Chapala.com Webboard
Bisbee Gal

Hottest New Chef on the Internet

This Michoacan abuela has gotten a big buzz in a short time.  See story here: https://hiplatina.com/mexican-abuela-traditional-recipes-youtube/

Really sweet and informative.  The videos I have watched have Spanish closed captioning so they are also free language lessons!  English closed captioning also available.  

The videos are short (under 5 minutes) and she cooks in her traditional outdoor kitchen, nothing fancy.  

Video link here, 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJjyyWFwUIOfKhb35WgCqVg/videos

• Thanks 1

She’s something...great little videos .l intend to watch them all ,I just wish she cooked here .  Someone will eventually I hope  ‘ til then we’ll have to make do with pseudo gringo restaurants.

1 hour ago, Ian Greenwood said:

She’s something...great little videos .l intend to watch them all ,I just wish she cooked here .  Someone will eventually I hope  ‘ til then we’ll have to make do with pseudo gringo restaurants.

...and why would  a chef of that caliber want to cook here in this outpost of civilization?😄

Personally, I have been happy to find plain old "good food" in some of our local restaurants, and at reasonable prices.  The selection is far better than it was when we moved here ten years ago.  This isn't New York or San Francisco where most retired expats couldn't afford the prices in the first place, so what's with your criticism as in "pseudo gringo"?

11 minutes ago, gringal said:

...and why would  a chef of that caliber want to cook here in this outpost of civilization?😄

Because  we are the brightest and  best with lots of greenbacks  burning  holes in our pockets 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I f you watched the videos before you jumped  , you may perhaps realize that she is a wonderful home cook ,who makes the simplest of Mexican recipes with ingredients from her garden  ,  farm to table . Chicken stew , piccadillo , potato omelette etc ....we’re not talking expensive Mexican haute cuisine here , just well cooked  tasty Mexican food ,that is available in many areas of Mexico ...just not here . We also moved here over ten years ago  and are more than pleased with  our restaurant options as we dine out often , but lament  the lack of  good Mexican Restaurants . If you didn’t get what a pseudo American restaurant is ...look around you , look at the menus , read the reviews on this  board  ,the lack of consistency  etc . etc . I could go on but you have 8000 posts ... and I have a busy life enough said .

...enough 

There are actually lots of nifty little "Mexican" places around; one just has to sniff them out. At the Pemex in Ajijic, for instance. A different special every day. Chicken pipian is a favourite.Memo's pozoli on Hidalgo: would easily qualify for any of those You Gotta Eat Here type shows on TV. Huge portions, amazing flavours, dirt cheap... the best home cooking. It takes forever to make it properly.