Chapala.com Webboard

U.S. DL Double citizen can buy a Mexican car and drive it in the US?

1 hour ago, Francisco1302 said:

First of all, sorry for my english

I have lived in the USA for a few years, and I have property in Monterrey that I go to literally every weekend, would there be any problem with having a Mexican car with my Texas driver's license?

Only if you plan to continue to live in the USA..

Said differently, regardless of what drivers license one has, one can bring a Mexican plated vehicle into the US for up to one year continuously. Since you would be taking the vehicle out  of Mexico 'every week' , would one start over every week with the 1-year. I know of no law that says one can't do this 'forever'. Insurance on the vehicle... in the US.... might be a question to solve. 

36 minutes ago, RickS said:

Dicho de otra manera, independientemente de la licencia de conducir que uno tenga, uno puede traer un vehículo chapado en México a los Estados Unidos por hasta un año de forma continua. Dado que sacaría el vehículo de México 'todas las semanas', comenzaría de nuevo cada semana con su 1 año. No conozco ninguna ley que diga que uno no puede hacer esto 'para siempre'. El seguro del vehículo ... en los EE. UU. ... podría ser una cuestión a resolver. 

with a Mexican insurance with civil liability in the US can it be?

People living in the US cannot drive/have a Mexican plated vehicle in the US for more than 1 year no matter if they take the vehicle into Mexico every day/week/month etc.. It will be illegal for any legal resident or citizen of Mexico living in the US to own and drive a Mexican plated vehicle permanently in any state of the US. Forget that idea.

• Thanks 1

Each US state has rules/laws as to how long a resident may have their out of state registered vehicle in their resident state without registrating it in that state where they live. In California it is 3 months. The 1 year rule might not even apply to people living in the US but only applies to people living in Mexico full time such as Mexican citizens and legal residents. This I do not know.

2 minutes ago, Francisco1302 said:

How will they know that I have been with the car for over a year?

Sherrifs deputies will let you know when to remove the car permanently, not temporarily, possibly. They did with my ex-wife after 1 year seeing it around even though she frequently went to Mexicali. After 7 or 8 warnings she sold it in Mexico at a large loss. It was new when we were married. Big mistake to not buy a US car. The  peso devaluation made it a very good deal at that time. 1 1/2 years latter is was a bad deal for us.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Francisco1302 said:

How will they know that I have been with the car for over a year?

That's my question also. The law has no teeth as far as I know. 

Now if there are some law enforcement officers in your area that are just itching to give Mexicans a hard time, then it is probably not wise to tempt fate. On the other hand... and this is not a perfect analogy.... I live in Colorado in a college town and have been running South Dakota plates on one or two cars for probably 10 years. Not legal but my point is that no one is concerned enough.... and there are MANY out of state cars in a college town... to care. 

Based on where in Texas you actually live there could be a ton of Mexican plated vehicles on the streets.... 

I know of a Mexican citizen living in Texas driving an Jalisco plated Mercedes for 3 years with a Texas drivers license. The car has been back to Nuevo Laredo one time in those three years. 

He does live in a very upscale community and has been stopped only once( for speeding). He presented his Jalisco registration and Mexican insurance along with his Texas DL. The policeman never questioned the  vehicle.  

Every time the  vehicle enters and exits the US it is photographed front & back. I assume the license plates are entered into a database of some kind.  On entry they could be linked to your passport. On exit that is not done.  

Your biggest risk is the requirement that if you are a resident of Texas ( defined as having an address fro more than 30 days) you are required to register your vehicle within 30 days. If you are ticketed for that then you would have to remove the vehicle from Texas within a specified time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mostlylost said:

Su mayor riesgo es el requisito de que si usted es residente de Texas (definido como tener una dirección por más de 30 días), debe registrar su vehículo dentro de los 30 días. Si recibe una multa por eso, entonces deberá retirar el vehículo de Texas dentro de un tiempo específico. 

no, I am a citizen in both countries