Chapala.com Webboard

Current info on dealing with scorpions

I have searched the forum for info and hope no one minds if I ask for current information on how to deal with scorpions on our property. We have found 3 scorpions in our home in the last 4 days, one in our master bedroom closet 4 days ago and 2 in the living room right out in the open this morning. I am not so afraid for myself or my husband but definitely am for our 3 kitties and toy poodle. Hopefully the 110 lb German shepherd would not be affected too seriously as he is as big as some people.

Anyone have good information on what is safe to use when pets are in the household and if so information on who we could have do that? I can do the spraying if there is a product that we can use safely with our animals. I am very opposed to pesticides normally. I have cinnamon and bay leaf and lavender and peppermint oil strewn all around the place but 2 scorpions just lounging in my living room in plain sight is just scary with my smaller critters. 

Any educated information would be greatly appreciated!

The best solution is to keep scorpions out of the house.  I learned this after three stings.

All door bottoms need to sealed with (sweeps), (weather stripping), (folded towels), etc.

If you have roof openings, like a fireplace, screen the openings. 

Any wall openings need to be sealed.

Some cats are good at killing scorpions, they clench their paws and punch them to death.

• Like 1

Go to a garden center and pickup a packet of Cynoff. Mix the powder with 3 litres of water and spray around doors, windows and other areas where a scorpion might gain entrance. Once dry the solution is harmless to pets. Scorpions will still get in (they are a robust creature, but they will be weakened considerably). And what jh5127 said above.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MarkWebles said:

Go to a garden center and pickup a packet of Cynoff. Mix the powder with 3 litres of water and spray around doors, windows and other areas where a scorpion might gain entrance. Once dry the solution is harmless to pets. Scorpions will still get in (they are a robust creature, but they will be weakened considerably). And what jh5127 said above.

We had a fairly serious infestation  of every bug imaginable when we bought our house, and with small Chihuahuas we couldn't risk them being stung. We did exactly what the two posters above suggested and we continue to spray outside and inside regularly. We occasionally get a scorpion in the house or find one outside, but they are usually on their deathbed because they have crossed at least one line of Cynoff on their way in.

Cynoff is also sold at most ferreterias, too, which is where you'll by your pump sprayer. Cheap and easy and as Mark said, once dry it is not a problem for pets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jh5127 said:

The best solution is to keep scorpions out of the house.  I learned this after three stings.

All door bottoms need to sealed with (sweeps), (weather stripping), (folded towels), etc.

If you have roof openings, like a fireplace, screen the openings. 

Any wall openings need to be sealed.

Some cats are good at killing scorpions, they clench their paws and punch them to death.

And some CATS are not good at all at killing them.  I've known cats to be killed by scorpion stings.....       

1 hour ago, MarkWebles said:

Active ingredient in Cynoff is cypermethrin..... HIGHLY toxic to cats.  Does not affect dogs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkWebles said:

Thanks. I did not know that. Having only dogs I've never investigated further.

You're welcome.  ANY insecticide that contains all/part of the word permethrin (permetrina), cypermethrin, etc. is very toxic to cats, fish, and BEES.  So be careful when and where you spray as the world is losing bees at an alarming rate.

• Thanks 2

We lived in Arizona for many years.  Our experience is, if a scorpion wants in, they will get in.  They are nomads.  We use Cynoff also and are very happy with it.  Whenever we find a scorpion, it is dead.  We have two dogs and they are not bothered by Cynoff.   You can buy it just about anywhere (the most expensive place that I have found is the Garden Center).  It is inexpensive, around 70 pesos for a packet. 

It is a little packet that you mix with water.  We use an old Home Defense large spray bottle.  Pour in the mix, fill with water, shake and you are ready.