We are going that way in a week and a half and I'll post a trip report when we reach Pharr.

If you are coming from the east it makes little sense to wade through Laredo, which is much busier than Pharr and as I noted a more direct, lower toll route south.  We've never been delayed going south, sometimes we get the red light and a cursory check and that is it.  Many more choices for hotels and eating on the U.S. side of Pharr/McAllen and you bypass all urban areas until you get to Lagos de Moreno.  

(Mainecoons) . So Pharr is McAllen, correct?   What is the route traveled after that crossing?  Are we still on tollroads?

Has anyone done this Pharr/McAllen in the past two months?  I hear things have changed recently, and there are more checks/payment demanded?     

Feedback from those who have used Pharr/McAllen in the past few months please.

No, Pharr is Pharr, not the McAllen bridge that takes you into Reynosa.  You go straight out from the entry check onto a short toll road that takes you south of town and follow signs to San Fernando or Guadalupe Victoria.  No driving through Reynosa or any other urban area until that awful ring road around Lagos de Moreno.  No way to avoid that one, unfortunately.

I crossed at Anzalduas two weeks ago.  Plenty of hotel, shopping and eating places between Pharr and Laredo.  Left aduana at 7:30 and arrived back in SAT at 6:30.  Eleven hours with only minimal gas and bano breaks.   Mostly close to speed limit.  Paid 1,480 pesos in tolls, 14 toll booths.  Easy drive.  Used WAZE gps.  

If you go the Pharr way how are the roads? On the map they look a lot curvier than the Laredo route. I've wanted to try that way some time but was hesitant because it looks like too many curves. Also the map says there's only 21 minutes difference. Not much unless there is a benefit.

15 hours ago, MexLuis said:

Maincoons, Once having crossed the Pharr-Reynosa International Bridge, what is the route involved to navigate to Lake Chapala?

Just drive straight south following signs to San Fernando and Ciudad Victoria.  First you'll go on a short toll road to the exit at the overpass onto Ruta 97 which merges with Ruta 101 South, as you approach Ciudad Victoria you can take a bypass clearly signed to San Luis Potosi.  At the end of Ruta 101 there's a short stretch on 75D over to the main road south, Ruta 57 and from there it is the same as the other route.

Question:  Has anything been done at all to fix that terrible bypass around Lagos de Moreno?  Headed that way in a week.

Between Ciudad Victoria and San Luis Potosi there is some really nice scenery.  If you have extra time, stay in Ciudad Victoria and then take the mountain route to where it rejoins the main road south of CV and on the other side of the mountain.  Twisty and spectacular!  We did this on a recommendation by RV Gringo and it was just excellent.