Chapala.com Webboard

Any informed comments on the Xone Phone?

Lexy

I've been reading a lot of the paid-for publicity as well as some of the reviews in major US newspapers or online of this new android phone called Xone. In a special current promotion it's being offered for under $200 usd. Has anyone on this forum bought one or have experience with one? Any informed comments to make?

Lexy

Not yet, but a customer of mine is awaiting his order to arrive, and I will be setting it up for him, so I should be able to tell some basics about it right away, and will let you know. Update: it still has not arrived from Singapore... been a month or so.

I worry that the great review it gets is from it's own Website...

https://xphone.toptechadviser.com/international-promo-g/

Great, CG. I look forward to your comments.

The link you sent--for sure that's not an unbiased "review". In fact it's close in wording and layout to what I read in the Washington Post--but that one indicated it was a paid-for promotional article.

Lexy

For slightly less money check out the Blu G9 with better specs and a bigger screen (6.3). I don't have one but have owned a Blu phone in the past and loved it and the price point. I do have trouble saying "price point" since I'm so old it was always just "price" but somehow it changed when I wasn't paying attention.

The link Mainecoons gave us is similar--in some cases, word for word--to pieces I've seen. The producers of this phone are obviously going all out in an expensive international PR and marketing effort. Reviewers and columnists seem to be hopping on it, parroting what is basically a company's news release. I haven't come across yet what appears to be an objective review.

I tried to order the phone earlier today. The company is suggesting to do so online on their "official" site. My effort got me a repeat of the hard-sell promotional copy in English and an order form in Spanish. Couldn't get one in English, no matter how or where I tried. Also couldn't get an order form that took American Express, although a promotion page listed this credit card.

Still, I wanted it now. At less than $200 usd how wrong can I go? Especially since my Samsung Galaxy is acting up. The Galaxy Cricket was my beginners effort in mastering a Smart phone like all the big kids have.

Lexy

Actually, that top10gadgets site seems to be basically a shill for anyone who will pay them a fee. A huge part of their Website is actually dedicated to soliciting same.

I agree with Pappys that the whole Blu line of phones is pretty amazing for the price. I used one while in Canada for a couple of weeks, and apart from me wanting a better camera, I could find nothing to complain about.

6 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Actually, that top10gadgets site seems to be basically a shill for anyone who will pay them a fee. A huge part of their Website is actually dedicated to soliciting same.

I agree with Pappys that the whole Blu line of phones is pretty amazing for the price. I used one while in Canada for a couple of weeks, and apart from me wanting a better camera, I could find nothing to complain about.

It did sorta read that way but they did talk down the camera.

I'll be interested to read your feedback CG.

I didn't find any sites that weren't "official" sites or a couple of paid-ad type sites. I think I'd take a deep breath and wait a few months to see how well the phone actually works for real people. Remember all the hype around the Samsung Galaxy model that turned out to have all sorts of problems?

Take your misbehaving phone over to the Computer shop in the Riberas strip mall. He is really good with smart phones.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pappysmarket said:

For slightly less money check out the Blu G9 with better specs and a bigger screen (6.3). I don't have one but have owned a Blu phone in the past and loved it and the price point. I do have trouble saying "price point" since I'm so old it was always just "price" but somehow it changed when I wasn't paying attention.

How about "signs" now being referred to as "signage". Lots of baby talk, too. I wore sweatshirts with hoods when I was a teenager. They were called hooded sweatshirts, now they're "hoodies". My babies wore sleepers. Now they're "onesies". A photograph you took of yourself was called a self-portrait, now it's a "selfie".  Adults talking like 4 year olds.

• Haha 2