Chapala.com Webboard

Why we need to tip the baggers at WalMart

12 hours ago, mudgirl said:

I don't think not just tossing change on the counter has anything to do with Mexican manners. I think it's poor manners anywhere.

My lawyer told me a story. He was closing a substantial real estate between an American investor and a Mexican property owner. The American signed the agreement and carelessly tossed over the pen to the Mexican. The Mexican stared at him, walked out the office, and refused all attempts at apology.

Yes, Mexico is a hierarchial society, but the glue which holds it all together is respect. What Henry did was not discrectful in any way. In fact many of these seniors that I have met, in learning more Spanish (they have the time and patience), often live with extended families and use the extra money to treat their grandkids. In which case a candy bar shared out would be a treat.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 5:09 PM, henrylaxen said:

Here is a helpful hint:

Sometimes I go in the store with just my credit card.  In order to tip the bagger, I buy a Snickers or Milky Way and give it to them when the are done.  I always get a nice smile in return.

Hopefully henrylaxen will carry change in the future but by buying a candy bar he at least showed he was thinking of the bagger and quite often the candy bar may have cost more  than the tip would have been.  I think the bagger appreciated the thought. It's a lot better than giving nothing.  I once was in a grocery in Ajijic and the expat in front of me only received two  2 hundred peso notes in change.  He asked for change for a tip for the bagger but the cashier refused saying she had little change.  He finally gave the bagger 200 pesos.  He should have bought a candy bar and had change for the bagger.  Later, I thought I should have given the expat some change for the bagger and I wondered if the cashier did not want to give the gringo change on purpose.

Or this other story which did the rounds a few years ago. A gringa is in a line, in a small tienda, in front of her is a Mexican mama with her of course adorable young son. The boy is acting up, wanting the candy which they always display at child's eye level at checkouts. The gringa interrupts saying that she would pay for the candy. The Mexicana says you don't understand, I can afford it, I probably have as much money or more than you do, I just don't my son to eat sugar at this time of the day!

• Like 1

While I do think it's sad that seniors have to bag groceries for tips in order to survive, I also notice that there's a social aspect to it as well. Just as seniors in Canada or the US might volunteer somewhere, or join a club or seniors center to socialize, I see the baggers talking and laughing with each other, so perhaps it has the added side benefit of keeping themselves active and in a setting where they have others their age to make friends with, especially if they are widowed. While most seniors in Mexico aren't shuttled off to an old folks home but tend more to live with family, if the young-uns are off at school and work all day, they might actually get lonely.

Of course this doesn't mean that they shouldn't be tipped, just that I don't necessarily see it as some 100% sad situation.

Just now, CHILLIN said:

Or this other story which did the rounds a few years ago. A gringa is in a line, in a small tienda, in front of her is a Mexican mama with her of course adorable young son. The boy is acting up, wanting the candy which they always display at child's eye level at checkouts. The gringa interrupts saying that she would pay for the candy. The Mexicana says you don't understand, I can afford it, I probably have as much money or more than you do, I just don't my son to eat sugar at this time of the day!

When my kids were small, I used to absolutely hate it when people did this. Even worse were the ones who held out some treat to my child, saying "Ask your mother if it's okay to have this." So now I'm instantly the bad guy when I say, no, we're going to have dinner in an hour and I don't approve of my kids eating candy and junk food, thank you very much.

• Like 1

I have found myself without cash lots of times and I have a lot of trouble with coins because of the condition of my hands. I usually tip way more than 20 pesos and also because of that thing with my hands I dump the change given by the cashier right on the counter. Have only had smiles and a few pats from the elders bagging groceries. I'm going to remember the chocolate bar or... idea. Thanks. 

• 3 weeks later...

It warms my heart to report that the other day I gave a double milky-way bar to the lady bagging my groceries.  She thanked me sincerely, walked over to her manager, and exchanged it for cash. 

Best wishes,

Henry Laxen

• Haha 5

Thanks for the nice post Henry.

Now...if you could just get your "sweet baboo" to slip 20 or 30 pesos in your pocket before you go for your walk...the baggers would be even happier with your tip.

Best regards

• Like 1
  • Haha 1