Chapala.com Webboard

What ever happened to that TelMex fiber optic upgrade?

In sat.

Myself and some neighbours got upgraded from 5 to 20mbps some 3 months ago. Worked great for a month.

Then two months ago we still get 20 till about 3pm, thereafter 1 or 2.

Spoken with telmex cdmex and local office many times. Thers just not sufficient capacity is the final answer.  No sign of it improving. 

Affecting quite a few areas.

We are going to try ilox.

God knows whats going to happen when snowbirds get here..

• Like 1

TelMex appears to have done what it does best: make an announcement, ride on the coattails for awhile, then sneak off back to oblivion. There is some fibre installation on their part, but it seems they prefer to work initially with those fraccs that are willing to pay a huge amount upfront. The competition that spurred them into activity seems to be a dead horse to them now. No one at tech support or the local office can tell us where or when, a continuing sign of their inability to do anything right.

People complain about iLox's poor customer service (and it is poor), but they have nothing on TelMex, who promise promise promise and never deliver... and never feel the need to offer any explanation.

• Like 1

No TelMex improvement here,  western side of Centro.  We remain throttled at 5 mb (my neighbors get around 8, but as a 'new' customer TelMex limits us to 5, even though we pay for 10).  

Happy with Ilox.  We will likely keep both as internet is important to us and TelMex is only 389 per month and includes a landline.  Given our experience with internet in MX, having a back-up is a good idea.  

• Like 1

Apparently the distance between my internet connection via telmex in my house to the DSLAM card (where those two wires from my home connect to the internet) is only 1070 meters and the wiring is new so I occasionally get fast internet speeds. During periods when no one else is using the internet I can get up to 16 MB/sec. The trouble is any time other people are also connecting to the internet my speed goes down and often I am lucky to get 5 or 6 MB/sec.  Apparently the backbone or information highway between lakeside and Guadalajara is overloaded.

So, if I understand this correctly, no matter what Telmex does locally, until it increases the capacity of the backbone between lakeside and Guadalajara, the speeds will not get any better lakeside.

Possibly Johanson is partially correct.

If the problem is in high capacity times it could well be the connection between lakeside and GDL is not a large enough capacity. That would add to or amplify any  local congestion. 

No matter what system wired, cable, fiber optic, they each have a finite capacity.  

I am 1/2 km from a fiber optic dslam  on old wiring and at 1:40pm my download is 12.45 and upload 4.93 with the basic Telmex package.

On 10/4/2019 at 10:14 AM, Bisbee Gal said:

No TelMex improvement here,  western side of Centro.  We remain throttled at 5 mb (my neighbors get around 8, but as a 'new' customer TelMex limits us to 5, even though we pay for 10). 

I have never heard of such a thing. As far as I know, TelMex never throttles. Frankly, while they are already pretty stupid about service around here, they would have to be brain-damaged to have such a policy for new customers.

23 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I have never heard of such a thing. As far as I know, TelMex never throttles. Frankly, while they are already pretty stupid about service around here, they would have to be brain-damaged to have such a policy for new customers.

They were very above-board about it when we signed up in April 2017 at the local office, told us twice before we left the desk.  I remember how the man who spoke English, pointed to the 10mg on the contract and said, "but you will never get more than 5mg, that is all we can give you as a new customer."  He said it to us again when we were leaving his desk, I guess to ensure we wouldn't come back and complain.    

We later tried to do an end-run by contacting Mexico City office directly.  All they did was relay that info back to the Ajijic office, so we were back at square one.

Ah, I see. I don't believe it. It is just their latest in a long line of excuses. They would give you 10 automatically if the infrastructure would allow it. They just know now that you couldn't get it, period. That your neighbour gets 8 is merely a fluke of installation, wiring, servers, and so on.

We used to be able to rely on Mexico City not spoon feeding us lies. No longer.

ALL our neighbors get between 7 and 8 consistently.  And we NEVER go above 5.0.  I used to check it a lot and it can't be happenstance that we never get above 5.0; otherwise at least once in a blue moon we'd hit something else as the high.  But it is always 5.0.  I believe they have set us for 5.0....maybe at our line to the house.  Not sure.  

And no, I do not routinely see black helicopters 🚁

On 10/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, ComputerGuy said:

TelMex appears to have done what it does best: make an announcement, ride on the coattails for awhile, then sneak off back to oblivion. There is some fibre installation on their part, but it seems they prefer to work initially with those fraccs that are willing to pay a huge amount upfront. The competition that spurred them into activity seems to be a dead horse to them now. No one at tech support or the local office can tell us where or when, a continuing sign of their inability to do anything right.

People complain about iLox's poor customer service (and it is poor), but they have nothing on TelMex, who promise promise promise and never deliver... and never feel the need to offer any explanation.

Mike, I don't quibble with your comments on Telmex service. But I will say that they have started to bring fibre into our gated community and the cost per house was less than half of what people paid when they signed up for Ilox. I certainly wouldn't describe 4500 pesos as "a huge amont upfront". Admittedly, the Ilox sign up included service for some period of time, but still....

• Like 1

Until about April Telmex had set the maximum download rate in my modem to 10 but I never got above 8. When I first had Ilox installed I was having a lot of problems with download speed so I would test Telmex occasionally. I was getting, and still get about 35 down in the morning and about 5 down at dinner time. I checked the settings in the modem and Telmex had changed the max download speed to 60. I presume the drop in speed through the day on Telmex is due to congestion.

1 hour ago, conejorapido said:

Mike, I don't quibble with your comments on Telmex service. But I will say that they have started to bring fibre into our gated community and the cost per house was less than half of what people paid when they signed up for Ilox. I certainly wouldn't describe 4500 pesos as "a huge amont upfront". Admittedly, the Ilox sign up included service for some period of time, but still....

Exceptions to every rule, of course. :)

1 hour ago, Out1 said:

Until about April Telmex had set the maximum download rate in my modem to 10 but I never got above 8. When I first had Ilox installed I was having a lot of problems with download speed so I would test Telmex occasionally. I was getting, and still get about 35 down in the morning and about 5 down at dinner time. I checked the settings in the modem and Telmex had changed the max download speed to 60. I presume the drop in speed through the day on Telmex is due to congestion.

Modems that TelMex uses have caps built in to the firmware, but it's not because they don't want the customer to get more than that. It is configured intentionally to allow for the best service under the circumstances provided by the local infrastructure. As circumstances change... for example, when they began switching over from ADSL to VDSL... the remote office will change those settings. Mine jumped from 10 to 20 to 40 over the last few years, with no physical intervention to my place. Certainly, the concrete slab down the street that feeds the neighbourhood would have had some work done to enable the improvements. But VDSL in unique in that it requires no physical upgrades to most equipment. And then there are areas that absolutely do require physical improvements, and I'm pretty sure TelMex leaves those 'til the bitter end.

Interestingly, my current modem (and I have several, and they all have pretty much the same settings) is set at 39349Kbps, which is exactly what I get. Last time I checked with TelMex in Mexico City, they told me that was the max for my area. Maybe not, who knows. But any modem that was set to 10, and I've never seen that, would automatically change as improvements to service warranted. No "capping".